Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford 

What grade would you give this film?
A 57%  57%  [ 16 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28

Post The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Quote:
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (often shortened to The Assassination of Jesse James) is a 2007 American Western drama film. The film is directed by Andrew Dominik, with Brad Pitt portraying Jesse James and Casey Affleck as his eventual killer Robert Ford. Filming took place in Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg. Initially intended for a 2006 release, the film was postponed and re-edited for a September 21, 2007 release. An adaptation of Ron Hansen's 1983 novel of the same name, the film dramatizes the relationship between James and Ford. This is Pitt and Affleck's first collaboration outside of the Ocean's trilogy.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD - 9/10 (A)

An amazing film. It begins with a slow pace, immediately suggesting to the audience that this isn't a typical Western. My reaction to the film was unique in a sense because I didn't love it right away. But it quietly kept proving to be effective and fascinating, and by the final hour I was so engrossed that I realized how brilliant this film was. It sneaks up on the viewer, using visuals and rich dialogue to connect with them instead of standard action sequences seen in most westerns. The cinematography is absolutely flawless and gorgeous. This is a visual feast, and director Andrew Dominik uses many different techniques to give each image its own bit of symbolism. It's impossible not to be entranced by it. The haunting, effective score is also hypnotic, and works perfectly within the film. But the performances...WOW. I was totally blown away by how brilliant they were. Let me just say this. Brad Pitt delivers what is easily one of the best performances I've ever seen here. He literally transforms into the character of Jesse James, and gives the character so much depth. It's obvious from the getgo that he isn't a good person, but instead of painting him as a standard villain, Pitt makes him likable, fascinating, charismatic, sympathetic, scary and mysterious. By the end you really feel for his character, which makes the fact that you already know how the film ends all the more tragic. I was completely blown away by Pitt. There's one scene in particular, a moment that occurs after he senselessly beats a child for information, that serves as a brief example of how great his performance is. Casey Affleck is also phenomenal and gives the best performance of his career in this star-making role. His character is also fascinating to watch, especially as Ford evolves from mild-mannered fan to determined assassin. He is equal parts terrifying and moving, and really gives the role his all. The supporting cast is also excellent. Sam Rockwell is wonderful as Ford's older brother, and Paul Schneider gives a strong performance as a rebellious member of Jesse's gang. Mary-Louise Parker isn't given a whole lot to do at first, but her final scene is really fantastic and shows how great of an actress she is. Although it is being typecast as a Western, this is really a tale of obsession that could be viewed in a modern context - with Casey Affleck as a crazed fan and Brad Pitt as an admired celebrity. It is also a tale of betrayal, and it really exemplifies this during the final hour. These scenes, which take place on the day of James's murder and the years afterward, are the best of the film. The scenes leading up to the assassination filled me with dread and sadness, and the actual murder is one of the most tragic and effective moments of any film I've seen in years. And by focusing on the years after the murder, Dominik makes this film even more tragic. By the time its haunting final frame came across the screen and the narrator uttered his final lines of dialogue, I found myself equally entranced and chilled to the bone. This is easily one of the best films of the year, and if Pitt and Affleck don't receive Oscar nominations there is no justice in the world. It's just a masterpiece.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:36 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

This was almost a perfect film. So many words went through my head after the film was over....beautiful, mesmerizing, haunting, powerful, etc. Just such a mind blowing film, an awful travesty that some critics don't appreciate this film more. I hear some comparing it to Malick films? They should be banned from ever writing a review again, just so off in that comparison. It's as if Andrew Dominick (director, writer) raped these critics childhood or something.

The movie is first and foremost gorgeous to look at, every shot is a piece of art, however you might feel about the actual movie, nobody can deny that the cinematography is amazing. The movie itself grabbed me from the get go, as I mentioned in the beginning of my post though, it was ALMOST perfect, it could've been cut some in the first 90min, but there was something to appreciate in every scene, no matter what it might have been there was always something to grab you. The last 45min were so tense, it grabbed by the balls and kept on squeezing until I couldn't take the pressure anymore, again, the film just left me with so many emotions I still don't know where to start or end.

Cast all around did a superb job, with of course Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck being the stars, a lot of talk seems to be going to Affleck who was really really good, every word that came out of his mouth felt like someone who was in pain and lifeless, a lost and tortured soul who didn't know how to live a life of his own, but one that wanted to live in the footsteps of others. Affleck is a rising star and this seems to be an awesome year for him. Who blew me away more then Affleck was Pitt, I have not seen Pitt this good since, well...ever. A character of different persona's and feelings, and Pitt nailed it all, he did not miss a beat with his portrayal of Jesse James.

All in all, I don't see how anyone who appreciates cinema or art for that matter can dislike this film, it's got so many things to offer and admire that no matter what flaws it may have, have no effect in the end result. My favorite film of the year and one that deserves so much more recognition and credit then it will probably ever get.

A+

Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:46 am
Extraordinary

I was thinking about going to see this movie, but those two reviews above ^ scared me out of it...

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:37 am
Where will you be?

I wasn't quite as enamoured as you two, but there's no denying that the film was as one critic said "shot and scored like a dream". The performances were strong too, but I have to say that the incredible length really weighed down on me. Honestly I was struggling to stay awake at points. For me it was a classic case of one of those films I can admire much more than I can really love.

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:34 pm
Pure Phase

Best film of the year. Just... wow. Every element is perfect and they form a jaw-dropping, gut-wrenching whole I won't soon forget.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:58 pm
Where will you be?

Gunslinger wrote:
Best film of the year. Just... wow. Every element is perfect and they form a jaw-dropping, gut-wrenching whole I won't soon forget.

A

I swear this is like the eighteenth time I've seen that exact same review from you recently.

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:51 pm
Extraordinary

MovieDude wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

A

I swear this is like the eighteenth time I've seen that exact same review from you recently.

Perhaps, due to time constraints, he outsources his movie reviews to the Review-o-tron 5000 Online Opinionbot...

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:12 pm
Teenage Dream

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is a lot of things.

It's a tranquil and languorous examination of the inevitability of one man's death and all of the pieces of it that seem to be guided together by an omnipotent presence. It's a deconstruction of celebrity and hero worship. It's a meticulous and thorough, almost documentary-like look at the final years of an American icon. It's a searing character study that features a handful of the best performances in a long time.

But what it is mostly (and most importantly) is an unequivocal cinematic experience, and this is something that is nearly impossible to verbalize. It is a movies movie. It exists and thrives on a level that is rarely reached by any film, let alone any we have seen released by a major studio this year. It is so beautiful and so transcendent that the images could exist apart from the movie and still be meaningful. The entire train robbery sequence is one of the most flawless pieces of filmmaking I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot of movies. The entire movie is filled with gorgeous, expressionistic lighting. There hasn't been a better showcase for the importance of lighting in a movie since Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. There is emphatic and devastating use of freeze frame in the final ten minutes. This is a movie that just begs to be seen, and then seen again.

The best way I could sum up the experience of Jesse James is it's like a modern day documentary about a 100 year old event built entirely around artful reenactments. Oh, and a complete and utter masterpiece.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:28 pm
Devil's Advocate

I'd be lying if I didn't see that, a makeshift uber rave, coming from milessss away. ;)

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:13 pm
Teenage Dream

Shack wrote:
I'd be lying if I didn't see that, a makeshift uber rave, coming from milessss away. ;)

Indeed, the one negative aspect of my love for this movie is the utter predictability of it. There is nothing greater than a movie that sneaks up on you. But at least I can say some of the reasons I ended up loving it were total surprises.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:19 pm
Devil's Advocate

Well, the flipside of the surprise film fun, is to go into a movie with high expectations and not only have them met, but surpassed. That's always good.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:23 pm
Full Fledged Member

I enjoy being contrary in threads like this, but having seen the movie I have to say I agree w/ all the raves. It really hits you on just about every level possible, and while the running time at first glance seems like a hindrance, you really don't even notice it since the story is so absorbing. Affleck is really terrific - creepy yet oddly endearing. Pitt is convincing & very good as well, and his presence in any scene makes you uneasy yet excited...I knew that of course he would get it in the end, but I never really knew who he was gonna decide to kill/maim. Very 3-dimensional characters, that made you hate them and love them at the same time. Cinematography is great, it's just a really nice film to look at which I kinda wasn't expecting. After seeing 3:10 to Yuma and being rather unimpressed, I thought maybe I subconsciously had something against westerns (or western-themed films), but after Jesse James I am happy to say that is not the case. Anyway one of the best of the year, catch it before it's gone. - A

Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:11 pm
You must have big rats

Hmm,. the movie is getting some serious love here from everyone.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Despite it's running time of 160 minutes, I wasn't bored at all. Both Pitt and Affleck give Oscar worthy performances. Pitt was perfect for the part of Jesse James. He had the charisma the part needed and is brilliant during the darker moments of James. I heard some critism about the middle section, which centers mostly around James gang, but I was entertained and involved the whole time and really liked those parts too. The very ending (after James was shot) could have benefited from one or two minutes less but that's just a minor complaint. Overall I was very satisfied with the film. A-

Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

if it werent for Pitt or Affleck the film would probably receive a D. but those two give simply incredible performances.

The film needed to be cut by about 20 minutes and the voice over narration was so fucking stupid.

C

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:51 pm
You must have big rats

While I was not as enamoured with this as some of you guys were, I can see where all the raves are coming from. This is not just a movie, this is a piece of art. And unlike El Pollo, I can see the comparisons to Malick...with the difference that this film doesn't seem quite as self-indulgent. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Obviously, this was not as much my cup of tea as it was for the other posters here, but there is no denying the fact that this is a very unusual and expertly-made movie with a very different take on Jesse James' story.

So where to start? The performances are all great, I liked the cast a lot. But of course Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck are to be singled out. What I don't understand is how come that Affleck is considered Supporting in this?! He's every bit as much of a lead here as Brad Pitt is. Brad Pitt does a great job as he showcases the charisma, the vulnerability, the sadness and the mental instability of his character all at the same time very well. If I think about it, it's probably the best I've ever seen Brad Pitt to date. Too bad his performance seems to have gone by mostly unnoticed. Casey Affleck delivers his second good performance this year, together with Gone Baby Gone, though I must say that he is even better in this one. Brad Pitt is great, but when Affleck is on screen with him, he just steals the show. I loved the transformation his character undergoes through the course of this film. His mannerisms, his mimickry, the way he delivered the lines...that was all spot on for the character he was playing.

On the technical level, there's little not to like. I was not too fond of the distorted edges during the narration parts, but that's about it. The cinematography is simply beautiful, the best I've seen this year so far. Very many artful shots and that without coming across as gratuitous. The train robbery at night is a beautiful scene and at the same time still very tense. I must say that despite a 150+ minutes running time, I was rarely bored or felt that the film dragged. There are many suspenseful scenes here to be found with the train robbery being the early highlight of the film. I also loved the film's score, it is quite memorable.

Not all was as great, though. I think the film took too much time for some supporting characters, like the ones played by Paul Schneider and Jeremy Renner. It took me out of the main proceedings and rather hurt the film than added to it. With some better editing, I would probably consider this a masterwork similar to other folks on here. As it stands, I consider it a great artistic achievement, but also flawed at that.

Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

I didn't expect this at all..

it looked really boring.. and most reviews I've read assure me that..

but it turned out to be really great.. actually, best '07 movie in my book so far..

A

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:10 pm
Motherfuckin' sexual

I'm so mad that I missed this in theaters. It was in and out in 2 weeks.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:39 am
Profile YIM WWW
Cream of the Crop

Slow paced? Yeah. I knew exactly this wasn't going to be a mainstream "shoot them all" from the comments everywhere, so I was prepared for it. And you know what? Despite feeling the long running time (I won't lie) - specially with no breaks at all which I now thank, I didn't want this to end, in a way. What was happening onscreen was too beautiful and the perfectly orchestrated suspense (a rare feat for a movie that spoils its outcome in the title) just kept me glued, I knew I'd miss this eventually. But at least it ended on a perfect note.

It does require patient viewers, but those will be rewarded. And it's even better in retrospect. The 'M' word can be applied here.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:01 am
Profile WWW
Kypade

So I buy this on dvd and am really excited to see it again and I like it even more. It has been a truly remarkable year, and now I need to find a way to move this film up about five or ten slots (and it's already at like, #12 or something. :()

And since I also never said anything about the film when I saw it in theaters, here is what I wrote directly after that first watch. It's a little outdated, since my problems have mostly vanished (like the soft focus and some of the "extraneous" vignettes.)
Spoiler: show
First: this film has probably the best title of any movie in a long time (if not of all time). That was pretty much the extent of my anticipation for it over the past months...yeah, it has an interesting premise and some great actors, and eventually the trailer got me excited too, but mostly, it was the title. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. It's classy and classic, like some important 18th century novel. It's also incredibly presumptuous - The Assassination is a title. The Assassination of Jesse James is a title. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford? That's more than a title...no title needs to spell out exactly what the film's outcome will be. That word "coward" totally makes it. "The Coward Robert Ford"...the Coward, the Coward who murders Jesse James, one of the most famous outlaws in history. He's a Coward. Also, it just sounds really pretty to say. So know that I was never going to hate this film, because I can't get around that bias.

Now, the movie is, as you might have guessed, about Jesse James and Robert Ford. That's about all I can tell you because man, there's a lot of stuff to sift through here. More than a story, it's a bunch of like, little scenes. They eventually add up to something that you could say the film is "about", but a lot of the time it's difficult to figure out why what you're seeing is important. The film's 2hr40min long, and I gotta say, I don't think it had to be. I don't think it should have been cut up much, really, cuz there's nothing I really didn't want to see...but there's a lot of stuff that's just so harmless and yknow, there. Scenes of three or four people sitting there staring each other down, or laughing for what seems like minutes at a time, for example. Not...say, necessary...but why the fuck not?

Plus, those moments work pretty well to create tension, especially since there's almost never any sense of who these people really are. Conflicted, complex characters make for a lot of unknowns...if you don't know whether someone's good or bad, you'll probably be sitting through even the most "unnecessary" scenes wondering just what's around the corner (only intensified by that vignette-type structure). Is Jesse really just some crazy guy? And is he going to stab this guy, or hug him? Is Bobby really as awkward and out-there as he's often shown to be? There's a lot of grays in these people, so it's worth sitting through those scenes to try and get your senses about the characters on screen.

If you've seen the trailer for this movie, you probably noticed that it looks good. It does. You probably also noticed the really soft, dreamy focus in some shots, where the center is clear and the outer edges are all blurry. That shows up a lot...it evokes the faded and vignetted photos that one might think of when one thinks of the 1880s, which is cool, I guess. And it certainly makes for some really beautiful shots. But there's no rhyme or reason to when and why they switch to that style, since most of the film uses normal, crisp looking visuals, and whenever it did show up I found it more distracting than anything. I was taken out of the film because I was trying to make connections to the last shot to use it and figure out if it was supposed to be more than just a pretty face.

That aside, the film is technically outstanding. Again, very pretty. The score is wonderful (kinda reminded me of The Fountain for some reason...odd, since I'm not one for remembering musical scores beyond "I liked it" or "I didn't"). The sets and costumes and such are immaculate, and like any good period piece you'll probably find yourself paying a lot of attention to stuff in the background. And the acting is predictably awesome.

Brad Pitt kinda looks like Brad Pitt most of the time, but he really nails the character, in action and accent. Though he's one of the most dangerous men of the time, probably, you also really understand why people fall for him. He's funny, charismatic, kind. But he can also blow up and kill you. It's hard to forget either side, and even harder to make a judgment on who he "is." The rest of the support is fine, but the stand out is definitely Casey Affleck as Robert Ford. I really, really like this actor. (Also: check him out this weekend in Gone Baby Gone, directed by his brother Ben and the second best movie currently in theaters. Maybe third.) Here he's fantastic. His character's only about twenty and spent most of his childhood idolizing Jesse James. Now he gets to meet and hang out with him, and the way he reacts to it all is believable and admirable. His character, as I mentioned, is sort of weird..kind of a push over, meek little thing. He brags to his brothers when Jesse keeps him to help, but obviously eventually ends up shooting this man, his idol. The transformation to that point is subtle and I still don't know where exactly he went from one side to the other. It's a really, really good performance.

So anyway, yeah, check it out, if you're cool with 160 minutes in a theater where you will almost surely find yourself wishing for a quicker pace, a cut or two. If that doesn't sound appealing, I guess you can skip it, or wait for dvd and 2x the stuff that starts to drag.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:37 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Mmmmmmmm pretty

Actually extremely pretty and engrossing...........................curse you great cinematogrpahy dragging me in like an evil mistress!!

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:02 am
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

B

boring drivel saved by an outstanding last 30-45 minutes and great performances, especially Affleck.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:48 am
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

makeshift wrote:
The best way I could sum up the experience of Jesse James is it's like a modern day documentary about a 100 year old event built entirely around artful reenactments. Oh, and a complete and utter masterpiece.

I think this is what best describes the film. I was reminded by Zodiac in how both films give an almost unmatched sense that this really happened, so expertly detailed and intimate, something very hard to pull off for events that happened over a century ago.

So yeah, I pretty much loved this. I still need to figure out where it lands in my Top 10 list, but I'm pretty sure it's high.

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:07 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Boring, repetitive and vastly overrated.

Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next