Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Forbidden Planet 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Forbidden Planet 

Post Forbidden Planet
Forbidden Planet

Quote:
Forbidden Planet is a 1956 science fiction film directed by Fred M. Wilcox, with a screenplay by Cyril Hume. It starred Leslie Nielsen, Walter Pidgeon, and Anne Francis. The characters and its setting have been compared to those in William Shakespeare's The Tempest, and its plot contains certain story analogs. Forbidden Planet was the first science fiction film that was set entirely in deep space, away from the planet Earth. It is considered one of the great science fiction films of the 1950s, a precursor of what was to come for the science fiction film genre in the decades that followed.

Forbidden Planet features special effects for which A. Arnold Gillespie, Irving G. Ries, and Wesley C. Miller were nominated for an Academy Award. It was the only major award nomination the film received. Forbidden Planet features the groundbreaking use of an all-electronic music musical score. It also featured "Robby the Robot", one of the first film robots that was more than just a mechanical "tin can" on legs; Robby displays a distinct personality and is a complete supporting character in the film.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:22 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Post Re: Forbidden Planet
9/10 -> A-

I saw this again last month... Just as good as I remember.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

There's some sort of bizarre psychological message underneath all the Hollywood shine and glamour. The story is typical 50s sci-fi - with a dash of Shakespeare thrown in - the sets and effects are as cheesy as it gets, and there's a terrific electronic score, but they're all working together to mask the Freudian implications of the film. The way that sexuality and technology are dealt with, in a conservative-yet-liberal fashion, tied to the character relationships and the "monster of the id", is brilliant. It's not a masterpiece, but it's not trash, either.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:56 pm
Cream of the Crop

Amazing how much Roddenberry used this film as a template for his Star Trek TV series.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]