Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Metropolis 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Metropolis 

Post Metropolis
Metropolis

Quote:
Metropolis is a 1927 German expressionist film in the science-fiction genre directed by Fritz Lang. Produced in Germany during a stable period of the Weimar Republic, Metropolis is set in a futuristic urban dystopia and makes use of this context to explore the social crisis between workers and owners inherent in capitalism. The film was produced in the Babelsberg Studios by Universum Film A.G. (UFA). The most expensive silent film ever made, it cost approximately 5 million Reichsmark, or approximately $200 million when adjusted for inflation.

Metropolis was cut substantially after its German premiere, and much footage was lost over the passage of successive decades. There have been several efforts to restore it, as well as discoveries of previously lost footage. A 2001 reconstruction of Metropolis, shown at the Berlin Film Festival, was inscribed on UNESCO’s Memory of the World Register in that same year. In 2008, a copy of the film 30 minutes longer than any other known surviving copy was located in Argentina. After a long period of restoration in Germany, the restored film was shown publicly for the first time simultaneously at Berlin and Frankfurt on February 12, 2010. The event of the Friedrichstadtpalast was shown live on a screen at the Brandenburg Gate as well as on TV on ARTE. This version was also shown in New York at the Ziegfeld Theater in the last two weeks of October 2010.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Post Re: Metropolis
A true visual masterpiece, and one of the most beautiful films ever made. A favorite of mine. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

An interesting product of the time. Got to love the obsession with size.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:09 pm
Squee

Saw this movie in... some class. Anyway, didn't like it. Don't like Silent Movies in general just way too overacted and hammy.

:glare:

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm
Kypade

I don't like this movie much either.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:54 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Writing off silent acting as hammy seems inaccurate. It was a completely different style. It had to be like that.

Although a few special ones managed to play in a style entirely modern and subtle. I'm thinking Greta Garbo, Louise Brooks, hell, even Buster "The Great Stoneface" Keaton. But that's only because their roles were mostly uniquely tailored to that.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:13 pm
Kypade

I don't think it's inaccurate to call silent acting hammy. Yeah, that's just how it was, it's history, it was a natural thing...but 80 yrs later, it is (by definition) "characterized by overacting; affectedly humorous or dramatic". It doesn't make today's style and "better" than that of the silent era, but I don't think you can really write off his criticism...some people just don't like that style.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:42 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Non-hammy acting would and could not have worked in silent film, a different artform and skillset entirely.

It's like criticizing Bob Dylan for not sounding like Beyonce.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:54 pm
Kypade

I think it'd be like saying "I don't like Bob Dylan because he doesn't sound like Beyonce." Which, to me, is pretty valid. "Bob Dylan is bad because..." or "Bob Dylan didn't know what he was doing because..." or "Bob Dylan's music doesn't mean anything because..." (etc, all ending in the not sounding like Beyonce thing) would be silly, because you're judging quality based on something superficial and subjective. But giving a subjective opinion based on something concrete doesn't seem wrong at all.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:13 pm
Squee

yoshue wrote:
Writing off silent acting as hammy seems inaccurate. It was a completely different style. It had to be like that.

Yes, and I don't like the style. What's the controversy?

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:17 pm
Squee

yoshue wrote:
Non-hammy acting would and could not have worked in silent film, a different artform and skillset entirely.

It's like criticizing Bob Dylan for not sounding like Beyonce.

I don't really like Bob Dylan either. Or Beyonce for that matter.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:20 pm
Squee

Yes. what Kypade said. Im not calling it a bad film, it's a completely different era. Obviously things were different then. I just don't like the style. I won't begrudge anyone putting Charlie Chaplin movies or Metropolis on one of them top 100 lists, though.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:22 pm
loyalfromlondon

Visually, it's a masterpiece, of course. I was stunned by the enormous size of the sets and the quality of visual effects used. In that regard, it looks at least 30 years ahead of its time. Story-wise, it doesn't quite measure up, but I feel that's because it's attempting to do too much - to be too ambitious - and I'd rather have that in a film than have it be simplistic and boring. Combined in this film are a political, ideological message, a sci-fi warning, an action thriller, and a typical romance, and sometimes the movie seems incoherent and silly. But it's an impressive accomplishment, and definitely worthy of the title of first science fiction film.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:23 pm
The Incredible Hulk

pretty much a masterpiece, except for that completely unnecessary tie-all-ends happy-flappy final scene, which made no sense given what preceded it, and was totally a slap in the face, essentially confirming the role of the mediator as a stabilising force for the current social order. get rid of those 3 or 4 minutes, and it becomes much more ambiguous, and a lot less...well, proto-nazi. how about ending at destruction as a mediator and equaliser? a bit cynical perhaps, but surely better than the alternative fascist shit. fuck it, i'll pretend the end never existed. *sigh*

anyway, the first silent film i've seen that really does justice to the reputation of the era.

94/100, A+

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:36 pm
Pure Phase

lol, I have watched the Giorgio Moroder version more times than the "original."

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]