Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

College Boy Z

Post Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Quote:
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is a 2004 American pulp adventure science-fiction film written and directed by Kerry Conran in his directorial debut. The film is set in an alternative 1939 and follows the adventures of Polly Perkins (Gwyneth Paltrow), a newspaper reporter, and Harry Joseph "Joe" Sullivan (Jude Law), alias "Sky Captain," as they track down the mysterious Dr. Totenkopf (Laurence Olivier), who is seeking to build the "World of Tomorrow".

Conran spent four years making a black and white teaser trailer with a bluescreen set up in his living room and using a Macintosh IIci personal computer. He was able to show it to producer Jon Avnet, who was so impressed that he spent two years working with the aspiring filmmaker on his screenplay. No major studio was interested in financing such an unusual film with a first-time director. Avnet convinced Aurelio De Laurentiis to finance Sky Captain without a distribution deal.

Almost 100 digital artists, modelers, animators and compositors created the multi-layered 2D and 3D backgrounds for the live-action footage while the entire movie was sketched out via hand-drawn storyboards and then re-created as computer-generated 3D animatics. Ten months before Conran made the movie with his cast, he shot it entirely with stand-ins in Los Angeles and then created it in animatics so the actors had an idea of what the film would look like. Sky Captain is notable as one of the first major films (along with Sin City (2005), Casshern (2004), and Immortal (2004) to be shot entirely on a "digital backlot", blending live actors with computer generated surroundings.

Sky Captain grossed $37.7 million in North America and $20.1 million in the rest of the world, totalling $57.9 million, below its estimated $70 million budget. Since the overhead of theater, marketing, and other costs raises the break-even point of a film to roughly double its production cost, it likely lost about $80,000,000 prior to TV and DVD revenues.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:16 pm
Extraordinary

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow ventures into new territory for contemporary comic adaptations, but for what reason is still unclear. From the broadcast animated circles to oral countdowns, Captain is so indebted to its source material, that it never quite takes flight on its own. Clearly, Captain is a devotional piece of homage to 30s and 40s radio plays and desperately tries to recapture the technological transition from radio to big screen. That director Kerry Conran fails to exceed Sky Captain's predecessors makes me wonder why this film was done in 2004...

Sky Captain's setting and references are very misleading, and Conran's attempt to contextually locate the film in its own history is ultimately the weakest part of the film. Set 30 years after WWI, and at the dawn of the war that would surpass it in historic atrocity, references to German science exploration and paranoia serve as a potential springboard for a truly horrific "bad guy." But alas, when genetic manipulation of elephants and jars with fetuses lead only to a typical doomsday, and not the suggested creation of a supreme race of man, the attempt felt botched. Conran's stroll through a museum of natural history is well recreated, but not particularly expounded upon as a vehicle for advancing a truly horrific antagonist's vision.

Why this film does not completely fail for me is my own lack of experience with its sources...

B-

For full review: http://www.worldofkj.com/Dolcevita-SkyCap.php

-Dolce

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:12 am
King Albert!

Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow is one of the most innovated movies in terms of style. The CGI backgrounds in moody dark tones really give it that 30's comic book look (that is a plus). Everything about the look of this movie is beautiful. The cinematography and visual effects are all so Oscar worthy, that I'll go crazy if this doesn't get nominated in the technical catagories. Though every knows that one obvious flaw, the storytelling. Okay, so the story was not that bad, but some of the scenes did move kinda iffy, and Jolie's performance wasn't the best. But this, be prepared to feast your eyes and enjoy the beautiful colors and style of Sky Captian and the World of Tomorrow.

***1/2 (out of ****).

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:43 am
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Sky Captain is a beatiful film. I was very impressed with the film, but felt that the characters were too flat... either due to bad writing, or the diffuculty to act on the blue screens. Either way, the film was still great, and I will be buying a SE DVD.

A-

Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Very entertaining. The visuals are fantastic.

- B+

Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:49 pm
now we know

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:15 am
Profile WWW
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Amazing movie. The visuals are absolutely breathtaking, and the story is classic. Jude is great as the title hero, and Gwyneth was very charming in her role. Angie, of course, is sensational. She really gives the film a boost in her small but key role. And watching the making-of shows how much work went into the film, and how it was such a labor of love for everyone involved. One of my favorite movies of 2004, and for that matter, ever.

A+

Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Another movie most love, but I really didn't like. Oh well, we all have our different tastes.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:47 pm
College Boy Z

Another movie most love, but I really didn't like. Oh well, we all have our different tastes.

I didn't like it either, but I knew I wouldn't.

C-

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:23 pm
New Server, Same X

Mr. X wrote:

I didn't like it either, but I knew I wouldn't.

C-

It amazes me how similar our taste in movies is.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:41 pm
We had our time together

I downloaded this months ago but still have to see it.

Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:38 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I downloaded this months ago but still have to see it.

Riggs... Ix-nay on the ownloading-day.

Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:41 am
Teh Mexican

very entertaining movie!, the beginning was kinda boring, but after that all was great!
the Visuals are great, Dark, i like it!

is like going on a Disneyland ride because of the music!, and some part remind me of Batman :???:

why do they announce Angelina on the Cover (i was disappointed she wasnt in much of the movie! :sad: ) that was more of a cameo!

B-

Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:10 pm
Forum General

Very underrated! I saw this at a special screening a couple of days before it was released in theaters, and I thought I'd hate it. The only reason I saw it was because I had free passes, wow, I was very impressed. I was so into the story. It's unfortunante that not many people like it.

9/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Angels & Demons

very entertaining movie!, the beginning was kinda boring, but after that all was great!
the Visuals are great, Dark, i like it!

is like going on a Disneyland ride because of the music!, and some part remind me of Batman :???:

why do they announce Angelina on the Cover (i was disappointed she wasnt in much of the movie! :sad: ) that was more of a cameo!

B-

Simply put they wanted as many name actors they could get to promote this film, and Angie is one of them. I was hoping for an uncut version on DVD, to see if her role was any bigger but it seems that's it, what you see is what you get.

Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:44 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
College Boy Z

Very underrated! I saw this at a special screening a couple of days before it was released in theaters, and I thought I'd hate it. The only reason I saw it was because I had free passes, wow, I was very impressed. I was so into the story. It's unfortunante that not many people like it.

9/10 (A-)

Underrated?! More like.. Overrated.

Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:47 pm
Hot Fuss

movies35 wrote:

9/10 (A-)

Hmm, nope. I would say something like AvP is overrated. And you know it. :razz:

Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:
movies35 wrote:

9/10 (A-)

Alien vs. Predator is a love/hate kind of movie. There's definently people that love it, and people that hate it.

Sky Captain is something that most people love, while a few are either dissapointed immensly or just hated it. :wink:

Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:17 pm
Hot Fuss

zach wrote:
Zingaling wrote:
movies35 wrote:

9/10 (A-)

Alien vs. Predator is a love/hate kind of movie. There's definently people that love it, and people that hate it.

Sky Captain is something that most people love, while a few are either dissapointed immensly or just hated it. :wink:

True, true. \:D/

Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

movies35 wrote:

9/10 (A-)

Excluding critics, the general pubic don't enjoy the movie. My classmates as well as many people on movie boards think it's stupid and boring, thus I think it's underrated. Why didn't they get an Oscar nomination for Best Special Effects?

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I just saw it and its amazing, and very beautiful. B+

Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Horrible! Horrible! Horrible. Bad acting, too short, no plot, and the whole movie looks fake

Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:28 pm
Veteran

C- it was horrible the acting was bad everything about the movie was corny.

Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:15 am
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Sat May 07, 2005 8:45 am
Profile YIM
Veteran

A for effort, but closer to a B. Great style, but it still feels flat at times. Law and Paltrow were a little boring, but Jolie was surprisingly good in her small role. I really wanted to like this more than I did.

Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next