Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Saving Private Ryan 

What grade would you give this film?
A 86%  86%  [ 25 ]
B 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 29

Saving Private Ryan 
College Boy Z

Post Saving Private Ryan
Saving Private Ryan

Quote:
Saving Private Ryan is a 1998 American war film set during the invasion of Normandy in World War II. It was directed by Steven Spielberg, with the screenplay by Robert Rodat. The film is notable for the intensity of its opening 27 minutes, which depict the Omaha beachhead assault of June 6, 1944. Afterwards, it follows Tom Hanks as Captain John H. Miller and seven men (Tom Sizemore, Edward Burns, Barry Pepper, Vin Diesel, Giovanni Ribisi, Adam Goldberg, and Jeremy Davies), as they search for a paratrooper, Private First Class James Francis Ryan (Matt Damon), who is the last surviving brother of four servicemen.

Rodat first came up with the film's story in 1994 when he saw a monument dedicated to four sons of Agnes Allison of Port Carbon, Pennsylvania. The brothers were killed in the American Civil War. Rodat decided to write a similar story set during World War II. The script was submitted to producer Mark Gordon, who then handed it to Hanks. It was finally given to Spielberg, who decided to direct. The film's premise is very loosely based on the real-life case of the Niland brothers.

Saving Private Ryan was well received by audiences and garnered considerable critical acclaim, winning several awards for film, cast, and crew as well as earning significant returns at the box office. The film grossed US$481.8 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing domestic film of the year. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences nominated the film for eleven Academy Awards; Spielberg's direction won him a second Academy Award for Best Director. Saving Private Ryan was released on home video in May 1999, earning $44 million from sales.

Fantastic. A

Last edited by zingy on Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:52 pm
Sbil

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:54 pm
Veteran

The second best movie in the last 25 years (Schindler's List being the first).

A+

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Except for the first half hour, which was the most heart-pounding portrayal of battle on film, this movie had a very lame, pointless, and meandering story making it the most over-rated war film ever. Speilberg should have released the beach landing sequence as a short film, or waited till he had a real movie to put after it...

2 out of 5.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:33 am
Cream of the Crop

i guess its good enough for a B, but its far from the masterpiece that some think it is.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:33 am
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

Even though it's not a masterpiece, it is still a very very good movie. The Omaha Beach sequence is noit only the best WWII battle sequence ever filmed, it is also one of the best film sequences ever. I couldn't think of a more powerful way to open the move with and to drag the viewer into the story. Unfortunately, the movie lets down in the middle part which tends to drag sometimes. Furthermore, I had problems with the issue depicted in the film (is it worth sacrificing 8 people to save one?), but that aside, it was a technically perfect movie. Amazing cinematography, great colors and contrasts, incredible sound effects. The acting is good all-around, especially by Hanks of course. In the last 30 minutes the film really picks up which in the end makes it a great movie.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:40 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Brilliant film. Realism is the key.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

One of Speilberg's best, truly an amazing movie!!

A-

Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:05 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

amazing battle scenes, but otherwise just good/ok.

A-/B+

Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A+

Let me guess: you absolutely loathe Steven Spielberg? :love:

Truly, I hate this smiley.

Anyways, great film, as everyone else has stated \:D/

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

The Battlescenes are something for a "Best filmed in movie history" book
The rest of the movie was unfortunately average. Spielberg is a great director. But for me he ist still an entertaining man (Jurassic Park, Indy, Jaws etc.......) So im not sure if there wouldnt have been better directors for Ryan or Schindler.

7/10

Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:33 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

The Battlescenes are something for a "Best filmed in movie history" book
The rest of the movie was unfortunately average. Spielberg is a great director. But for me he ist still an entertaining man (Jurassic Park, Indy, Jaws etc.......) So im not sure if there wouldnt have been better directors for Ryan or Schindler.

7/10

=D>

Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:34 pm
Draughty

B+ though an A for the technical aspects of it, a brilliant movie technically.

The parts where Spielberg sticks to history worked pretty well, the first 30 minutes mainly. But then the movie descends into a standard cliched war movie. So many movies in the modern era start out well then lose their way, and this is unfortunately a typical example, complete with the cavalry saving the day at the end.

Also the bookend bits at Normandy detracted from the movie for me. SPR would have been more powerful if it had started abruptly and ended with finality, instead of these sagging badly acted pieces in the modern era -- clearly Spielberg was trying to go for the Schindler type emotion that worked for that movie, rather than let SPR find its own groove.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

jb007 wrote:

A+

Let me guess: you absolutely loathe Steven Spielberg? :love:

Absolutely :wink:

Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I rank Saving Private Ryan as Spielberg's 5th best movie (without including Schindler's List because I need to rewatch that)

Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

Really good movie. Not as good as Schindler's List, but probably his 2nd best movie for me.

A/A+

Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:29 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

One of the top 5 best films ive ever seen.Spielberg shows that he is the master.Its the second best spielberg film.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I liked the movie a lot. The movie is well directed and the battle scenes are great but I don't know, the emotional factor just didn't click for me. :-k I shall rewatch this.

- A-

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:25 am
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

This is a very weird movie for me. One day, I will think it is one of the finest films ever made, and the next day I feel it is a great movie but not a masterpiece, the majority of the time.. Right now, I am in a great movie, non-masterpiece mood.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Post The only movie I hate more is Schindler's List
Horrible war movie. Filled with cliche after cliche (man who wants to go back to his wife, stereotypical Jew/Christian here, stupid kids bitching and complaining), historical inaccuricies (sorry, but George Marshall did NOT send 8 men to go and save a person because his brothers died during the Normandy invasion! This is outright SLANDER and LYING! This is inexcusable! Also, Omaha beach invasion is badly portrayed and it's insulting to the veterans. There are many other historical errors but they don't matter much).

The characters are cardboard cut outs. The Souther Boy/Christian, the Jew, the man who wants to go home to see his wife, the "bad asses" and shit. No character is likable, Reiben is annoying and always bitching, Tom Sizemore thinks he is all that and it's pretty annoying, Jackson is always praying at pointless scenes (is he saying killing a German soldier who possibly knows nothing about the holocaust God's will?), Uphham is too much of a wimp and that's about all we know, annoying as well. Mellish always has a bad attitude and it gets annoying after he bitches for about 45 minutes nonstop. Don't even get me started on Miller, Caprazo or Ryan. These idiots are so incredibly stupid it's a wonder how they live. Miller shows extremely poor leadership skills, for example; how did Miller know that there were only around 5 German's in the nest and not 50? Why did he do a full frontal assault? What's his problem? Moron. Caprazo also deserved to die, he was going out in the open were a sniper was just to help a kid? Moron. Ryan was a whiney bitch, "What about my men? Wah wah wah!" with a stupid mission; why protect a bridge if you want to blow it up? Stupid. Stupid cardboard characters and this movie has little character development.

The story is even worse. The first 5 minutes has an old man wobbling like a duck and crying and choking, so then we look at him and a flashback comes. It is D-Day. Despite the fact this has nothing to do with the rest of the movie Spielberg shows it anyways just to show violence for the sake of violence (and to "shock" people into liking this movie because it IS a shitty movie!). So we think the Tom Hanks character was that old man, but later we are proved wrong. This is bad story telling! After a nice 30 minutes of blood and gore, it is followed with 6 hours of army men whining, bitching and complaining. There is no real plot here; in fact, the movie could have been done in 1.5 hours. But instead Spielberg decides to shove us with 3 hours of a stupid, pointless story.

The redeeming factor of this movie is the amazing special effects; but special effects don't save a movie. All the Star Wars movies may have tons of special effects but at least they have a story. Saving Private Ryan has no story and although the fights are gorey and action packed, there is no reason for them. The D-Day part shouldn't exist because it has nothing to do with the story, and the battle at the bridge was so stupid I won't even talk about it again, thus, there should really be no action in the movie but Spielberg put it in there just so he can "shock" people into liking this. He loves manipulating the audience so instead of putting a story, he uses other methods. Examples: E.T. has many "cute" things in it, thus the audience thinks it's "cute," Schindler's List has tons of Jews dying so the audience will feel moved, Jurassic Park has amazing special effects, thus people will be awed and they like it. And so on. So instead of putting an intelligent plot and story and characters, Spielberg SHOCKS us with the gore in this movie so we like it. And people fell for this shit.

F ---

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
I'm Batman

I don't want Star Wars' review to be the last one. This movie is great, emotionally moving, sometimes tough to sit through. Spielberg is well Spielberg. Great as always. The opening battle scene is one of the best (and most graphic) in the history of cinema.

A+

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I don't want Star Wars' review to be the last one.

why not?

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
I'm Batman

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:53 pm
Where will you be?

An incredibly intesne expierience, and one of the fastest 169 minutes I've ever had in the theater. Everyone's said all there is to say about how well done it is, but I will say I loved seeing so many people before they were famous. Vin Diesel, Paul Giamatti, Nathan Fillian (Mal baby!), and to a lesser extent Giovanni Ribisi were all no names before this movie and have moved on to much more.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next