Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Usual Suspects 

What grade would you give this film?
A 71%  71%  [ 20 ]
B 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 28

The Usual Suspects 
College Boy Z

Post The Usual Suspects
The Usual Suspects

Quote:
The Usual Suspects is a 1995 American neo-noir film written by Christopher McQuarrie and directed by Bryan Singer. The film follows the interrogation of Roger "Verbal" Kint (Kevin Spacey), a small-time con man who is one of the only survivors of a massacre and massive fire that have just taken place on a ship docked at the Port of Los Angeles. He tells his interrogator, U.S. Customs Agent David Kujan (Chazz Palminteri), a convoluted story about events that lead him and four other high-profile criminals to the boat, and of a mysterious mob-boss known as "Keyser Soze" who commissioned their work. Using flashback and narration, Kint's story becomes increasingly complex as he tries to explain why he and his partners-in-crime were on the boat.

The film, shot on a $6 million budget, originally began as a title taken from a column in Spy magazine called "The Usual Suspects," after one of Claude Rains's most memorable lines in Casablanca. Singer thought that it would be a good title for a film, the poster for which he and McQuarrie had developed as the first visual idea.

The Usual Suspects was shown out of competition at the 1995 Cannes Film Festival, and then initially released in few theaters. It received favorable reviews, and was eventually given a wider release. McQuarrie won an Academy Award for the screenplay and Spacey won the Best Supporting Actor award for his performance.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:23 am
We had our time together

Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:39 am
Profile WWW
now we know

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:51 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

But seriously...

The Usual Suspects is a fuckin A+. Jesus Christ, just seeing Del Toro getting arrested in that opening montage is better than most of the shit out there today. This is one of the best crime movies EVER, without a doubt. How the hell did Stephen Baldwin deliver a performance this good? I mean come on, give credit where credit is due :wink: . Bryan Singer showed one hell of a deft touch in the director's chair for this movie, and there are some truly inspired camera moves to be found, along with the usual staples of a noir flick. McQuarrie delivers crackling dialogue and one hell of an ingenious plot and Singer's good buddy John Ottman supplies a supremely ass-kicking score.

"Oswald was a fag"

HELL YES!!!!!

Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A movie that I never get tired of watching, even with the full knowledge of the ending, just to enjoy the performances. They are so good. A+. One of the best movies in the 90's.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Direction, plot, and cast are all of an unbelievably high level and set a standard in storytelling which sends many of the films currently in theatres home in shame. This film is the proof that you don't need a multi-million dollar budget for that extra explosion or car chase. Nor do you need excessive FX to make a great movie.

The cast in this movie is exceptional. In 1995, none of the actors were real A-list actors, yet they deliver a great performance alone and as a group.

Brian Singer's solid yet subtle direction fits the story perfectly. I guarantee you the second time you'll watch this, you'll watch it with different eyes, which brings me to perhaps the best aspect of this movie, The plot. It's phenomenal. It starts out simple, then winds it's way into complexity only to leave you stunned at the very end, which is amongst film history's best.

A+

Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:38 pm
The Original

I give 8/10. For the Budget they have done a very nice movie.
But in the last time I have seen a lot movies with suprising ends so that one didnt wow me that much.
Sometimes I will see it agaon. Theres a lot in the movie which it seems you only discver with a second viewing.

Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:33 am
Mod Team Leader

Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

do NOT see this movie after youve watched Scary movie

Totally ruins the whole damn point of it!

Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

do NOT see this movie after youve watched Scary movie

Totally ruins the whole damn point of it!

Hahaha

Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

My AIM screen name is OtherKeyserSoze... guess if I like it. :wink:

Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:21 am
You must have big rats

A

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:19 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

A movie that completely takes you by surprise, 16 June 1999

" Keaton always said, I don't believe in God but he scares me. Well I believe in God and the only thing that frightens me is Kaizer Sauze. " Verbal Kint

So is one the coolest lines in the movie. And it is a line that sums up how this movie is great at playing with your mind and your emotions and takes you on a journey from point A to point B, then C and then Z and all points in between.

As the story goes 5 cons are brought together suspiciously in a line up and are eventually thrust into a crime spree together. But what happens later after their apparent one job is completed, puts all of their lives in danger. They may have been hired by the mythical " Kaizer Sauze " ( who strikes fear in mens hearts just by the mere mention of his name ) to complete one further job where, if they succeed, will be free to divide up 91 million dollars in drug money. Quite the tempting proposition. But the story is just one of the elements that make this film work.

The men chosen to play the roles of Keaton ( Byrne ) Hockney ( Pollack ) Fenster ( Del Torro ) McManus ( Baldwin ) and Verbal Kint ( Spacey ) were probably done so because they were not major Hollywood players. Even Kevin Spacey at this time was a B actor at best. This was before his academy award and before Seven. And the budget for this film was not that large. But what the casting did by having these actors play the roles of these five men was create excellent characters that are now so familiar to us that I don't believe anyone could have played the roles better. The energy and charisma that they have together is amazing and watching certain jarring sessions between men is like watching Shakespeare ( if you're into that sort of thing. )

Of course the most brilliant thing about the film is how it is summed up at the end and if you do figure it out before they tell you everything, hats off to you. But my guess is that you won't and that makes the movie so much fun. This is a near perfect film and it is worth watching many times

Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Brilliant movie. Completely shocking ending. :shock:

"Hand me the keys, you fucking cocksucker."

A+

(ugh...thanks whorino.)

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:21 pm
Sbil

Yes! =D>

A+

(ugh...thanks whorino.)

Um, we all told you.

Hahhahaha.

But, yes, awesome movie.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:50 pm
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:
Yes! =D>

A+

(ugh...thanks whorino.)

Um, we all told you.

Hahhahaha.

But, yes, awesome movie.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

...but lightning won't strike twice with As Good As It Gets. :-#

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:51 pm
Extraordinary

Glad you liked it, it's really an amazing movie. You might like As Good As It Gets, unlike Something's Gotta Give, which is a pile of dog shit, it's pretty damn funny and smart.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:56 pm
College Boy Z

Glad you liked it, it's really an amazing movie. You might like As Good As It Gets, unlike Something's Gotta Give, which is a pile of dog shit, it's pretty damn funny and smart.

Wow, there's another person on the boards who didn't like Something's Gotta Give. :shock:

I thought it was incredibly overrated.

*runs from Libs and her pitchfork*

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:57 pm
Sbil

Killuminati510 wrote:

Wow, there's another person on the boards who didn't like Something's Gotta Give. :shock:

That's because you can't relate to it :razz:

Well, I can't really either, but I understood it all much more than a typical young male would.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:59 pm
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:
Killuminati510 wrote:

Well, I can't really either, but I understood it all much more than a typical young male would.

True. But, if I can't relate to that, can I relate to...As Good As It Gets? :wink:

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:02 pm
Extraordinary

I can appreciate a good romantic comedy........ some of the time ( though they arent something i'd watch much ), Gotta Give just didnt cut it for me, it was boring and unfunny, As Good As It Gets on the otherhand is very well done and has plenty of laughs, Nicholson's character is just plain great. It appeals to more people.

Last edited by Joker's Thug #3 on Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:04 pm
Sbil

True. But, if I can't relate to that, can I relate to...As Good As It Gets? :wink:

You don't need to relate to As Good As It Gets.

It was different in Something's Gotta Give, where you would only find some of it funny (for example, Diane Keaton crying non-stop) if you understood it.

Plus, As Good As It Gets won Oscars for Best Actor (Nicholson) and Best Actress (Helen Hunt), received nominations for Picture, Screenplay and Supporting Actor (Greg Kinnear), *and* made $150M at the box office.

It's the perfect recipe for a smashing good time.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:05 pm
College Boy T

Zingaling, it's hard not to love As Good As It Gets.

I've watched it more than any other movie, give or take a few (Ferris Bueller I've seen just as many times). I finally bought it about three years ago after having watched it 5+ times on TNT. I've since watched it about 10 or so times. It's one of my "feel-good" movies.

There's not a single bad moment in the movie. And, if you want the truth...

I got this close to crying (not because it's depressing, though) at the end. I still feel it coming whenever the ending nears...

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:20 pm
Sbil

Zingaling, it's hard not to love As Good As It Gets.

I've watched it more than any other movie, give or take a few (Ferris Bueller I've seen just as many times). I finally bought it about three years ago after having watched it 5+ times on TNT. I've since watched it about 10 or so times. It's one of my "feel-good" movies.

There's not a single bad moment in the movie. And, if you want the truth...

I got this close to crying (not because it's depressing, though) at the end. I still feel it coming whenever the ending nears...

Pretty much.

Of course, it's my all-time favorite movie, so...

*He needs to see it*

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:22 pm
Where will you be?

Zingaling wrote:
Killuminati510 wrote:

Hey, I completely understand it, and I still thought that while it was solid, it was definitely nothing special in the slightest. Though hey, before you kill me too I loved As Good as it Gets. :wink:

Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next