Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 The Fly (1986) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Fly (1986) 
Where will you be?

Post The Fly (1986)
The Fly

Quote:
The Fly is a 1986 science fiction-horror film co-written and directed by David Cronenberg. Produced by 20th Century Fox and Mel Brooks, the film stars Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis, and John Getz. It is a remake of the 1958 film of the same name, but retains only the basic premise of a scientist accidentally merging with a housefly during a teleportation experiment. It is notable for the line, "Be afraid. Be very afraid." and some critics saw the film as a metaphor for the AIDS epidemic. The score was composed by Howard Shore and the make-up effects were created by Chris Walas, who won the Academy Award for Best Makeup.

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:35 pm
Where will you be?

Post Re: The Fly (1986)
It's not one of Cronenberg's best, but the three leads are all very solid, and thanks to it's Oscar-winning makeup effects it's one of the more disturbing films I've ever seen. Brundlefly's most insect-like form emerging is truly the stuff of nightmares.

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:39 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Very solid horror tragedy of sorts. Goldblum and Davis were good together. The movie is interesting and the effects are awesome, the ending is definitely somewhat sad and scary at the same time.

A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:28 pm
loyalfromlondon

I love the way that Cronenberg fuses the tragic romance with the sci-fi horror, in much the same way that Brundle is fused together with the housefly. Though it can make the film seem corny and melodramatic at times, it also adds an emotional layer to a genre so often lacking in one. It's not a typical mad scientist film - Brundle is not crazy, and his mishap is not a scientific mistake, but a mere turn of bad luck - and so it doesn't fall prey to the typical clichés of the form, but instead forges its own narrative path. That makes it highly unique and a refreshing change from the monster movies I'm used to, even if it contains many of the hallmarks.

Goldblum is really quite terrific, conveying many different emotions even while masked under layers of terrifying makeup. The way he can switch between drama and comedy, romance and tragedy without overacting is fantastic, and the fact that he manages to create a believable character at the same time is truly remarkable. It's a type of performance not usually seen in a film like this, and it's more than welcome. Both Davis and Getz are solid, but they simply pale in comparison. This is Goldblum's film.

In a similar way, the film also belongs to the amazing makeup effects. They're stunning and disgusting simultaneously, and yet add another layer of realism. Even the final transformation, while being even more revolting, manages to evoke sympathy in the audience, an amazing feat for a monster in a horror flick. Indeed, Brundle's story seemed more akin to the monster in Frankenstein than the doctor, though his character embodies aspects of the latter.

This is the best film I've seen by Cronenberg so far, and it's largely due the blended story, terrific lead performance, and fantastic visuals. It branches out from the typical mad scientist/monster movie into something more, a tragedy almost worthy of Shakespeare. Grounded by Goldblum's realistic performance, it does not simply show off the terrific effects, but instead uses them to enhance and perform the story. It's a rare treat in a horror film, and makes this one of the greatest in the genre, bar none.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:20 pm
Squee

This is a very good movie.

The only problem.

The hair... THE HAIR!!! Goldblum and Davis had the exact same haircut......

That was the most horrific part of this horror movie.

**** (A)

:glare:

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:27 pm
You must have big rats

A

A terrific horror movie that, as trixster has said, works on multiple levels (whereas its sequel is a pure, trashy gross-out gory horror flick that still mildly entertains).

The Fly by Cronenberg is a character movie as much as it is a horror movie. I loved the relationship between Goldblum's and Davis' character. Both delivered down-to-earth, realistic performances rather unusual for this type of a movie. The outcome of the whole thing is, of course, tragic and I simply can't help, but feel genuinely sorry for Brundle at the end when he point the barrel of the rifle to his head. A very sad moment. Moreover, John Getz did a very good job for what is usually a dislikeable character., turning him into a hero by the end of the thing.

Now the drama-espects aside, it's also one blast of a horror flick. The make-up artists very deservingly won the Oscar for this as Brundle's transformation to The Fly is portrayed perfectly, step-by-step. There are several really cringe-inducing scenes, but in a good, grossout way. Cronenberg certainly doesn't hold back on the violence and the gore here.

Overall, a great movie that really shouldn't be remade.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:28 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Is this the first great AIDS movie? Discuss.

Easily my favorite of the Cronenberg pictures.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:42 pm
loyalfromlondon

yoshue wrote:
Is this the first great AIDS movie? Discuss.

The Thing.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:02 am
Defeats all expectations

Great monster horror movie. Cronenberg's cut-to-the-chase directing brings no nonsense to the entire 96 min of the film. Not one second is wasted on any irrelevant subplot. Goldblum is the perfect fit for the unsociable, erratic genius he's playing.

A-

Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:36 pm
You must have big rats

You are absolutely right and therefore should remove the minus from your grade ;)

Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

GOLDBLUM

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:03 am
Gamaur's sex slave

A

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:20 pm
Defeats all expectations

Dr. Lecter wrote:
You are absolutely right and therefore should remove the minus from your grade ;)

The movie lacks any in-depth thoughts or does not make any lasting impression in the intellectual department. That's why the "-".

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:12 am
loyalfromlondon

ur a moron

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:48 pm
The Kramer

Well that was one hell of an ending.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:52 pm