Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Modern Times 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Modern Times 
Extraordinary

Post Modern Times
Modern Times

Quote:
Modern Times is a 1936 comedy film by Charlie Chaplin that has his iconic Little Tramp character struggling to survive in the modern, industrialized world. The film is a comment on the desperate employment and fiscal conditions many people faced during the Great Depression, conditions created, in Chaplin's view, by the efficiencies of modern industrialization. The movie stars Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Henry Bergman, Stanley Sandford and Chester Conklin, and was written and directed by Chaplin.

Modern Times was deemed "culturally significant" by the Library of Congress in 1989, and selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry. Fourteen years later, it was screened "out of competition" at the 2003 Cannes Film Festival.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:57 am
Profile WWW
now we know

A fascinating watch. I'm a big fan of Norman Wisdom and Jackie Chan so it's great to see where their inspiration in part comes from. Chaplin is the source of cinematic slapstick, and this was the first time I'd watched a Chaplin film. I even really enjoyed watching it from a solely historical perspective; seeing the world in 1935 (there was a billboard with the 1935 Ford on it which I thought was nice). Also the way the stunts play out and clearly being able to see the craft is entertaining in and of itself. Chaplin was obviously a talented performer, and it is a joy to watch his schtick. The factory opening is a slog, but when it gets to the jail and the department store (must have been an inspiration for Wisdom's Trouble in Store), then the cafe ending, it's delightful. Paulette Goddard was also lovely to watch. A real woman beauty, not like the painted-up, stick-thin hags of our modern times.

It's interesting to watch a silent-era film and also make a modern day connection, but watching a silent performer mouth words taps into a similar part of the psyche as reading an email conversation. Your head comprehends and puts a voice to the words in the same way. This connection made Modern Times more accessible to some degree, which wouldn't have been expected for a product that is 80 years old.

B+

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]