Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Fool's Gold 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Fool's Gold 

Post Fool's Gold
Fool's Gold

Quote:
Fool's Gold is an 2008 American adventure/romance film from Warner Bros. Pictures about a married couple who rekindle their romantic life while searching for a lost treasure. The film was directed by Andy Tennant and reunites the How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days stars Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson. The MPAA rated the film PG-13 for action violence, some sexual material, brief nudity, and language.

Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: Fool's Gold
Even at almost 20 minutes shorter than the work print I saw last year this film still sucked ass. Zero chemistry between Hudson and McConadoushe, zero humor, zero adventure, zero plausability. So that means it should make $15-20 million this weekend. Like McConadoushe who doesn't wear deodorant this film stinks.

Grade F+

The plus is for Hudson. Her acting was terrible but she still looked good doing it.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:45 pm
Sbil

Moderately entertaining but entirely unmemorable. The first half of the film is rather poor; the majority of the comedy falls flat and neither of the two lead characters project any sort of appeal. When the actual "treasure hunting" aspect begins, the film actually becomes fun to watch. Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson show some hints of chemistry, but they're not nearly as appealing together here as they were in the far superior How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Both actors look as attractive as usual (possibly even more so here), but they both appear to be going through the motions and are a little flat. Donald Sutherland brings a touch of class to the proceedings despite a horrible accent, while Alexis Dziena is delightfully ditzy. Fool's Gold also has some of the most breathtaking scenery in recent memory. This is the very definition of disposable entertainment. C+

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:47 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I actually enjoyed this. It was flawed but quite entertaining, mainly thanks to the appeal of the actors involved. Certainly not as good as How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, but not nearly as bad as the critics are making it out to be. It has a rough beginning but definitely picks up as it goes along. Kate Hudson is incredibly charming and charismatic and Matthew McConaughey does a decent job as well (despite the fact that his character is kind of annoying). Alexis Dziena steals most of her scenes and is fun to watch onscreen. The direction was nothing special, but the scenery was beautiful to look at. Anyways, worth seeing. B

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:48 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

thompsoncory wrote:
I actually enjoyed this. It was flawed but quite entertaining, mainly thanks to the appeal of the actors involved. Certainly not as good as How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, but not nearly as bad as the critics are making it out to be. It has a rough beginning but definitely picks up as it goes along. Kate Hudson is incredibly charming and charismatic and Matthew McConaughey does a decent job as well (despite the fact that his character is kind of annoying). Alexis Dziena steals most of her scenes and is fun to watch onscreen. The direction was nothing special, but the scenery was beautiful to look at. Anyways, worth seeing. B

Incredibly charming and charismatic? Really? She looked tired the whole movie to me.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:57 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

the movie was filmed in Australia, btw.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:19 pm
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:
Kate Hudson is incredibly charming and charismatic and Matthew McConaughey does a decent job as well (despite the fact that his character is kind of annoying). Alexis Dziena steals most of her scenes and is fun to watch onscreen....B

Incredibly charming and charismatic? Really? She looked tired the whole movie to me.

I'm afraid I've got to agree with both of you on this one.

Kate did indeed look incredibly charming, charismatic, and tired in this movie.

C'mon! The woman was actually going thru a divorce while filming this movie in which her character is a woman going thru a divorce. Is that even acting?!? Who freakin' cares? 'Cause Kate Hudson is so cute and in command that of course any idiot'd fall fer her...

As for the movie, I liked it's old school storytelling - - it reminded me of a 70's style B-movie - - right down to the casting of Donald Sutherland. This weren't no brain surgery, but t'were a pretty darn good movin' picture thingy! I guess I'm a sucker for hidden treasure tales (from my schoolin' in Blackbeard's Ghost, back in the Disney era that started Kate's step-daddy's career), especially when they got an improbable romance thrown in the mix. I felt the googolplex melt away tonight, and was sittin' in a gawd's honest truth suburban drive-in theatre of the distant past. Hallelujah!

Don't let the car horns distract ya - - pay attention to the celluloid and receive thine golden reward!!!

4 out of 5.

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:46 am
Superman: The Movie

I kind of liked it, but it takes way too long to get things going. For a 110 minute movie, there are about 60-70 minutes of setup. We're introduced to the main characters, we get the divorce, we're introduced to Bunny, we get Sutherland and Dziena, we get the plan to go on the hunt, then on the hunt we meet several more characters and when all is said and done, an hour and ten minutes or so have flown by before the movie can have any fun. And yet McConaughey, Hudson, Sutherland and Dziena keep things going enough so that we're not completely bored out of our minds and the action scenes towards the end are kind of fun, so......

**½

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Seems like I'm the only one who really enjoyed the first hour. This is easily one of the biggest surprises of the last few months for me. I thought I would hate it but I just had way too much fun. B+

Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:04 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Good ol' fun from Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson. That is just about it though.

B

Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Eh, it was OK. 6/10 (B-/C+)

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:20 am
On autopilot for the summer

Really? Anthony Andersons stupid sidekick from Scary Movie 3 and 4 as the villain. Its a movie that goes completely through the motions like its a weekly serial, only derive of humor or characters you care about.

C-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:14 pm
now we know

This was a very comfortable and adventurous treasure hunt. It reminded me very much of Into the Blue with some Bird on a Wire/Romancing the Stone camaraderie, some Thunder in Paradise exoticness, and some After the Sunset danger. Yeah, so what I'm trying to say is that nothing is original in Fool's Gold, but I'm not sure that even matters. I liked it. The laidback atmosphere and Matthew McConaughey go very well together, and who doesn't like a treasure hunt! Some of the comedy is silly, and there is a strange virus plaguing the cast where they adopt another accent for some reason, but it is just very nice to see Kate Hudson and McConaughey together again. And, while no outright A-listers, it does boast an impressive supporting cast; Kevin Hart, Donald Sutherland, Ewan Bremner, and Ray Winstone (the last three were struck down with the aforementioned accent-changing virus). Anyway, it's fun, and bright, and beautiful. I recommend.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I didn't know my look-a-like (Ewan Bremner) was in this.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:05 am
now we know

He's been cropping up everywhere for me recently. He's also (unbeknownst to me) in Judge Dredd. In my defence, he is heavily made up.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]