Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Ivanovo detstvo [Ivan's Childhood] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Ivanovo detstvo [Ivan's Childhood] 

Post Ivanovo detstvo [Ivan's Childhood]
Ivan's Childhood

Quote:
Ivan's Childhood (Russian: Ива́ново де́тство, Ivanovo detstvo), sometimes released as My Name Is Ivan in the US, is a 1962 Soviet film directed by Andrei Tarkovsky. The film was originally directed by Edward Gaikovich Abalyan. It is based on the 1957 short story Ivan (Russian: Иван) by Vladimir Bogomolov, with the screenplay written by Mikhail Papava and an uncredited Andrei Tarkovsky. The film features child actor Nikolai Burlyayev, Valentin Zubkov, Yevgeni Zharikov, Stepan Krylov, Nikolai Grinko and Tarkovsky's wife Irma Raush.

The film tells the story of orphan boy Ivan and his experiences during World War II. Ivan's Childhood was one of several Soviet films of the late 1950s, such as The Cranes Are Flying and Ballad of a Soldier, that looked at the human cost of war and did not glorify the war experience as did films produced before the Khrushchev Thaw.

Ivan's Childhood was Tarkovsky's first feature film. It won him critical acclaim and made him internationally known. It won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival in 1962 and the Golden Gate Award at the San Francisco International Film Festival in 1962. Famous filmmakers such as Ingmar Bergman, Sergei Parajanov and Krzysztof Kieślowski praised the film and cited it as an influence on their work.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:28 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Ivanovo detstvo [Ivan's Childhood]
For my first taste of Tarkovsky, I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting something much more bitter, but this actually came off as rather sweet. In other words, it was a lot easier to comprehend than I thought it would be. There's an interesting dynamic that develops by positioning the lead character as a twelve-year-old adult, of sorts, and it's contrasted well with the rather childish soldiers that compose the supporting cast. It's also very expressionist, and that helped to convey what the dialogue or characters couldn't. And the ending is brutal, ruthless and totally fitting. A bit rough around the edges, but an impressive start for one of the directors I want to see more of.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]