Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Godzilla (1998) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
C 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 15

Godzilla (1998) 
College Boy Z

Post Godzilla (1998)
Godzilla

Quote:
Godzilla is a 1998 American action science fiction film directed and co-written by Roland Emmerich and starring Matthew Broderick, Jean Reno, Maria Pitillo and Hank Azaria. It is loosely based on the Japanese Godzilla franchise and is a re-imagining of the 1954 Japanese film of the same name.

The film tells the story of French nuclear tests in French Polynesia which irradiate nearby lizard nests. This causes a mutation to occur and a massive reptilian creature is created. The creature migrates to New York City and causes lots of damage. Dr. Niko Tatopoulos (Matthew Broderick) is called in to aid the military due to his research on nuclear radiation's effect on animals.

Godzilla was released on May 20, 1998 and became a major box office success, grossing $379.01 million Worldwide at the box office; however, the majority of critics gave Godzilla negative reviews and the film "won" two Golden Raspberry Awards for Worst Supporting Actress (Maria Pitillo) and for Worst Remake or Sequel.

An animated television sequel, Godzilla: The Series premiered on September 12, 1998 on Fox Kids.

Last edited by zingy on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:37 pm
Teh Mexican

im not a big fan of Godzilla, but i think its one of the Best done (i dont like the originals to crappy for me)
Great movie, Fun, entertaining!...one of my favorites of 1998!

B

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:41 pm
Hot Fuss

D

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
I just lost the game

I got this thing for Christmas. It was just one of those "I have to get you something, so ehre's some random DVD from th bargain bin" gifts. I finally got around to taking it out of the plastic wrap and watchign it over the past few days. I don't get all the negativity towards it. Maybe it was just something you had t have lived through, what with all of the hype and everything. But it wasn't as bad as I've heard it to be. It's no masterpiece. Not by a long shot. But it definitely is a worthy summer blockbuster and I'll end up watching it again.

B-

Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:40 pm
Golfaholic

Utter crap! A typical Emmerich movie. (D)

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:03 am
Cream of the Crop

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:06 am
Profile ICQ
Oh, I lived through the marketing campaign (his tail is longer than this building).

I waited in line, in the rain for this movie.

Blood was spilled that day.

C-

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:44 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Sat May 07, 2005 1:25 am
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

This one is being unfairly bad-mouthed, in my opinion. I mean what exactly did people expect from this one.? Man in the suit walking around and destroying Japanese cities? C'mon. This movie is perfect summer entertainment. I am not a huge fan of Matthew Broderick as a lead in an action flick, but Jean Reno is, as usually, a blast. This one ranks right next to Armageddon as one of the most unfairly bashed movies I know.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Unspeakably stupid. You will be at least a little dumber after watching this movie.

Goodness, and I clearly remember the insane marketing push this movie had in 1998 and how it just collapsed and completely failed to meet any of the lofty expectations put on it. Ah, good times.

D-

Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:24 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Underrated. It was the much anticipated followup by Devlin and Emmerich to Independence Day, a movie that became an instant favorite of mine, and I think it was a victim of the audience's expectations.

B

Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:37 pm
loyalfromlondon

Gets a bit too much hate, I think. It's not any dumber than, say, Independence Day, but that one is mostly favourably received. The story is pretty weak, yes, but the action scenes are fantastic and the special effects are amazing. Broderick and that chick are pretty bad, but Hank Azaria is good and Jean Reno is flippin' awesome. Typical summer blockbuster.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:06 pm
All Star Poster

I havent seen this film since I watched it theaters when I was 9. I thought it was ok but it probably needs a second viewing to get it fresh in my head. but for right now

B

Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:01 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: Godzilla (1998)
Zingaling wrote:
A great summer popcorn flick that gets some undeserved hate.

A-

It's hate is fully warranted and would've been nice if SONY,along with Roland and his partner would've at the very LEAST made GODZILLA look the way GODZILLA was supposed to look.. Trim about 20 Minutes off this movie also and lose the whole Baby Godzilla angle at the end along with the Cast, and well, how about just lose this movie all together?? I voted this movie a flat out "F" and the whole "SIZE DOES MATTER" Hyperbole ruined this movie..

Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:38 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

A-

This one is being unfairly bad-mouthed, in my opinion. I mean what exactly did people expect from this one.? Man in the suit walking around and destroying Japanese cities? C'mon. This movie is perfect summer entertainment. I am not a huge fan of Matthew Broderick as a lead in an action flick, but Jean Reno is, as usually, a blast. This one ranks right next to Armageddon as one of the most unfairly bashed movies I know.

YES.. With today's FX, they could've still used the Man in the Suit combined with CGI and made it all that much better and instead, GODZILLA looked more like a fuc*ing Salamander.. It was so bad that TOHO had to show the U.S how it was done and even went as far as to mock the U.S version of SONY'S GODZILLA in GODZILLA: ALL OUT MONSTERS ATTACK and then bitch slapped GINO in FINAL WARS..

Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:42 am
Profile WWW
Artie the One-Man Party

Dr. Lecter wrote:
A-

YES.. With today's FX, they could've still used the Man in the Suit combined with CGI and made it all that much better and instead, GODZILLA looked more like a fuc*ing Salamander.. It was so bad that TOHO had to show the U.S how it was done and even went as far as to mock the U.S version of SONY'S GODZILLA in GODZILLA: ALL OUT MONSTERS ATTACK and then bitch slapped GINO in FINAL WARS..

Riiiiight.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:34 am
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
A-

I'm with BKB on this one. Why even bothering to call it Godzilla? It looked more like a generic dinosaur than the character we all know and love. Plus, the story was stupifyingly boring...

1 out of 5.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:51 am
Devil's Advocate

Godziillaaaaaaa

I need to see it again, but I remember liking it a lot.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:15 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Really enjoyable piece of summer entertainment that doesn't take itself seriously.

B+

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:22 pm
Draughty

but not as bad as people say it was. I knew what I was getting into, it was a Roland Emmerich movie, anyone who expected some faithful Godzilla movie from that cheese-maestro hasn't been paying attention to his career. I expected silliness, along the lines of Stargate and that's about what we got.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Madoshi

If it weren't a Godzilla movie, I'd give it a much higher grade. My problem with it was simply is that if you call the movie "Godzilla", I expect a Godzilla film.

If you remove the background of Godzilla, if the original never existed, this would be a pretty good but not great American popcorn film. It has that great sequence about a 1/3 of the way in that is one of the best Monster movie sequences I've seen.

But therein lies the problem. It is after all, a Godzilla movie. Which means the attraction is watching Godzilla trash stuff. Gimme 10, maybe 15 minutes of setup MAX and then I want to see him stepping on tanks, punching out buildings, tackling other monsters, whatever. And I want to keep seeing it till we are done. When this movie finally gets around to that, its great, but there is simply not enough of it.

Side point: I am fully aware of the rather overt anti-nuke message in the original, which remained implicit if a bit expunged in the American version of the release. Never had a problem with it being there - cause Godzilla is all over the place trashing stuff. And I don't have a problem with the "message" in this version. Just show me the monster. They could have made this a great popcorn film even with all that in there if they'd just spent more screen time on Godzilla.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I'm still waiting for the sequel... :blush:

9.0/10 A-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:23 am
On autopilot for the summer

Blehhh

I never saw this film, never had an any want, especially after all the backlash, and even after the hoopla and 14 years, this film does not disappoint on how bad it is. They should have called this film The Attack of Godzilla's foot. Thats what the first half of the film is anyway. The effects are terribly dated. (I can't believe I read reviews where it was better than Jurassic Park in the effects department.)

I turned it off after about an hour. This film may be the biggest A production misfire of the 90s other than Mars Attacks.

I decided to check out the last scene on youtube. I wanted to see how it looked as a whole. Terribly bad. I think it's funny that Godzilla can run 100 mph and break through buildings, but bridge wires bring it's demise

F

This is by Godzilla standards, even worst by disaster movie standards, and yet even worst by Emmerich standards

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:49 pm
Forum General

Mars attack is a very funny movie as its so silly.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Agreed, I can at least enjoy it as it was made bad intentionally, Burton was still in his Ed Wood phase, but where as that film exceeded Mars Attacks pretty much failed.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next