Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 The Beach 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

The Beach 
College Boy Z

Post The Beach
The Beach

Quote:
The Beach is a 2000 adventure drama film directed by Danny Boyle and based on the 1996 novel of the same name by Alex Garland, which was adapted for the film by John Hodge. The film stars Leonardo DiCaprio and features Tilda Swinton, Robert Carlyle, Virginie Ledoyen and Guillaume Canet. It was filmed on the Thai island Koh Phi Phi.

The Beach is a very stupid movie. The performances suck. The plot is horrible. You have gotta be high (like the people in the movie) to really watch this movie and like it. :wink: But seriously, it's not good at all. What seemed interesting from the previews turned out to be a more current, "island"-type version of The Village, only 10x worse. Two hours I'll definently never get back.

D+

Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:00 pm
You must have big rats

Post Re: The Beach
Zingaling wrote:
The Beach is a very stupid movie. The performances suck. The plot is horrible. You have gotta be high (like the people in the movie) to really watch this movie and like it. :wink: But seriously, it's not good at all. What seemed interesting from the previews turned out to be a more current, "island"-type version of The Village, only 10x worse. Two hours I'll definently never get back.

D+

Another proof that your movie taste and mine are similar. I was hoping for you to dislike it when I saw that you rented it. Man, I hated this film.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

What makes me upset the most is what people would think of the novel the movie is based on after having seen the film without reading the book. I read parts of the ook after having seen the film, just to see if it's just as bad and I was very surprised. The book is actualy very good. The movie is artrocious, though. Acting is very bad, all-around. I have never liked DiCaprio, but in that movie he definitely gives his worst performance so far. It seems to me as if the filmmkaers only wanted to show off the nice locations without giving the movie any substance. If you want to see a film somewhat similar to this one, story-wise, just miles better, then rent Lord of the Flies. I'd easily call this pretentious piece of crap the worst movie of its year...but unfortunately Battlefield Earth was released in the same year and believe it or not, turned out to be even worse than that! The Beach is a complete bore that basically rapes the novel it is based on without giving the viewer anything worth seeing. It should put the otherwise talented director Danny Boyle to shame. It is not only one of the worst movies of 2000, but also one of the 5 worst films I have ever seen.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

yeah, it definitely wasnt good, the plot was interesting........uuummmm yeah thats about it!....

C

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:26 pm
Where will you be?

Oh man, me and my friends burst out laughing in the theater when DiCaprio hissed at the chick. :lol:

But yeah, it was a wildly uneven movie, though it had some beautiful cinematography and some good moral dilemmas. C-

Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:14 pm
You must have big rats

Oh man, me and my friends burst out laughing in the theater when DiCaprio hissed at the chick. :lol:

But yeah, it was a wildly uneven movie, though it had some beautiful cinematography and some good moral dilemmas. C-

The book offers some really good moral dilemmas, the movie however...bleh. Also the last act of the film is different than it is in the book from what I have read partially.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

F

What makes me upset the ost is what people would think of the novel the movie is based on after having seen the film without reading the book. I read parts of the ook after having seen the film, just to see if it's just as bad and I was very surprised. The book is actualy very good. The movie is artrocious, though. Acting is very bad, all-around. I have never liked DiCaprio, but in that movie he definitely gives his worst performance so far. It seems to me as if the filmmkaers only wanted to show off the nice locations without giving the movie any substance. If you want to see a film somewhat similar to this one, story-wise, just miles better, then rent Lord of the Flies. I'd easily call this pretentious piece of crap the worst movie of its year...but unfortunately Battlefield Earth was released in the same year and believe it or not, turned out to be even worse than that! The Beach is a complete bore that basically rapes the novel it is based on without giving the viewer anything worth seeing. It should put the otherwise talented director Danny Boyle to shame. It is not only one of the worst movies of 2000, but also one of the 5 worst films I have ever seen.

Whoa. I mean, I hated it, but damn! Top 5 of all time?! :lol:

It's definently one of the worst movies I've seen, but not really the worst. May I suggest you watch...

Pootie Tang
Adventures of Pluto Nash
The Cat in the Hat
Cold Creek Manor

...and then rethink your top 5?! :razz:

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:26 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
F

What makes me upset the ost is what people would think of the novel the movie is based on after having seen the film without reading the book. I read parts of the ook after having seen the film, just to see if it's just as bad and I was very surprised. The book is actualy very good. The movie is artrocious, though. Acting is very bad, all-around. I have never liked DiCaprio, but in that movie he definitely gives his worst performance so far. It seems to me as if the filmmkaers only wanted to show off the nice locations without giving the movie any substance. If you want to see a film somewhat similar to this one, story-wise, just miles better, then rent Lord of the Flies. I'd easily call this pretentious piece of crap the worst movie of its year...but unfortunately Battlefield Earth was released in the same year and believe it or not, turned out to be even worse than that! The Beach is a complete bore that basically rapes the novel it is based on without giving the viewer anything worth seeing. It should put the otherwise talented director Danny Boyle to shame. It is not only one of the worst movies of 2000, but also one of the 5 worst films I have ever seen.

Whoa. I mean, I hated it, but damn! Top 5 of all time?! :lol:

It's definently one of the worst movies I've seen, but not really the worst. May I suggest you watch...

Pootie Tang
Adventures of Pluto Nash
The Cat in the Hat
Cold Creek Manor

...and then rethink your top 5?! :razz:

I own two of them, haven't seen either. Cold Creek Manor was given to me as a present recently :lol:

The Beach is actually one of the three worst films I have ever seen. Others being Battlefield Earth and Mission to Mars (that without considering some cheap DTV C-movies)

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

For me, the difference between The Beach and Battlefield Earth/Mission to Mars is that I didn't expect a whole lot from The Beach, and I still got crapola. Battlefield Earth was my most anticipated movie of that year, and it was a total let down. Mission to Mars sucked as well, but not one of my all time worst.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:46 pm
You must have big rats

Well, by the time Battlefield Earth arrived in Germany, I already know that it was proclaimed the worst movie of the century in the States so I didn't expect much. However, I had pretty high hopes for Mission to Mars. The trailer was good, I liked the director, the cast and the idea behind the film... *sigh*

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Well, by the time Battlefield Earth arrived in Germany, I already know that it was proclaimed the worst movie of the century in the States so I didn't expect much. However, I had pretty high hopes for Mission to Mars. The trailer was good, I liked the director, the cast and the idea behind the film... *sigh*

I was one of the opening night losers who saw Battlefield Earth. :cry:

I wanted to see The Beach soooo bad when it was in theaters, by at the time, my parents were more strict on me with the R rated movies. After 5 years, I was thankful of my parents decision, for once. :wink:

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:02 pm
Sbil

I found The Beach stylish but pretentious and unintentionally hillarious. Haven't seen it in five years or so, but going from memory, I'd give it a D.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:24 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Nice scenery but not much else is present in this lame wannabe thriller.

Fri May 06, 2005 7:54 pm
Profile YIM
All Star Poster

The Most boring DiCaprio Film I've ever seen

C

Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:17 am
We had our time together

Well.. I really really liked it. DiCaprio is great as always. A

Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:21 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I never heard of this or any desire to see it when it came out. It looked like the last we'd ever see of DiCaprio (Thankfully his Teen Phase was all we never saw again)

I remember TV spots making it look like some sort of horror or slasher movie, and I knew it didnt do good or make money but I was bored and saw it on HBO recently, WOW. This a movie where really nothing happens, its TV spots I remembered didn't show it like this at all. It was really stupid overall. Glad Dicaprio was able to recover though.

D

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:10 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I like it, except for the video game sequence. - 7/10.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Recently watched it again and my grade goes down a notch to A-, but I still don't get the hate.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]