Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Juno 

What grade would you give this film?
A 59%  59%  [ 30 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 51

Juno 
Extraordinary

Post Juno
Juno

Quote:
Juno is a 2007 comedy-drama film directed by Jason Reitman and written by Diablo Cody. Ellen Page stars as the title character, an independent-minded teenager confronting an unplanned pregnancy and the subsequent events that put pressures of adult life onto her. Michael Cera, Olivia Thirlby, J. K. Simmons, Allison Janney, Jennifer Garner, and Jason Bateman also star. Filming spanned from early February to March 2007 in Vancouver, British Columbia. The film premiered on September 8 at the 2007 Toronto International Film Festival, receiving a standing ovation.

The film won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and earned three other Oscar nominations, including Best Picture and Best Actress for Page. The film's soundtrack, featuring several songs performed by Kimya Dawson in various guises, was the first number one soundtrack since Dreamgirls and 20th Century Fox's first number one soundtrack since Titanic. Juno earned back its initial budget of $6.5 million in twenty days, the first nineteen of which were when the film was in limited release. The film has gone on to earn more than 35 times that amount for a total of $231 million, becoming the highest grossing film in distributor Fox Searchlight Pictures's history.

Juno received numerous positive reviews from critics, many of whom placed the film on their top ten lists for the year. The film has also received both criticism and praise from members of both the pro-life and pro-choice communities regarding its treatment of abortion.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:24 am
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Post Re: Juno
Isn't this not releasing until 12/5? I'm looking forward to it. How's IMDB registering a 8.7 with over 1000 votes? Did that many people see it already?

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:35 am
Kypade

Fox Searchlight always has about a million free screenings. They've been doing em for about a month, probably, so I'm sure more than 1000 people have seen it.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:39 am
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

kypade wrote:
Fox Searchlight always has about a million free screenings. They've been doing em for about a month, probably, so I'm sure more than 1000 people have seen it.

Holy batfuck, I had no idea about those. Thanks, I learned something today.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:10 am
He didn't look busy?!

it was also the centerpiece for the AFI Film Festival, so it got a TON of pre-release attention.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:49 am
Profile WWW
Grill

I saw it on Wednesday.

I went into the prescreening expecting a great movie. I fell in love with the trailer for it and was excited for the cast. I have to say it was a Fantastic movie. Better then I thought it would be. I laughed as much as I would at a movie with Will Ferrell or Seth Rogen. Ellen Page was flawless. I loved her so much in this movie. Everyone else owned their characters. J.K. Simmons could have easily stolen the show. Cera, Bateman, Garner, Janey and Thirlby did a great job as well. The writing in this movie is probably the best writing in a long time. Diablo Cody deserves an Oscar for this screenplay along with Ellen Page for best actress. I did not think I would see a movie this year that would beat No Country For Old Men but I did. Juno IS the best movie of the year.

A+

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:25 am
Forum General

I'm so glad you loved it! :) It's my most anticipated film of the rest of the year. It seems phenomenal. I can't see the screenplay being better than Adrienne Shelly's Waitress, though.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:21 am
Profile YIM WWW
Killing With Kindness

an A+ woohooo, glad you liked it :thumbsup:

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

i'm not surprised at all. This is getting a better response than Little Miss Sunshine...it's so close to a lock for a BP nom, I can't wait to see it happen.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Am I the only one who doesn't think the dialogue seems like it will be that great from the trailer? The dialogue has been praised but the stuff the title character says in the trailer seems stupid and juvenile, IMO. The "sea monkey" quip isn't even funny, nor are most or any of the other things she says. If the writing isn't better than what is showcased in the trailer then it will be one overrated screenplay.

I loved Ellen Page in Hard Candy, and I wish I could be more excited for this one, but the trailer is nothing special. It looks good, but not great. If it weren't for the incredible word-of-mouth I wouldn't even expect a great film. Because of it I am, and I hope I get one.

Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:04 am
Wallflower

I just watched the international trailer and it was much better, IMO.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:48 pm
Extraordinary

B+
#10 od 2007....although it'll probably get bumped off by Sweeney Todd or Persepolis or something. I liked it, and I wanted to love it, but I didn't. It worked well as a drama/tragedy....but a lot of the comedy fell flat. Really, all the funny parts are in the trailers. Ellen Page was terrific. Jennifer Garner's storyline was probably the most effective...and she was pretty great as well.
I didn't love the screenplay. Jason Bateman's character's relationship with Ellen Page was crazy creepy btw....and I think he was miscast.
I'm not giving it enough credit. I did really like it, the soundtrack was fitting (Cat Power!) and the movie showed hints of greatness throughout the final act.
Best Picture....no.

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:00 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

JUNO - 9/10 (A)

One of the year's very best films. This lives up to the hype that has surrounded it ever since it started making the film festival rounds. It's just a wonderful, heartfelt, hilarious film. The screenplay is absolutely fantastic and contains many laugh-out-loud moments, but also features well-developed characters that you come to sympathize with. The performances are strong across the board. Ellen Page is phenomenal in the title role and delivers a brilliant performance that should garner her lots of praise this awards season. Michael Cera is charming and displays his knack for awkward humor once again. Allison Janney steals every scene she is in and has some of the film's best one-liners. Jason Bateman is good in a role that takes a surprising turn in the final act - I definitely agree that his character was quite creepy. And Jennifer Garner finally gets a film role that is able to show how talented she is. Her performance here is the best of her career, and my favorite female supporting performance so far this year as well. She's just wonderful here - that's the only way to describe it - and her storyline is incredibly compelling and satisfying. This film is just a sweet, funny, heartwarming delight, and should not be missed. It's irresistible.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:05 am
Profile YIM
Grill

thompsoncory wrote:
JUNO - 9/10 (A)

One of the year's very best films. This lives up to the hype that has surrounded it ever since it started making the film festival rounds. It's just a wonderful, heartfelt, hilarious film. The screenplay is absolutely fantastic and contains many laugh-out-loud moments, but also features well-developed characters that you come to sympathize with. The performances are strong across the board. Ellen Page is phenomenal in the title role and delivers a brilliant performance that should garner her lots of praise this awards season. Michael Cera is charming and displays his knack for awkward humor once again. Allison Janney steals every scene she is in and has some of the film's best one-liners. Jason Bateman is good in a role that takes a surprising turn in the final act - I definitely agree that his character was quite creepy. And Jennifer Garner finally gets a film role that is able to show how talented she is. Her performance here is the best of her career, and my favorite female supporting performance so far this year as well. She's just wonderful here - that's the only way to describe it - and her storyline is incredibly compelling and satisfying. This film is just a sweet, funny, heartwarming delight, and should not be missed. It's irresistible.

Agreed!

Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:54 am
Grill

bump

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:46 am
Sbil

Juno is witty, heartfelt, and generally a joy to watch. Diablo Cody's screenplay is wonderful - the film never aims to be anything more than it is, which is what makes it so appealing, and director Jason Reitman also does a great job. It helps that Ellen Page, who I have not really been exposed to previously, turns Juno into one of the most memorable leads in "teen film" history (ranking with fine company like Ferris Bueller and Cher Horowitz); her timing and delivery are both impeccable, and one can easily see the emotions bubbling underneath Juno's bravado. All of the supporting cast do exactly that: they "support" Page. Michael Cera is adorable and genuine. JK Simmons and Allison Janney are very funny as Juno's father and stepmother, who don't act like the buffoons who often show up as the parents in teen films. Similarly, Olivia Thrilby comes across as a realistic friend for Juno, not some scripted creation. Jason Bateman (who disappointingly has no scenes with Cera; no Arrested Development reunion here, sorry folks) brings out the human qualities in a flawed character. The lovely Jennifer Garner glows and is responsible for much of Juno's emotional impact. Capping off a year that has been strangely solid for movies about pregnancy (Knocked Up and Waitress are also excellent), Juno is a real treat. A

Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:02 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Great script and original. Not sure it's "amazing" as a lot are saying. It's a really well-written and acted movie. B+

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:05 am
Extraordinary

A special, special movie.

Makes Knocked Up look like an immature fratboy third person view of pregnancy (which it happens to be), and rivals Waitress in it's authentic grrrrrlll's-I perspective on the "predicament"...

Juno rings true, like the church bell in an old nun's cloister - - errr... maybe not quite - - but ya get the picture...

Razor sharp writing and a matching razor sharp performance by Ellen Page vault this film into the rarified air of perfection - - it really is a perfect movie - - what with the fantastically hilarious supporting cast and the script that just won't give in to conformity, well, ladies and gentlemen we've got ourselves a precious gem refracting and reflecting the human condition in a purer state than we're used to seeing it - - this is a gosh, darn honest bit of, ya know like, real life.

Top ten status assured (both of the year and decade), and a sparkling denouement to another fine filmgoing season.

Juno rates an easy:

27 out of 5.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:57 am
Grill

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Libs wrote:
Capping off a year that has been strangely solid for movies about pregnancy (Knocked Up and Waitress are also excellent), Juno is a real treat. A

Don't forget Lake of Fire.

HAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:13 am
Forum General

Briefly:

My worries going in involving the film's potentially annoying "hipness" turned out to be unfounded. In fact, it's really unfair that the film has been painted as this year's indie hipster flick, because it's nothing of the sort: Rather, it's a loving, emotional portrait of a handful of extremely affecting characters.

I loved this movie. The ending, in particular, just killed me, with Juno on the bed, and the flashback to the note.

I think audiences are going to take to this one when more people start talking about it (or when awards attention starts kicking in). Like I said before, it's a crowdpleaser. And I mean that in the best way possible.

A

My favorite film of the year.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:50 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

There's "school smart" and then there's "street smart", and while they're certainly not mutually exclusive, Juno definitely displays the latter in spades...

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:27 am
Devil's Advocate

Looks like Juno's Oscar chances just got a boost

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:53 pm
Extraordinary

loyalfromlondon wrote:
But as someone who sat through 4 years of screenwriting courses and know very well the type, I grew tired of Diablo's work within 10 minutes.

There ya go... that's that "school smart" I was talking about a couple posts back...

What's up? All of a sudden the board's full of "experts" -- between loyal's screenwriting superiority, and Gulli's end-of-the-world erudition,

Gullimont wrote:
I dunno,im going to be an arrogant bastard for a second and say I know apocalypse cinema better then anybody on this site and ill say this film is very very well done.

and Thegun's Shakespearean saavy,

Thegun wrote:
I have to give the edge to Lawrence Olivier, who did win Best Actor for Hamlet. Spending almost two years of English class on Hamlet, as well as all the different interpretations.

...there's just no room left for us tiny mortals walking amongst these giants of scholarly intellect!

:roll:

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:07 pm
Sbil

Shack wrote:
Looks like Juno's Oscar chances just got a boost

Ha! And, yes.

Loyal is on crack as usual.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:25 pm

Seeing it either tomorrow or Sunday, I can wait, but I am sometwhat excited, now that is an honest response.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 249 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next