Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Underworld 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Underworld 
College Boy Z

Post Underworld
Underworld

Quote:
Underworld is a 2003 action-horror film about the secret history of Vampires and Lycans (an abbreviated form of lycanthrope). It is the first installment (chronologically, the second) in the Underworld series. The main plot revolves around Selene (Kate Beckinsale), a vampire who is a Death Dealer hunting Lycans. She finds herself attracted to a human, Michael Corvin (Scott Speedman) who is being targeted by the Lycans. After Michael is bitten by a Lycan, Selene must decide whether to do her duty and kill him or go against her clan and save him.

While reviewers generally received the film negatively, criticizing the overacting and lack of character development, a smaller number of reviewers praised elements such as the film's stylish Gothic visuals, the "icy English composure" in Kate Beckinsale's performance, and the extensively worked-out vampire-werewolf mythology that serves as the film's backstory.

One of my favorite vampire movies ever. Action-packed. I loved the style and dark-feel the movie had, and Kate Beckinsale was also a big plus. This movie was sooo entertaining and fun, and one of the best of 2003.

A-

Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:33 pm
Extraordinary

Surprisingly, a very good movie. The film actually has a decent story, Kate Beckensale is great and it is a very entertaining movie.

- A-/B+

Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:24 pm
Teh Mexican

i didnt find the movie that quite good, but it isnt bad either!, kinda cheesy but fun, Kate looks great!

C+

Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:29 pm
now we know

Superb movie, which i think i embarrsingly forgot on my top 100 :oops: Everything about the movie was brilliant, the pace, the lighting, the characters and not to mention Kate Beckinsale, she is lush.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Kate Beckinsale plus Werewolfs plus Vampires equals crap. It's better than Van Helsing thou... (D-)

Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:09 am
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Loved the atmosphere, and Kate Beckinsale is a great as an action heroine. There are some really good fight sequences, and it just has such a gothic feel to it that it's impossible not to like (for me anyways). I've been meaning to buy the Unrated Extended Cut.

A-

Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

Stylish, action packed, and very entertaining. I loved the dark tone of this film, and Kate Beckinsale was seductive as ever. The action scenes were well done, and I can't believe this was all done on a very small $23 million dollar budget, very impressive visually, and I'm anticipating the sequel very much.

A

Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Killing With Kindness

A

Totaly awesome film, BJ was not dissapointed with one second of the movie :cool:

Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I'm a sucker for stylish action thrillers and Gothic horror flicks, and I love vampire and werewolf movies when done right, so I'm pretty much inclined to love this film based on concept alone. Luckily the execution nearly lives up to the hype. There are some plausibility issues (despite the fantastical setting), and the story, while intriguing, isn't explored well enough, but the film is so interesting and entertaining that it doesn't really matter. A perfect example of style over substance, though the substance isn't completely missing.

The story in itself is quite interesting, even if the plot is a bit disappointing. The original pitch, 'Romeo and Juliet with vampires and werewolves', isn't that accurate, and it would have been a bit better had it been. Instead of a vampire falling in love with a werewolf, she falls in love with a human who becomes a werewolf (and then, later, a hybrid, which kinda ruins it). A slight difference, but a noticeable one. The overall setting - an ongoing war between the two species - is very cool and quite original, and is made even more effective by the fact that the film begins right in the thick of it, without much exposition. The history is explored later (not nearly deeply enough, though - that's left for the sequel), which makes it much more interesting. A deeply ingrained mythology accompanies all the stylish action, making it more than just a B-grade action flick.

One of the main highlights is the entire style and tone of the film - it's always night, and it's always raining. Very dark and creepy, just adding to the horror element. In between all the gunfights, there are scenes set in a vampire manor or a werewolf den, which helps ground the film with some sort of realism. The special effects are fantastic, despite being on a pretty small budget, as the werewolf transformations - and, indeed, the beasts themselves - are nearly flawless. And the acting is as good as you can expect from an action/horror/thriller, with Beckinsale, Michael Sheen as Lucian, and Bill Nighy as Viktor all standing out. Overall, a very cool movie with an intriguing storyline and fantastic style.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]