Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Are We There Yet? 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Are We There Yet? 
College Boy Z

Post Are We There Yet?
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Are We There Yet? is a 2005 American family comedy film which was produced by Revolution Studios and was distributed by Columbia Pictures, directed by Brian Levant. Although it was panned by critics, it grossed $82 million in North America alone and sold 3.7 million DVDs.

The film, while set in Portland, Oregon, Vancouver, British Columbia and other parts of the Pacific Northwest, was mostly shot on location in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, including a view of the Lions' Gate Bridge, the Financial District skyscrapers and the downtown scene near the film's conclusion. A sequel, Are We Done Yet?, was released in 2007, and a television series based around the film's main characters premiered in 2010.

Last edited by zingy on Wed May 25, 2005 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:30 pm
New Server, Same X

Ouch. I'm the first to review this? Well, it's bland at best. Nothing about this is special. Nothing about this is unique. Hell, nothing about this is hilarious! It's just a recycled film, made up of all sorts of films like it. There's a ridiculous singing scene, that makes no sense. There's a pale attempt at a villain, who just misunderstands the entire situation. The kids are straight from hell, until ol' Nick shows some love for them, and they forget COMPLETELY about their original dad. Ice Cube tackling a deer: NOT priceless. Another SENSELESS scene showing these typical kids listening to The Hampster Dance, something so inconceivable, that even whoever made the song must have shook their head at how ridiculous that is. Cube himself turns on some rap to satiate his "homeboy" roots. The kids don't go for it. In fact, they act like a bunch of white kids, and wonder what the hell it is. Jay Mohr plays some dumb friend and store co-owner with Nick, and is one of those lame white guys who tries to act cool. I want to see he tried to act black, but he only looked more white.

Ah, but the most idiotic ploy of the entire movie to garner some laughs. A TALKING BOBBLE-HEAD, played by none other than the talking moron, Tracy Morgan. Someone REALLY needs to tell him he isn't funny at all. But, I may be in the minority, seeing as how SOMEONE must think he's funny. Well, considering he only lands success in very supporting roles, he can't be that great. "Axe" him about his failed sitcom. So, Ice Cube imagines the talking bobble-head is talking to him. Umm, why? Shouldn't he be put in a mental institution? A BOBBLEHEAD IS TALKING HIM AND TELLING HIM WHAT TO DO. Sorry, I may be crazy, but never has an inanimate object ever spoken to me in any way. That's when I check into the nuthouse before I set my own house on fire. And it's great if the bobblehead at least squeezes off a few zingers, but his best attempt is finding his neck spring all stretched, and proclaiming he has a bad case of whiplash. His best attempt succeeds with a small smile, at best.

Any other problems, you axe? Yes. WHY THE HELL DOES ICE CUBE REPLACE THE WORD ASK WITH AXE? Are we that lazy that we can't develop a proper speaking voice, to say these words properly? Does everyone outside of my hometown say axe instead of ask? Did I miss that memo? I can tolerate shit like "dawg", and "ya feel me?", and "ya dig, dawg?", even if it's possibly the lowest that the language can get. But replacing ask with axe? Moronic. Idiotic. Ludicrous. There is nothing to redeem this film, except a few lame jokes, here and there. But they conjure up a single chuckle at best, nothing more. Man, I just remembered how much I hated the film. I actually considered a "C" for this film, but that is WAY too generous. Based upon the few chuckles, and a decent enough job from Ice Cube (a natural to comedy, if only he could pick better comedic roles), I'll give this a still incredibly generous D+.

Grade: D+

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:21 pm
College Boy Z

I'll axe my mom to take me to this. :wink:

I'm not really seeing it, just so you know.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:23 pm
New Server, Same X

Oh, and one more thing. Was that ending ANY more forced? The mom hates Nick, but allows the bozo to come in and say goodbye to her kids, even though he'll see them eventually anyway, even if it means from a distance, and all the shit he says makes them love him more, and guess what? She loves him, too! Mainly because he has a way with her demonic kids. Doesn't matter that she barely knows if he's a good boyfriend, but since he's good with the kids, that's fine. Hey lady... MAYBE he can become their babysitter instead! Start off slow. No, instead she jumps head first into this, thanks to his way with her kids and all his "nice guy" gestures, that are only so he can sleep with her. Argh, this film is lucky I don't reward it with a D or even an F.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:26 pm
New Server, Same X

:rofl:

I'll axe my mom to take me to this. :wink:

I'm not really seeing it, just so you know.

ARGH! Definitely don't see this. I only saw it because I think Ice Cube is a decent actor (possibly a stretch after this), and I thought the film would have a few laughs. I shouldn't have been so shocked after seeing the trailer and not laughing once, thinking "Hey, maybe they saved the best for the movie!" Nope, wrong again.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:28 pm
Sbil

Oh, right. Never posted my review in this section.

A miserable exercise in teeth-gnashing. D+

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:34 pm
New Server, Same X

I figured you forgot, but I can't honestly blame you.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:35 pm
College Boy T

Did your niece enjoy it at least? ;)

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:44 pm
College Boy Z

Is this "niece" a cover up for "My name is Libs, and Are We There Yet? was my most anticipated of 2005!"? :wink:

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:47 pm
Sbil

Is this "niece" a cover up for "My name is Libs, and Are We There Yet? was my most anticipated of 2005!"? :wink:

I wish I was making her up to excuse the fact I saw this piece of crap, but I'm not.

Yes, my niece is 12 and (somehow) enjoyed it.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:12 pm
Hot Fuss

Zingaling wrote:

I wish I was making her up to excuse the fact I saw this piece of crap, but I'm not.

Yes, my niece is 12 and (somehow) enjoyed it.

Now, now. Young minds, "fresh" ideas. Let's be tolerant \:D/ :wink:

MY cousin phoned me from Michigan, she is 13 and managed to say it was funny. I still won't be seeing it, ofcourse, but it seems to have the approval of the kiddie masses.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

It wasn't too bad. Very funny. Cliched yes, forced towards the end, yes. Overall though it was at least slightly enjoyable. Grade: B

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:44 am
We had our time together

Yep, slightly enjoyable but sometimes incredibly dumb. C

Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Tue May 24, 2005 7:33 pm
Forum General

I thought it was cute. One of the better comedies I've seen recently.

7/10 (B-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue May 24, 2005 7:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did I just see a movie with a talking bobble-head doll?

So, you ask if we're there yet? The answer is no. D-

Wed May 25, 2005 9:12 pm
Teh Mexican

The only "funny" part was when the kid peed all over the lady!

everything else was stupid and dumb!

ooh and Ice Cube Sucks!

D+

Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:47 pm
You must have big rats

This was originally written for Adam Sandler and it probably explains why I don't like most Adam Sandler movies. In any case, I can't imagine it being any worse than this Ice Cube vehicle. The only reason why it didn't jumped to my #1 spot of the worst movies of the year is our beloved Dr. Uwe Boll and his masterpiece of crap cinema Alone in the Dark. If it wasn't for that crapola this pathetic attempt at comedy would certainly grace the top spot of the worst movies this year. Now it only comes in as the close second.

I should have learned my lesson with Johnson Family Vacation which was actually the worst movie I have seen all last year and also one of the very worst I have seen in my entire life. In comparison to that movie this one actually appears as decent entertainment. By itself, though it is a very clichéd, unfunny and pointless movie which brings the word "predictability" to an entirely new level. I guess urban-oriented road trip movies with kids should always be avoided at any cost! Makes one long for good old Home Alone flicks which have shown that harmless kid flicks can actually be done well and funny. Now it would be wrong of me to say that Ice Cube is generally unfunny because I actually found Friday and Next Friday to be really funny movies (haven't seen the third), but in this one he's simply misplaced. He doesn't generate any laughs and he's first appearance in the movie is simply laughable with all the chains hanging down from his neck. That's just embarassing.

Now don't get me even started about the talking bobble-head! Whoever thought it was an interesting and original idea to put that into the movie should be shot. If it at least was funny, I could tolerate it, but it certainly wasn't. Mr. X got it right on. Next time a bobble-head or anything similar tries talking to me I certainly will check into a loony bin voluntary. Maybe the enire movie was approchaed from a different angle that it should have been? It should have dealt with Ice Cube's severe mental illness making him "hear voices". Could have been a much better movie then it turned out to be.

Moreover, I don't know if it was just me, but during the entire movie my only wish was to throw the kids in front of a moving train or to throw them in that burning car and lock them up there.

The reason why I don't give this movie a worse grade is because I simply have seen movies worse, way worse tht insulted my movie taste even moreso than this one.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

The only thing funny in this movie is Nia Long's pathetic hairdo.

D

Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]