Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Alone in the Dark (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
F 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 13

Alone in the Dark (2005) 
College Boy Z

Post Alone in the Dark (2005)
Alone in the Dark

Quote:
Alone in the Dark is a 2005 horror film, loosely based on Infogrames' popular video game series of the same name. It is directed by Uwe Boll, and stars Christian Slater as supernatural detective Edward Carnby. The film was universally panned by critics and is considered one of the worst video game adaptations of all time. The film's tagline is Evil Awakens.

Last edited by zingy on Tue May 10, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:26 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Greatest movie ever. My finest collection

Last edited by El Maskado on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:28 pm
now we know

An "F" :shock: does it really deserve an eff?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I know theres alot of hate for Uwe Boll and in my review I try my best to remain objective since in fact I actually feel sorry for the guy because of all the criticism he got. By the way, when I saw the movie there were only 10 people inside the movie theater. I tried my best to remain objective but I cant help but to give this movie a really really poor grade. Forget that it was even directed by Uwe Boll, the movie was just bad in every level. Its almost as though Im watching someone else play a video game and not myself getting involved in it. Basically the premise is that Christian Slater witnessed things that bump in the night but there was no explanation at all why the supernatural things come to be. I especially hated when Stephen Dorff kept referring to something that happened in the past to Christian Slater which I have no idea whats going on because the director expected us to know the story behind Alone in the Dark before hand. Tara Reid's role as a scientist is as convincing as a stripper playing the role of a cop. I really tried my best to find something redeeming about the movie but I was both bored out of my mind with it. The CGI monsters were bad and there barely was anything gory about the movie that could of saved it. Im sorry man but Im giving the movie an F. Its even worse than Starship Troppers 2

Ouch...

Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:19 pm
Profile WWW

Last edited by El Maskado on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:34 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Ouch...

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Why did I see this over Hide And Seek?

You know, this wa the first question that came to my head when I saw your review of the film? I mean, it stands at 1.6/10 at RT, I believe that's even worse than Baby Geniuses. There is only one semi-positive review I found on it which says that the film is comparable to AvP:

http://www.eclipsemagazine.com/modules/ ... oryid=1280

Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:37 pm
Profile WWW

Last edited by El Maskado on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:09 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
El_masked_esteROIDe_user wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Ouch...

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Why did I see this over Hide And Seek?

You know, this wa the first question that came to my head when I saw your review of the film? I mean, it stands at 1.6/10 at RT, I believe that's even worse than Baby Geniuses. There is only one semi-positive review I found on it which says that the film is comparable to AvP:

http://www.eclipsemagazine.com/modules/ ... oryid=1280

You know I wont be surprised if this movie ends up as the bottom #1 of lowest scored movies on IMDB surpassing Manos Hand of Fate for at least the next 7 months till some other movie regains its place

Hopefully, Daniel - Der Zauberer can somehow regain the #1 spot on that list. At the moment, Alone in the Dark has a 2.6/10 average at IMDB.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Ouch. Well, I guess I expected an F, but still. I've been thinking about it, and I usually never listen to others or reviews and just go because I want to, but for some reason, I just don't want to anymore. :razz: The bad buzz is absolutely amazing, and I can't help but think that this movie is definently not something I'm going to like. I'm an easy grader, but I doubt I'd give this anything higher than a C. I won't go see it in theaters, most likely. I'll either download it or wait until DVD. Thanks for the review, roid. :wink:

And yes, you made a huge mistake by seeing this over Hide and Seek. [-X

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:23 pm
Sbil

Although I try to keep an open mind, Alone in the Dark is one of those movies that I would not see if I was held at gunpoint.

It looks absolutely atrocious, and it sort of boggles my mind someone would willingly plunk down $9 for this. To each his own, I guess.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:48 pm

Last edited by El Maskado on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:12 am
Sbil

Libs wrote:
Although I try to keep an open mind, Alone in the Dark is one of those movies that I would not see if I was held at gunpoint.

It looks absolutely atrocious, and it sort of boggles my mind someone would willingly plunk down $9 for this. To each his own, I guess.

hah it cost me only 6 dollars so there \:D/ . Also didnt you pay to see Are We There Yet?
Although the aftermath of the movie is the equivalent of smelling rotten eggs

Come to think of it people, I should of lied and said the movie wasnt bad at all so some of you would of watched that crap. It would of been one hell of a practical joke.

Ah, the difference is I was treating my niece to a movie. I wasn't actually seeing Are We There Yet? by "choice."

Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:44 am
You must have big rats

El_masked_esteROIDe_user wrote:
Libs wrote:

hah it cost me only 6 dollars so there \:D/ . Also didnt you pay to see Are We There Yet?
Although the aftermath of the movie is the equivalent of smelling rotten eggs

Come to think of it people, I should of lied and said the movie wasnt bad at all so some of you would of watched that crap. It would of been one hell of a practical joke.

Ah, the difference is I was treating my niece to a movie. I wasn't actually seeing Are We There Yet? by "choice."

Oh yeah, that "niece" excuse.

;)

Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:53 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Aw jeez... is it at least fun in that so bad it's good way, or in just stupid dumb action? Because I think I'm gonna end up seeing this tonight....

Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:44 pm

Aw jeez... is it at least fun in that so bad it's good way, or in just stupid dumb action? Because I think I'm gonna end up seeing this tonight....

I will guarantee you will love my movie man!

Last edited by El Maskado on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:01 pm
Where will you be?

No humor? I was laughing my ass off! This movie is a RIOT. Right from the opening scene I could tell this would be hillarious (a kid on an airplane that if he's having a nightmare his mommy says not to be scared of the dark, to which Christian Slater replies, "Your mom is wrong kid. Being afraid of the dark is what keeps most of us alive." And it only gets better from there. Everything about this movie makes me feel like Uwe Boll is the new Ed Wood, be it Tara Reid and Christian Slater badly dryhumping or someone remarking "We shoudn't be here." after seeing a room made out of human skulls. Absolutely nothing in this movie makes a lick of sense (why do these monsters want to kill everyone? Where did they come from? How would taking over the world help that old guy that makes Willie Nelson "mix man with creature" (direct quote)? Why would he WANT to create human monster things? The list of unanswered questions goes on and on, up until the ending where it becomes clear that Uwe Boll thought he could make the sequel into Resident Evil: Apocylpse, which looks like The Shawshank Redemption compared to Alone in the Dark, by having Slater and Reid walking around in an empty city (though aerial shots clearly show pedestrians walking around). As a movie, it was absolutely ghastly. But lemme tell you, I haven't laughed this hard or had this much stupid fun during a movie in quite some time. Shit, I'd say I definitely enjoyed it more then Hide and Seek. F

Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:00 am

My whole point is that the movie doesnt take itself seriously.ACTION ACTION ACTION!

Last edited by El Maskado on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:28 am
Where will you be?

Kind of a contradiction if you said it was so bad that you enjoyed it? :wink:
What I dont like is Uwe Boll expects us to know about the background story by playing the video game before we watch the movie. It really DOES seem like you are watching someone else play a game composing of only cut scenes

It's not a contradiction at all. :razz: You can enjoy a movie and it can still be bad, especially in this case when you're laughing at it's ineptitude.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:06 am

Do you think we should give Mr. Boll another chance and see Bloodrayne?

Last edited by El Maskado on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:21 pm
Where will you be?

So.....MovieDude

Do you think we should give Mr. Boll another chance with BloodRayne? I feel sorry for him for all the trashing he gets on the net

No.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:29 pm
College Boy Z

Anyways, there is like a 5% chance I'm seeing this over the weekend. Sadly, my friends and I might not have a choice considering that I already saw Hide and Seek, and if Boogeyman is sold out (because they are non-online ticket buyers), we will have to watch Alone in the Dark. Although, I recommened to just get them both done in the same night if possible, because there's this little part of me that wants to see how bad this movie really is. If a bunch of horror buffs say this is F quality and is a laugh-out-loud comedy, I MUST GO! :wink:

It's sad, I know. We'll see what happens. Boogeyman is my main priority this weekend. I WILL see that first.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:33 pm
Where will you be?

Roid, you feel sorry for him?! :razz:

Anyways, there is like a 5% chance I'm seeing this over the weekend. Sadly, my friends and I might not have a choice considering that I already saw Hide and Seek, and if Boogeyman is sold out (because they are non-online ticket buyers), we will have to watch Alone in the Dark. Although, I recommened to just get them both done in the same night if possible, because there's this little part of me that wants to see how bad this movie really is. If a bunch of horror buffs say this is F quality and is a laugh-out-loud comedy, I MUST GO! :wink:

It's sad, I know. We'll see what happens. Boogeyman is my main priority this weekend. I WILL see that first.

I think you'd enjoy it in a demented way Zing.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:47 pm
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:
Roid, you feel sorry for him?! :razz:

I think you'd enjoy it in a demented way Zing.

In a demented way, eh? Hmm.. :twisted:

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:53 pm
New Server, Same X

Ah, the "truly bad but fun to watch" films have quite the list for me: Scary Movie 2 was a terrible sequel, but somehow I can still find reason to watch this film on DVD occasionally. Even if I have only seen it once, Sleepaway Camp prominently sits on this list, as well. The Brady Bunch movies also come to mind.

Alone in the Dark actually failed at failing.

Not one single moment where you could laugh at the idiocy of the scene. Sometimes, you can tell when the actors at least know that they're in a horrible film, but I can tell Slater and Reid think this is what will save their careers. I still haven't got the first clue what the hell the point of the entire movie is. One terrible scene after another (each becoming worse than the last) culminates into a truly overused "shock" ending, where Slater and Reid are walking around an apparently empty city, and we're to believe one of the monsters comes up behind them. If that's the case, I hope they're dead. Why? No, it's not so a sequel will never be considered. It's because I hated them both so much. I'm a fan of Mr. Slater, but even he walks past the realm of "good actor, shitty movie" into a full-on shitfest.

Uwe Boll is certainly not the biggest at fault, either. The "writers" are obvious fans of the game (whereas I never heard of the damn game, let alone played it) because they must think that the truly hardcore fans of the game (raise your hand, anyone?) will know everything there is to know about this movie. The dialogue borders on being illegal (because there is no way that anything this BAD could be allowed). Even the usually uneven and unnecessary sex scene is more uneven and more unnecessary than your average movie. The two worst scenes come in the first ten minutes: Slater's bad boy-ish tactics of scaring an overly dumb kid on a plane is embarassing to watch, it's that bad. And the other scene is where Slater is in a taxi, telling the driver about all this shit, then he so non-chalantly tells the driver to lose the car behind them, because they've been following them the whole time. No raised voice, no panic, just a warning like it was meant to happen.

You have to see Catwoman to experience the full effects of a bad movie. That said, I would not wish this atrocity on any of my enemies. Ever. Save 90 minutes of your life, and go see a "great" movie like Are We There Yet?, or perhaps Napolean Dynamite. Heck, just go ahead and rent Superbabies on DVD. I guarantee you'll have more fun watching those movies non-stop for an entire week, than seeing this shit movie for an hour and a half.

Grade: F

Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:15 pm
College Boy Z

That's an all time worst. =D>

Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next