Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 

What grade would you give this film?
A 78%  78%  [ 45 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 58

College Boy Z

Post The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Quote:
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is a 2003 epic fantasy-drama film directed by Peter Jackson that is based on the second and third volumes of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. It is the concluding film in The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, following The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) and The Two Towers (2002).

As Sauron launches the final stages of his conquest of Middle-earth, Gandalf the Wizard, and Théoden King of Rohan rally their forces to help defend Gondor's capital Minas Tirith from the looming threat. Aragorn finally claims the throne of Gondor and summons an army of ghosts to help him defeat Sauron. Ultimately, even with full strength of arms, they realise they cannot win; so it comes down to the Hobbits, Frodo and Sam, to bear the burden of the Ring and deal with the treachery of Gollum. After a long journey they finally arrive in the dangerous lands of Mordor, seeking to destroy the One Ring in the place it was created, the volcanic fires of Mount Doom.

Released on 17 December 2003, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King received rave reviews and became one of the greatest critical and box-office successes of all time, becoming the highest grossing film from New Line Cinema, as well as the biggest financial success for Time Warner in general. Notably, it won all eleven Academy Awards for which it was nominated, an Oscar record (tying with Ben-Hur and Titanic). It also won the Academy Award for Best Picture, the only time a fantasy film has done so.

Last edited by zingy on Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:17 pm
Indiana Jones IV

One of my 5 favorite movies of all time, incredible, great, so moving, superb, just fanatasic.

A+

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Superb finale to the greatest trilogy in cinematic history. Even with multiple storylines and a broad cast, it never loses its focus or its flow - something that plagued the second film every so often. Superb performances all-around, with Astin, McKellen, and Bernard Hill standing out. The action scenes are outstanding and the effects, of course, are top-notch. So many memorable images from the film. And, despite the hype, there aren't that many false endings and the film ends appropriately. However, this is the only film of the trilogy that is not improved by the extended edition. It makes it far too long and adds too many scenes (Houses of the Healing, a lot of the Army of the Dead stuff) that Jackson obviously didn't want to include and thus shortchanged them. The Army of the Dead stuff, in particular, removes much of the suspense that the theatrical cut had. The Mouth of Sauron and added Witch King stuff are welcome, though.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Sun May 13, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:52 pm
Cream of the Crop

Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:34 pm
Profile ICQ
---------

My second favorite movie of all time. All of its scenes are so incredible. The battles are immense. The acting is superb. The only minor fault is its partial slowness, which can be expected from a 3 1/2 hour movie.

Grade: 99.8 , A+

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:19 pm
We had our time together

I'm a big LOTR and loved ROTK. It's not better than Fellowship but still very moving and exciting. The end drags a bit but that's a minor flaw. A/A+

Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:11 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

This its a great movie, i believe this is the best of the Trilogy
the battles where amazing!

A-

Last edited by matatonio on Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:33 am
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

The best in the trilogy IMO. Fantastic in every way. A+

Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

This film made a grown man cry! :cry: :wink: It had some wonderful and upliftingly emotionally draining roller coaster moments! All I can say is bring on the EE and I'll bring on the tissues! lololol :lol:

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

My number 1 film of all time. 10/10 from me :)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:40 am
Indiana Jones IV

This movie will be remembered forever. My top 5 favorite movie!!! A+!!!!!

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

A satisfying conclusion to a trilogy that is greater than its invidual parts.

The film lacks the first one's spirit and vitality, and the second installment's focus and 'epic' feel, but does manage to preserve the integrity and importance of its predecessors.

If it does seem confusing and unfocused at times, that is because most likely it simply is. Having to cover a huge ground, and being forced to carry the burden of the trilogy as a whole, it sometimes stumbles under the weight. The characters are tired, the effects become repetitive, and the ending drags on. That being said, at every turn and in every scene, the film gives the viewer the sense that the journey, for all its ups and downs, was worth taking.

B+

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

A satisfying conclusion to a trilogy that is greater than its invidual parts.

The film lacks the first one's spirit and vitality, and the second installment's focus and 'epic' feel, but does manage to preserve the integrity and importance of its predecessors.

If it does seem confusing and unfocused at times, that is because most likely it simply is. Having to cover a huge ground, and being forced to carry the burden of the trilogy as a whole, it sometimes stumbles under the weight. The characters are tired, the effects become repetitive, and the ending drags on. That being said, at every turn and in every scene, the film gives the viewer the sense that the journey, for all its ups and downs, was worth taking.

B+

I second that. B+

Vastly over-rated, but still an epic movie that is one of the best of recent years.

Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:53 am
Extraordinary

My 2nd favorite LotR film, it really is an amazing movie. I need the Extended Edition DVD.

- A

Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:56 am
I just lost the game

The Extended Edition really doesn't improve much over the theatrical. The Voice of Saruman at the beginning is nice (I can see why it was cut), as was the voice of Sauron (which I can also see why it was cut). There was some more stuff with Faramir and Denthor that was cool, but it was all basically nothing worth noting. The showdown ebtween Gandalf and the Witch King was vastly underwhelming. The House of Healing wasn't done very well, IMO. It definitely isn't as good as the extended cut of The Two Towers. (I haven't seen the FOTR:EE, which I heard is incredible)

As for ROTK itself, I really really really loved it. WAY more than I should. I went totally numb in the last hour of ym first viewing. A+, one of my favs ever. (did NOT deserve all of it's Oscars, though)

Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:35 am
Golfaholic

This movie is too overrated. The first ten-fifteen movies are only there so Serkis can show his real face. If you watch them in the context they make no sense at all and distract you from the experience. Unfortunately Jackson's Thank Yous for the cast don't end there. Every single actor has to get his own goodbye and then he puts what feels like 20 endings at the end of the story. It really hurts the story. The middle part is terrific though with the lighting of the beacons and the epic battle being the standouts. It still is a great movie but doesn't deserve the accolades it got. (B+)
The extended edition is slightly better, because it adds more of the army of the dead, which were underused in the theatrical version. Also the Saruman scenes are a great addition, because they answer question which have been open in the theatrical version. (A-)

Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:22 pm
College Boy Z

A.

Last edited by zingy on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:25 pm
I wasn't blown away by FOTR or TTT and i wasn't by ROTK either (FOTR is my favorite of the 3 though).
I probably liked ROTK as much as TTT (which is B/B- territory). One thing that makes me like all 3 of the movies more now is Lost. I love Charlie on Lost and Dominic Monaghan is great as him so that transfers to LOTR.
One thing that i cannot drop and something that makes me kind of angry, is how all of the main characters live.
This is supposed to be the war to end all wars, and all the main characters live (yes, Theodin dies but he was not one of the remaining 8 Fellowship members, or one of the other characters that were in all 3 movies)

When the battle of Gondor is over we see a sea of dead people punctuated by the main characters standing amongst them. That is so amazingly ridiculous. It isn't that i wanted someone to die, it is that one of the main characters should have died in all of that. They basically all survive without a scratch (aside from Merry). Frodo and Sam also both survive.
The never-ending ending is also a negative. There is nearly a half hour of endings. Some of those could have been saved for the EE. The dropping of Saruman was also a poor decision. He was the big villain of FOTR and TTT and then they just leave him up in the tower and forget about him completely (Sauron is technically the Big Bad, but he is just an eye. Saruman is the tactile villain).

I didn't hate the movie or anything (B/B-) but these things are what makes me give it such a "low" grade.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:54 pm
life begins now

The best of the three. In my Top 20 of all time.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:29 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

When I saw this I never been in a audience so intact with the film! everything that was going on in the movie everyone felt like they were part of it!
This was the end of the greatest trilogy ever made! my number 3 film of all time!
A++

Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A-

long and in some parts boring but knowwhere near as bad as Ep. 1

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Not as bad as The Two Towers, but still way worse than Fellowship of the Ring. This has to be the worst adaptation of a movie from a book, however. Period. No contest. The fact that it won Best Adapted Screenplay shows that the Academy Awards is usually a popularity contest. The award should have gone to Mystic River or City of God, at least those were good. This movie plays like a video game, with the action scenes far outweighing the plot, unlike Star Wars which has a perfect balance of action and story, this one has about 6 hours of batlte sequences, which get boring after the 14th hour. Horrible movie, but it does have a few good moments, so it doesn't get an F or D but a C -.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Teh Mexican

*sigh*

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:07 pm
Indiana Jones IV

....now let the argument begin

*sigh*

What argument?

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next