Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Heat 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 14 ]
B 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

Heat 
College Boy Z

Post Heat
Heat

Quote:
Heat is a 1995 American crime film written and directed by Michael Mann. It stars Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, and Val Kilmer.

De Niro plays Neil McCauley, a professional thief, while Pacino plays Lt. Vincent Hanna, veteran LAPD homicide detective tracking down McCauley's crew. The central conflict was based on the experiences of former Chicago police officer Chuck Adamson and his pursuit of a criminal named McCauley in the 1960s, from which the name of De Niro's character was derived.

The film is technically a remake of L.A. Takedown, a 1989 made-for-television film which was also written and directed by Mann; the director had been trying to get Heat made for over a decade, and created L.A Takedown as a simplified version after his efforts were unsuccessful. Heat was a critical and commercial success, grossing $67 million in the United States and $187 million worldwide.

Last edited by zingy on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:05 pm
Golfaholic

stylish, slick, wonderfully acted, suspenseful but yet a little bit overhyped (B+)

Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:08 am
now we know

The second best Michael Mann movie. It is sensational, and the music? SUPERB! The gun fight scenes are brilliant, realistic sounds and situations, the first robbery scene is briliantly executed on screen. Love it. Robert De Niro is also awesome!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:24 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

It's great to see DeNiro and Pacino together but like Levy said it's a bit overrated. A-/B+

Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Exceptional movie. The only downside is that two of the greatest actors of our time share only 5 minutes of screentime together.

A-

Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The BEST Mann film biatch. Action sequences are superior in this film, characters are more deep and involved, and the ending is stronger. Fantastic film

Grade - A

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:21 pm
The Original

10/10

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:24 pm
Squee

DeNiro's last great movie. This movie hits every note perfectly.

:glare:

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:46 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Simply a crime masterpiece- Michael Mann's best movie (haven't seen The Insider yet). The performances from Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino are simply fantastic, and the many other supporting actors (Val Kilmer, Jon Voight, Amy Brenneman, Mykelti Williamson, Tom Sizemore, William Fichtner, Dennis Haysbert) are memorable as well. Very suspenseful, thrilling, fascinating film, featuring one of the best shoot-outs ever filmed and one of the most emotionally powerful endings ever. The music is wonderful as well. One of my all-time favorite movies.

A+

Last edited by rolandka19 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:49 pm
Motherfuckin' sexual

A+

Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

HEAT is truly one of the BEST and has probably the BEST Gunfight in Cinematic History with that L.A Shootout and Pacino and Deniro's meeting was priceless.. This receives an "A"..

Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:02 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

HEAT is truly one of the BEST and has probably the BEST Gunfight in Cinematic History with that L.A Shootout and Pacino and Deniro's meeting was priceless.. This receives an "A"..

Even though there were parts of the film I wasnt keen on - I give it an "A" on the strength of the two things you mention above! They are that good!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:58 am
All Star Poster

Mann's second best film, Collateral was better IMO

A

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:59 am
loyalfromlondon

Definitely one of the best pure cops and robbers tales. As much as this film was hyped to be the showdown between De Niro and Pacino, what really makes it great are the fleshed-out characters, weaving storylines, and, of course, terrific action scenes. Mann's trademark urban style is on full display here, and, though I like Collateral better, this is right up there in solidifying his place as a modern auteur. The meeting in the coffee shop is just iconic to watch, but the climax at the airport is even more thrilling and is unfairly overlooked. It's as entertaining as can be, but has its fair share of depth and character development. Just all-around excellent.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:15 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Heat
A great film. On a technical level, it's absolutely stunning. The direction, sound and lighting were all pitch-perfect, and gave the film a raw, realistic feel. And the acting is excellent across the board, especially from Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro - who are both fantastic. The action sequences are great, especially the bank robbery and the incredibly intense final shootout. It definitely lived up to the hype for me. Mann's second best after Collateral.

A-

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:11 pm
Profile YIM

A very well constructed and acted thriller. The talent here is almost unparalleled and it shows, the film really has some great men working behind it.
Still, I feel its somewhat overhyped. During the action and crime scense as well as all the scenes that set-up everything and provide some shocking insight to the profession of both the cops and robbers. Yet some of the scenes lingering on the personal lives of the characters drag and become rather dull without really adding much character arch or anything else. This makes the film far too long. Don't get me wrong I don't mind sitting through a 3 hour film if there's nothing that could easily be cut, but there are many things here, and they should have been. No reason this film should have been longer than 130min. but its 170min.
Don't get me wrong its great, its just a little flawed, and all these A++++ are overlooking these flaws.
4/5

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:42 am
Wallflower

I wasn't even that crazy about this one. I might give it a C+. It's been awhile since I've seen it.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:55 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

John Savage wrote:
A very well constructed and acted thriller. The talent here is almost unparalleled and it shows, the film really has some great men working behind it.
Still, I feel its somewhat overhyped. During the action and crime scense as well as all the scenes that set-up everything and provide some shocking insight to the profession of both the cops and robbers. Yet some of the scenes lingering on the personal lives of the characters drag and become rather dull without really adding much character arch or anything else. This makes the film far too long. Don't get me wrong I don't mind sitting through a 3 hour film if there's nothing that could easily be cut, but there are many things here, and they should have been. No reason this film should have been longer than 130min. but its 170min.
Don't get me wrong its great, its just a little flawed, and all these A++++ are overlooking these flaws.
4/5

When it comes right down to it, all movies are flawed..

Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:57 am
Profile WWW