Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Scent of a Woman 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Scent of a Woman 

Post Scent of a Woman
Scent of a Woman

Quote:
Scent of a Woman is a 1992 drama film that tells the story of a preparatory school student who takes a job as an assistant to an irascible, blind, medically retired Army officer. It stars Al Pacino, Chris O'Donnell, James Rebhorn, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Gabrielle Anwar. It is a remake of the Italian movie Profumo di donna (1974), directed by Dino Risi.

The movie was adapted by Bo Goldman from the novel Il buio e il miele (Italian: Darkness and Honey) by Giovanni Arpino and from the 1974 screenplay by Ruggero Maccari and Dino Risi. It was directed by Martin Brest.

Al Pacino won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance; the film was nominated for Best Director (lost to Clint Eastwood for Unforgiven), Best Picture (lost to Unforgiven) and Best Adapted Screenplay (lost to Howards End).

The film won three major awards at the Golden Globe Awards: Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor and Best Motion Picture - Drama.

Portions of the movie were filmed on location at Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey, the Emma Willard School, an all-girls school in Troy, New York, and at the Ethical Culture Fieldston School in New York City.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 am
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Post Re: Scent of a Woman
Even if it's far from his best movie, it's Al Pacino's best performance, and the fact that the rest of the movie even comes close to keeping up with him, not to mention has a very moving last forty-five minutes or so, shows that it accomplished a lot.

A-

Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Godfather part 2 was his best hands down.

Good movie and really showed he can really act apart from being a mob boss.

Really the scene of him dancing with the rather nice looking girl was very good.

A-

Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Magnus wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:
it's Al Pacino's best performance

Yeah....no.

Godfather Part II, Godfather Part I, Scarface, and Serpico were better performances. But it still is a fantastic performance.
well I disagree; he was terrific in Part II, but the first Godfather wasn't a film built around his acting much; Scarface wasn't a great performance as much as a great character, and I haven't yet seen Serpico. So this or Godfather Part II...regardless, this was a rare occasion where he was a lot better than the film he was in.

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

lol

What a horribly banal, hopelessly generic movie. This is the shit they were passing off as Best Picture nominees back in the day?

I especially like the utter triviality of that final scene, one that is given dramatic importance simply because the film needs a high note to end on. What a load of cheese.

And Pacino isn't really acting, he's doing a Pacino impression. A bad one. An Oscar for this, but not for The Godfather Part II? I think not.

I also thought it was funny that Martin Brest disowned the airplane version of this film. Dude, you're Martin Brest. Take what you can get.

So yeah, lame movie.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:00 am
Sbil

I sort of like this movie, but admit that the end is one of the most over-the-top Hollywood endings I've ever seen.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:04 am
Forum General

Quote:
What a horribly banal, hopelessly generic movie. This is the shit they were passing off as Best Picture nominees back in the day?

actual, imo and by the dragging ratings and relevance of the Oscars, ONE can easily argue the opposite is happening.

There are some real good films being won, however the Academy's ignores all major films for nominations unlike in the past where the big film of the year usually got a spot.

I am not calling for Spiderman 3 to get nominated, but there is at least one one major film that can be nominated.

I think the ending is just nuts, however the dance scene is great.

Also, lay off the hate for Pacino, because he is a idiot now does not make him an idiot forever. I would have seen him gone for of the way of Robert De Niro though.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Mannyisthebest wrote:
Quote:

actual, imo and by the dragging ratings and relevance of the Oscars, ONE can easily argue the opposite is happening.

What are you talking about? Rewarding films that are actually good, over films that make a lot of money, is how it should be.

The problem is with the audiences, not the Oscars.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:07 pm
Forum General

So, you admit that big major films back in the day actually were Oscar worthy and 99% of major films today are not???

I am saying this it makes no sense as in the past, every year at least one major film usually a pretty good film gets nominated.

Like did Babel and dreamgirls really have to get 7 and 8 nominations?

When mediocre films get 7-8 nominations, you start to wonder why the Oscars are rapidly declining.

TDK does not deserve to win, but you must really be an elitist and way out of touch if you do think it should get a BP nomination.

Like back in the days, films like TDK always use to get nominations and the Oscars were very popular and liked.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

That's not what I'm saying at all.

The Oscars' recent trend toward nominating (relatively) small films that actually deserve it, over big films that don't deserve it, is a good thing and should be continued. Nominating shit like Ghost and Rain Man and this, while good for ratings, speaks rather harshly about the Academy's tastes.

If there is a big film that deserves to be nominated (like TDK), so be it. I don't like them nominating big films just because they made a lot of money. Quality should be the main reason for a nomination.

Scent of a Woman is crap. This is what's important here.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:10 pm
Sbil

trixster wrote:
That's not what I'm saying at all.

The Oscars' recent trend toward nominating (relatively) small films that actually deserve it, over big films that don't deserve it, is a good thing and should be continued. Nominating shit like Ghost and Rain Man and this, while good for ratings, speaks rather harshly about the Academy's tastes.

If there is a big film that deserves to be nominated (like TDK), so be it. I don't like them nominating big films just because they made a lot of money. Quality should be the main reason for a nomination.

Scent of a Woman is crap. This is what's important here.

Correction: Ghost is amazing. :yes:

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:47 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Mannyisthebest wrote:
So, you admit that big major films back in the day actually were Oscar worthy and 99% of major films today are not???

I am saying this it makes no sense as in the past, every year at least one major film usually a pretty good film gets nominated.

Like did Babel and dreamgirls really have to get 7 and 8 nominations?

When mediocre films get 7-8 nominations, you start to wonder why the Oscars are rapidly declining.

TDK does not deserve to win, but you must really be an elitist and way out of touch if you do think it should get a BP nomination.

Like back in the days, films like TDK always use to get nominations and the Oscars were very popular and liked.

I can't understand most of this post. Suffice to say, the Oscars have always rewarded pretty bad movies in a proportion that has changed very little over the years.

If anything they've only gotten slightly better since, as trixster said, it is now somewhat easier for smaller films not endorsed by the big studio machines to get inside the ceremony. Let me emphasize the word 'slightly,' though. Any difference is more or less negligible.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:54 pm
Forum General

I agree since Rotk, we have not seen one oscar worth blockbuster film, apart from TDK.

Blockbusters imo are actually getter worse as time goes on, however TDK reversed this trend.

About the Oscars, Different times, different tastes.

Lotr won 11 awards because everyone was forcing it upon them and really they were the best films of those years.
Ben-Hur and Titanic won 11 awards each, because they were sensations and were unlike anything ever before and now they are seen as decent films.

The question is though, why has the academy gone from usually nominated one the big films of the year, to just being an indie film festival. Like the last two years were great choices with Departed and No Country for old men, however some of the films they nominate are just stupid, even worse then some of those old blockbuster films.

Sure they "may" make better choices, however by giving Dreamgirls 8 nominations, I do not think they are.

We have seen the academy become increasingly irrelevant, as they think Juno and Babel were special.

I like their best pictures winners, but they can at least include better nominees.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:43 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

You two should be ashamed of yourselves.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:05 pm
On autopilot for the summer

This movie is soooooooo fucking long. Pacino does deliver a really great performance and character to add to his already impressive resume. Though I think I liked him even more in Glenngary the very same year. But his acting is definitely much better here. Especially the really nuance mechanics he used to effectively look and portray a blind man. Some of the scenes are truly great, but others are just complete filler. The rest of cast is effective enough. There's no reason this should be the same length as a Hobbit movie. One more edit to tighten it up and this could have been much better. As is the performance overshadows the rest of the film. B

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]