Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 eXistenZ 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

eXistenZ 

Post eXistenZ
eXistenZ

Quote:
eXistenZ is a 1999 psychological thriller/science fiction film by Canadian director David Cronenberg. It stars Jennifer Jason Leigh and Jude Law.

As in Videodrome, Cronenberg gives his psychological statement about how humans react and interact with the technologies that surround them. In this case, the world of video games.

András Hámori and Róbert Lantos the two producers of the film (who are both of Hungarian origin) said in an interview that they intentionally hid a pun in the title: "isten" is the word for "God" in Hungarian.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:29 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: eXistenZ
It's basically a thematic sequel to Videodrome. It deals with a lot of the same questions of virtual realities, existentialism, and media culture, only it does so fifteen years later, using video games and cyberculture, instead of television, as its starting point. And it's just as brilliant. The use of nested realities is both intriguing and thought-provoking, and the wonderfully self-aware performances from the two leads only add to this. Cronenberg tackles issues as wide-ranging as technology, sexuality, morality, and reality, and he does so in a much more subtle and effective way than was done in The Matrix, which overwhelmed this film. Plus there's his trademark grotesque imagery, a dark sense of humour that pervades every moment, and even a touch of self-reflexivity. Don't be dissuaded by the similarities to other films of its ilk; this is a superbly original work.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:44 pm
Extraordinary

I think I rented this way back after reading a review in EW. Maybe, it's been so long, but I really liked this film after watching it. It's one of those "twist" type films and it had interesting plot and idea and with good actors. I think I need to rent this again. It's a movie that lays in the back of your mind crying out to be rented after 12 months of not seeing it.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:31 pm
You must have big rats

B+

Hmm, I don't remember everything of it, so I definitely need to rewatch it. My grade is from a couple years ago. I definitely liked it, but thought that while the twists were pretty clever in themselves, the movie probably could have benefited from having a twist or two less than it actually did. The ideas behind the thing as well as the visual execution are pretty good, however, I've just gotta compare it to The Matrix which is superior on nearly every level. (oh yes, the Cronenberg-ites here are gonna execute me now). This one's a visual treat, nevertheless and an interesting watch too. In fact, I liked all three virtual-reality movies released in that time a lot: The Matrix, eXistenZ and The 13th Floor. Anyone here seen the latter?

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Dr. Lecter wrote:
I've just gotta compare it to The Matrix which is superior on nearly every level.

Except in its exploration of the themes and issues, which is really the most important part. I'm as crazy about The Matrix as every other geeky white male, but it just pales in comparison to eXistenZ, which is just a lot more interesting.

Dr. Lecter wrote:
(oh yes, the Cronenberg-ites here are gonna execute me now).

You have no idea.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:14 pm
Teenage Dream

Dr. Lecter wrote:
I've just gotta compare it to The Matrix which is superior on nearly every level.

Why do you "gotta" compare it to anything, let alone a movie it's nothing like?

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:17 pm
You must have big rats

makeshift wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

They deal with virtual realities and perception of reality. That is close enough to compare.

(and how the hell did I just know that trixster and makeshift would appear in here after my review?! :P)

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

trixster wrote:
Except in its exploration of the themes and issues, which is really the most important part. I'm as crazy about The Matrix as every other geeky white male, but it just pales in comparison to eXistenZ, which is just a lot more interesting.

I think that the blend of entertainment, philosophical issues and reflections on some themes is just overall much more successful in the Matrix. It never overwhelms the viewer with either, but nothing comes too short either.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Dr. Lecter wrote:
makeshift wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

They deal with virtual realities and perception of reality. That is close enough to compare.

(and how the hell did I just know that trixster and makeshift would appear in here after my review?! :P)

I still don't understand why they have to be compared at all, but... whatever floats your boat!

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:40 pm
You must have big rats

makeshift wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
makeshift wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

I still don't understand why they have to be compared at all, but... whatever floats your boat!

They don't have to be.

I also don't have to compare someting like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Yet I do : )

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Its fun in that Cronenburg way. Kinda like the bastard child of Videodrome via the SEGA Virtual reality headset.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:03 pm
The Dark Knight

A-

Excellent film. One of my favorite top films. I love movies with a twist at the end, which make you also think afterwards.

Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]