Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Dark Crystal 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

The Dark Crystal 

Post The Dark Crystal
The Dark Crystal

Quote:
The Dark Crystal is a 1982 British and American fantasy film directed by puppeteers Jim Henson and Frank Oz, creators of The Muppet Show. Although still marketed as a family film, it was notably darker than previous material created by them. Characters for which they are famous do not appear, but some of the same performers are used. The animatronics used in the film were considered groundbreaking. The primary concept artist was the fantasy illustrator Brian Froud, famous for his distinctive faerie and dwarf designs. Froud also collaborated with Jim Henson and Frank Oz for their next project, the 1986 film Labyrinth, which was notably more light-hearted than The Dark Crystal.

The Dark Crystal was produced by Gary Kurtz, whose list of credits includes American Graffiti, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Return to Oz, and Slipstream. The screenplay was written by David Odell, who had worked with Henson as a staff writer on The Muppet Show. Trevor Jones provided the film's atmospheric music. The film makes an attempt to study the nature of good and evil in terms of conscience, destiny, and the triune nature of harmony. The film was produced by ITC Entertainment, the British production company responsible for producing The Muppet Show.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: The Dark Crystal
A

One of my all time favorites. I seem to have too many of them, but this would bump a fair few off that list.

Can't wait for the sequel in 2009? :biggrin:

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Beautiful film with a pretty boring storyline.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:01 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Yeah I thought I loved all things Henson, but I saw this for the very first time last night--in 35mm, no less--and its a pretty bad movie. It's gorgeous, [visually] ambitious, but....baddddddd

Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:29 am
Extraordinary

Zzzzzzz...

Rating: Z

Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:52 pm
The Wall

Saw this one today. It's a cute movie. The story is slightly hilarious, but the thing that surprised me the most is that the "fake" language Kira speaks is actually weirdly pronounced Croatian. LOL.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

We always had the VHS in my house, and I recall a few scenes, but I'd need to watch it again.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:14 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]