Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Run Fat Boy Run 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Run Fat Boy Run 
Extraordinary

Post Run Fat Boy Run
Run Fatboy Run

Quote:
Run Fatboy Run is a 2007 British comedy film directed by David Schwimmer, written by Michael Ian Black and Simon Pegg, and starring Pegg, Dylan Moran, Thandie Newton, Harish Patel, India de Beaufort, and Hank Azaria. It was released in the UK on September 7, 2007, in Canada on September 10, 2007, and in the United States on March 28, 2008.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: Run Fatboy Run
Simon Pegg is a funny, funny guy and has surrounded himself with some really funny and talented people its just to bad he let Schwimmer ruin what could've been a really fresh take on the rom-com with his mediocre un-inspired directing. Run, Fatboy, Run has some hilarious moments, sadly those parts aren't the center of the film and are often far and few between. But when they're there its comedy gold, the supporting cast are really the stars of the film. Pegg was serviceable in the role of the lovable loser, Newton was just kind of there, and Azaria was such an asshole I almost believe it's not to far from his real life persona. The film begins strong and shows hints of greatness throughout but do to Schwimmers inexperience as a director the middle of the film to wander into a more traditional (safe) setting and tone with the end becoming an giant ad for Nike, which spoils most of what came before. That being said its still an entertaining film and its worth checking out for the supporting cast.

Grade B

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:09 pm
Extraordinary

Outstanding acting - - dear Thandie, I've loved you ever since Beseiged - - and Simon, you're on a plain ol' hot streak - - and Hank, this is surely your best non-voice work since America's Sweethearts...

Outstanding writing - - once again, Simon, you have taken the cake and baked it too... Bravo!!!

Wimpy, mediocre direction - - yeah, that's right, it's directed in the same manner as David Schwimmer acts - - non-existant... Bleccccchhh!!!

So, I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad, so instead of scoring it 15 out of 5, I'll divide by 3 and multiply by 2 and give it a:

10 out of 5.

(Don't miss it!)

Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:38 am
On autopilot for the summer

Not particularly funny, but I enjoyed it throughout. Simon Pegg and the supporting characters are a lot of fun, and I thought it was just a good movie with some laughs and a fun if cliched take on the underdog.

Solid B

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:23 pm
He didn't look busy?!

got to see one of the sneaks of this last weekend, and i was so delightfully surprised. Simon Pegg was pitch-perfect for both the funny and dramatic parts of his character, Hank Azaria was solid (although his shift into asshole-land was a bit unbelievable), Thandie Newton was good, and the guy who played Pegg's mate was hilarious. They were all working with a solid script and a great story that offers both laughs and a bit of inspiration at the end (I've run almost every day since watching this). A great directorial debut for Schwimmer.

A-

Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

billybobwashere wrote:
got to see one of the sneaks of this last weekend, and i was so delightfully surprised. Simon Pegg was pitch-perfect for both the funny and dramatic parts of his character, Hank Azaria was solid (although his shift into asshole-land was a bit unbelievable), Thandie Newton was good, and the guy who played Pegg's mate was hilarious. They were all working with a solid script and a great story that offers both laughs and a bit of inspiration at the end (I've run almost every day since watching this). A great directorial debut for Schwimmer.

A-

I pretty much agree with that word for word so I won't get into much more detail, but I think anyone expecting a spoof or satire like Pegg has done before, might be a little disappointed since the film isn't really going for big laughs (they should also see more of Pegg's films). The film goes from being an amusing comedy, to a somewhat (as you said) inspirational sports film. Yes it's a little generic and yes we've seen it all before, it's just that the film does it exceptionally well. Maybe it's just because I'm a sap for these kind of sports film endings, but I really enjoyed this much more than I thought I was going to. I went in expecting to like it, but I didn't expect to leave almost loving it even though it does very little that's new. It just has a nice take on it.

***1/2

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Run Fat Boy Run
Fun and sweet. Not much more. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

B

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:52 pm
Forum General

Thegun wrote:
Not particularly funny, but I enjoyed it throughout. Simon Pegg and the supporting characters are a lot of fun, and I thought it was just a good movie with some laughs and a fun if cliched take on the underdog.

Solid B

I remembered the bolded above so I expecting a good movie that was dry.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty funny and there were some big laugh out loud moments.

Pretty much a pleasant surprise all around - except for the cliched last half of the race.

and Thandie Newton still looked good - years after Mission Impossible.

and what a shock when I saw Ross as the director - guess it is his first movie after directing about 20 tv episodes.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:55 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Grill wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Solid B

I remembered the bolded above so I expecting a good movie that was dry.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty funny and there were some big laugh out loud moments.

Pretty much a pleasant surprise all around - except for the cliched last half of the race.

and Thandie Newton still looked good - years after Mission Impossible.

and what a shock when I saw Ross as the director - guess it is his first movie after directing about 20 tv episodes.

It was funny. I just found it more as a charming movie with laughs, or rather the main purpose of the movie was not to bring laughs, but it did have a good amount and I did laugh, so perhaps not the best choice of words

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:46 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Run Fat Boy Run
Simon Pegg is one of the best comedic actors out there and Run Fatboy Run proves this again. Another classic yet Hot Fuzz is still my fav from him.

A

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Now that's an overlooked fun romcom. It's actually among the better offerings of the genre that I have seen in a long time. As it has been said above, David Schwimmer's direction is simply mediocre and the screenplay isn't great either, it's the cast that really makes it work. Simon Pegg simply shines in this and the supporting cast surrounding him is very good as well. Harish Patel is basically replacing Nick Frost here, Dylan Moran delivers a solid turn too and Hank Azaria is simply delightful to watch as the villanious competitior to Simon Pegg's Dennis.

I think what distinguishes this movie from many other romcoms released in recent times is that unlike most of them, it doesn't just opffer the "rom", but also fully delivers on the "com" part of the equation. I found several scenes in it to be flat-out hilarious with the best probably being Simon Pegg and Hank Azaria going to the gym together. I really lost it there. As far as the romance goes, it's solid too, but I must admit that the comedy outweighs here and works better. Maybe it's because Thandie Newton's character isn't really well-developed or because she and Pegg don't have much chemistry. In any case it's still a funny and enjoyable movie.

The ending is predictable in a way, but it doesn't quite arrive there in a way one would expect (those who have seen the film know what I'm talking about). Overall, I should say that I wish more romcoms would be like this ne, offering romance as well as humor. It was also unsual for a romcom to actually focus on the guy and not the girl. Of course the whole set-up was very unusual for a romcom as well (the guy runs off on the day of his wedding, dumping his pregnant fiance). I'm not sure something like this would have been made in the US and it just adds to the British charm of the icture. It's really a pity this movie bombed in the USA and pretty much everyhwere else except for the UK. I hope more people will seek this out on DVD because it really is worth your time.

Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]