Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 P2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

P2 
Extraordinary

Post P2
P2

Quote:
P2 is a 2007 thriller film directed by Franck Khalfoun, written and produced by Khalfoun, Alexandre Aja and Grégory Levasseur and starring Rachel Nichols and Wes Bentley.

The trio of Khalfoun, Aja and Levasseur have worked on other genre films as well, including the critically acclaimed 2006 film The Hills Have Eyes. The name of the film comes from the underground parking garage level in which the film takes place. The plot revolves around Angela (Nichols), a young businesswoman who is imprisoned on Christmas Eve in the parking garage beneath the downtown Manhattan office block where she works. Her captor is loner Thomas (Bentley), the obsessive and psychopathic security guard of the underground parking lot, who has been secretly stalking Angela for sometime and has finally snapped, leading to a murderous game of cat-and-mouse.

P2 was rated "R" by the MPAA for "strong violence/gore, terror and language."

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re: P2
P2 - 8/10 (B+)

Was almost a 7/10 ( B ) but considering I gave RED EYE a B+ and this is more well-crafted I've got to give it the same. I wish Rachel McAdams had been in this one instead. But anyway, it's a very enjoyable thriller with a nice holiday-themed touch.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:39 am
Orphan

Mike wrote:
P2 - 8/10 (B+)

Was almost a 7/10 ( B ) but considering I gave RED EYE a B+ and this is more well-crafted I've got to give it the same. I wish Rachel McAdams had been in this one instead. But anyway, it's a very enjoyable thriller with a nice holiday-themed touch.

Without spoiling anything as I'm going to see it either tomorrow or Sunday (depends if I can make it to it tomorrow as it is the planned 5th movie of the day after 3 Horrorfest movies and Lions for Lambs), how is Rachel Nichols in it?

Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:44 am
Wallflower

She was surprisingly very solid. I wasn't expecting much. My only problem with her is that she's just so bland looking. I know that's a horrible thing to say but there's just nothing interesting about her looks. Even people I don't find particularily attractive can still have an interesting look, and she just doesn't. I feel kind of bad for saying that because I don't dislike her and she does a really good job in the movie, but it was one reason I wasn't as excited about seeing it. It just lacked an interesting lead. Thankfully her performance isn't bland though.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:06 am
Orphan

I actually think she was cute in Resurrecting the Champ, the only movie I've seen her in.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 am
Wallflower

I haven't seen that one yet. I want to though.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:22 am
Leader of the Pack

Wow, i can't understand how anyone could find this good at all. It felt just like a crappy B horror flick. In fact, i don't know why this didn't go straight to DVD. Bentley was kinda entertaining, but besides the insane amount of clevage (seriously there comes a points when the puppies just need to come out), it was almost unbearable to watch. Since i didn't literally hate it, i give it a.......
D-

Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:29 am
Wallflower

Well, Roger Ebert liked it. It's also the best-reviewed of the wide releases this weekend.

Here's his review (He gave it *** of ****):

P2

/ / / November 8, 2007

by Roger Ebert

If you have seen the ads for "P2," or even heard about them, you know what the movie involves. A woman works late in the office on Christmas Eve, leaves after everyone else, descends to parking level P2 to get her car, finds it won't start and then meets the homicidal madman who is the overnight lot attendant. Yes, I know, it sounds like a formula slasher film, but it's actually done well, and in the current climate at least most Women in Danger films end up with Men in Danger. Elements of "P2" even reminded me a little of Jodie Foster's "Panic Room" -- especially in complexities involving cell phones, alarms, spycams, and doors that are locked or unlocked.

The movie benefits from being played about as straight as it can be, given the material. Rachel Nichols, as the endangered heroine Angela, doesn't do stupid things or make obvious mistakes. And Wes Bentley, as the lonely guy on overnight duty, doesn't froth at the mouth and cackle with insane zeal. Oh, he's insane, all right, but he's one of those insane Lonely Guys who can't understand why Angela doesn't want to share his Christmas dinner (turkey and trimmings, and even corn muffins!), even though he has stripped her to her lingerie, chained her to the furniture and has a savage dog lunging at her. He's just trying to be friends.

A movie like this depends on invention in the screenplay. You can't merely have the woman running around frantically while the guy pops up in the foreground with a standard horror movie swooshing sound. There has to be a little logic. And Angela thinks of most of the right things to do, even though most of the time she can't do them. In today's high-security climate, if you're locked in, you're locked in. One day when we have more time, I'll tell you about when I went for a winter stroll in London's Hyde Park and didn't know the gates were locked at 6, and how it started snowing while I was trying to climb a slushy hill to get to a tree branch that I thought might allow me to drop over a 6-foot fence topped with sharp spikes, and how when I balanced on the tree and called for help to passers-by, they walked a little faster.

It's that kind of an evening for Angela. She does everything right, but it doesn't work. And when she somehow gets out a garbled call for help on 911, two cops turn up and they do everything right, too. Often in thrillers, the cops are practically standing on a dead body and don't notice anything. But these guys are pros, they follow the ropes, they don't take Thomas' story at face value, and still they don't save Angela. It's a lot more exciting that way.

This is, in case you haven't noticed, the best autumn for movies in years. There are a dozen, maybe two dozen, movies in current release that I would recommend over "P2." Maybe four dozen. Maybe three dozen. But horror movies routinely "win the weekend" at the box office, and it is no small consolation that the customers who insist on their horror movie this weekend will see a well-made one. It's such a good season that even the slashers are superior.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../711080305/1023

Last edited by Magic Mike on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:30 pm
New Server, Same X

Wow, I came into the review thread expecting the usual "wow, what a predictable horror flick D-" (which I sorta got), but I didn't expect to read a positive review from Roger Ebert. :| Too bad the film was either released three weeks too early or three weeks too late.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:56 pm
Orphan

X-Man wrote:
Too bad the film was either released three weeks too early or three weeks too late.

I vote 3 weeks too early. It would be better to be release closer to Christmas considering it has a Christmas theme.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:59 pm
Extraordinary

Even though I'm not a horror fan, the title of this movie is just so darn good, it almost makes me want to see it!

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:48 am
Wallflower

It's more of a thriller though. So if you like those you should like this.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:39 am
He didn't look busy?!

this looks pretty intriguing, especially after the reviews, but there are far too many better movies out there that I have to see, so this'll probably be a DVD viewing for me.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:02 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I've watched about 70 minutes of this (I have a DVD screener) and it isn't very good at all. There is almost no tension because I don't feel the lead woman is in any kind of danger at all. Bentley doesn't play this "villan" very well.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
Teenage Dream

I actually wrote this opening weekend, but it has been held up in editing the last couple of days. Suffice to say, this is one of the most surprising movies of the year.

Quote:
Embracing genre conventions while also subverting them, P2 is a surprising, deviant jolt to the current tepid state of horror filmmaking in America. The Christmas Eve plot follows Angela, a successful businesswoman who is trapped in a parking garage by a psychopathic security guard. There's an under-developed subplot about Angela's relationship with her family, but the movie is more about suspense than family tension.

P2 is a skillful juggling act of slasher genre comforts and distinctive rule-bending with only a few missteps. Some examples of clichés turned upside down include a pair of cops who are neither bumbling or incompetent, an implied male hero/savior that never pans out, and a heroine in peril that makes surprisingly rational and intelligent decisions. Best of all, the half-baked feminist overtones ever-present in this genre are taken to rousing, absurd heights. Angela is a powerful career woman who is single and happy that way. Her delusional male captor is intimidated by her feminine power, and in order for his fantasy to play out, he needs to put her on a level he can handle. So he dresses her in a cleavage bearing dress while she is unconscious, even taking the time to cake on red lipstick. This obtuse beautification is flipped on its head, as at the end of the film Angela ends up caked in red blood, fighting both the male captor and his delusional, idealized objectification of her.

P2 is a grizzly movie; it's from the artistic trio of French filmmakers that made the truly sick Haute Tension and The Hills Have Eyes remake. However, in another twist on our expectations, the gore acts as punctuation marks to the suspenseful meat of the film. Another twist is the film's usage of modern technology; slasher films usually avoid plot-busters like cell phones and security cameras, but P2 embraces them as a tool for suspense.

The director (Franck Khalfoun) creates a sense of environment and space, something that is crucial to the success of any horror movie, gliding the camera through the various levels of the parking garage and the attached office building. The environment is further enhanced by the inspired use of holiday music and the bizarre black comedy of Wes Bentley's baroque, chewing-through-the-wall performance. The filmmakers admirably refuse to sexualize their female lead even though they have plenty of opportunity. All of the previous movies from this group of filmmakers have featured women in prominent roles subverting societal expectations and kicking ass in general.

When compared to the neutered PG-13 "thrillers" and overdone hard-R torture films of today, P2 is wholly refreshing. While still suffering from the cliches inherent in a slasher film and an occasionally generic visual style, P2 works as suspenseful filmmaking with remarkable depth for the genre. And it has a great, beautiful ending.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:25 am
Leader of the Pack

Click here to read a real review from a critic who seems to be the only sane one in this thread...

http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2007/11/12/horror-flick-%e2%80%98p2%e2%80%99-an-un-scary-suckfest/

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:15 am
Teenage Dream

RonBurgundy wrote:
Click here to read a real review from a critic who seems to be the only sane one in this thread...

http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2007/11/12/horror-flick-%e2%80%98p2%e2%80%99-an-un-scary-suckfest/

Well I'm glad we have Jay Brissenden from that bastion of film criticism the Nevada Sagebrush to set us all straight.

He spends the majority of the review not saying anything substantial about the movie to eventually sum it all up with "it has bad dialogue". Cool.

If you are going to find a negative review for P2, I'm sure you can do a lot better than this.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:17 am
Leader of the Pack

makeshift wrote:
RonBurgundy wrote:

Well I'm glad we have Jay Brissenden from that bastion of film criticism the Nevada Sagebrush to set us all straight.

He spends the majority of the review not saying anything substantial about the movie to eventually sum it all up with "it has bad dialogue". Cool.

If you are going to find a negative review for P2, I'm sure you can do a lot better than this.

First, The Nevada Sagebrush in the #1 ranked College Newspaper in the Country, so it is a respectable source.

Second, they have always had short reviews that basically just sum up the movie. They have never been able to have in depth reviews, due to word count restrictions.

Third and finally, ouch..... I really like that review, i thought i did a pretty good job writing it!
:sweat:

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:37 pm
Teenage Dream

RonBurgundy wrote:
makeshift wrote:
RonBurgundy wrote:

First, The Nevada Sagebrush in the #1 ranked College Newspaper in the Country, so it is a respectable source.

Second, they have always had short reviews that basically just sum up the movie. They have never been able to have in depth reviews, due to word count restrictions.

Third and finally, ouch..... I really like that review, i thought i did a pretty good job writing it!

The review is fine for what it is, I was just a bit perturbed to see it being passed off as the definitive statement on P2.

If it is your work, you need to take credit for it from the get-go man!

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:47 pm
Orphan

RonBurgundy wrote:
makeshift wrote:
RonBurgundy wrote:

#1 ranked college newspaper? Says who? Even if, it hardly means anything. Who outside of people that go to the college read the newspaper? Hell, I go to a college but never read the paper anymore because I have better things to do. People in general don't read newspapers much anymore.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:12 pm
Leader of the Pack

Joe wrote:
#1 ranked college newspaper? Says who? Even if, it hardly means anything. Who outside of people that go to the college read the newspaper? Hell, I go to a college but never read the paper anymore because I have better things to do. People in general don't read newspapers much anymore.

The AP Press. It was a pretty big thing for our little school here in Reno, NV. You really are right about people not reading them anymore... That is why i am just doing this for the resume for now and then looking to do magazines or online writing. :D And i am just a Freshman, so i got a long way to go...

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:31 pm
Forum General

I thought it was pretty bad. I didn't feel like the lead character was in any kind of danger at all, which is one of it's huge problems. Still, it was well directed and the acting was decent.

5/10 (C-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:15 am
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

Charlie, just because he wasn't going to kill her doesn't mean she shouldn't try and get away. Let's see, he practically molests her while she's knocked out and he has her chained up, held there against her will and the building is closed down for 3 whole days. She's supposed to be with her family for Christmas. She's just supposed to go along with it for that whole time? Umm, no. Being in that situation would be scary and creepy. Not to mention he freakin' murders other people. Just because it's not her she should act like everything is fine I guess :P. Maybe he wasn't trying to kill her, but he was a psycho and almost anyone in that situation would be trying like hell to get away from him. I know I would. Your insisting that she was stupid for putting up a fight gets a :roll: from me.

Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:23 am
Forum General

I mean that she should have waited a bit longer to try to get away. She should have went along with it, so she would have made him think he was in no danger of her trying to hurt him or get away from him and then she should have tried to get away.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

I liked it.

Ebert's review is pretty spot-on for why I liked it. It's still your typical horror/thriller, but also not. I liked how smart the lead was, yet she could not escape at all. All her decisions seemed realistic. And Wes Bentley plays an incredibly creepy security guard who's not some super-human, extra clever killer, but just your average guy. He had a good plan, but not everything worked out for him. It's gory, but not over-the-top. It's creepy, not totally predictable, and entertaining. And it's one of the more "realistic" slasher films I've seen in a while. P2 is not the new great horror movie that people need to rush out to see or anything, but it delivers.

**1/2

Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next