Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Village 

What grade would you give this film?
A 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
C 27%  27%  [ 7 ]
D 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

The Village 
College Boy Z

Post The Village
The Village

Quote:
The Village is a 2004 American fantasy-thriller film written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan about a turn-of-the-20th-century village whose inhabitants live in fear of the creatures inhabiting the woods beyond it. The movie was shot in a recreation of a 19th-century village outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, following Shyamalan's penchant for staging his films near his hometown. The movie opened to reviews ranging from overall negative to mixed and was not as financially successful as some of Shyamalan's earlier movies, although it did gross over three times its budget. Despite this, the film gave composer James Newton Howard his fourth Academy Award nomination for Best Original Score.

It's a much better experience on the second viewing. The first viewing, I gave it a D+ because it was so dissapointing. But, after you know how the movie ends, and you watch it again, a lot of things that didn't make sense the first time fall into place. I'm still a little dissapointed though, but it wasn't horrible. The acting was excellent by all (except maybe Adrian Brody...). I think they revealed the twist a little too soon though, and it would have worked so much better at the end. Also, the twist is a little too "twisty" for it's own good.

C+

Last edited by zingy on Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:37 pm
We had our time together

One of my favorite 2004 movies. I loved Bryce Dallas Howard here. Phoenix, Hurt and Weaver were great too. Beautiful movie and easily Shymalans best in my opinion. A/A- (depends on second viewing)

Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

B

Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

My #2 of 2004 and my second favorite Shyamalan film (second only to Unbreakable). In terms of acting it is spectacular, with Bryce Dallas Howard being a standout. Sigourney Weaver, Joaquin Phoenix and Adrien Brody were also all quite good. The twist is a little too smart for its own good and could have been revealed a little bit better. 9.0/10 (A)

Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Veteran

My #2 of 2004 and my second favorite Shyamalan film (second only to Unbreakable). In terms of acting it is spectacular, with Bryce Dallas Howard being a standout. Sigourney Weaver, Joaquin Phoenix and Adrien Brody were also all quite good. The twist is a little too smart for its own good and could have been revealed a little bit better. 9.0/10 (A)

My favorite Shyamalan movie is Unbreakable also :smile:

Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
I always felt that The Village got a lot of undeserved negative WOM. People went in expecting an amazingly scary movie with creatures and killings and that is not what this movie was at all.
I will admit, that when i saw it i was slightly dissapointed, but that was because i went in expecting one thing and got something else. So i decided to see it a second time knowing what the movie was actually about as opposed to what the ads were trying to pass it off as.
The Village is a wonderfully made movie. From the all-star cast (i love Sigourney Weaver and i wish that there was more of her in the movie) to the amazing score and cinematography, it is beautiful.
Shyamalan has made another great movie (Signs is my favorite movie of his, then this is #2, then Unbreakable, and i didn't really like the Sixth Sense) and i look forward to his next.
I did not bother thinking about the twist because i don't like trying to figure twist endings or surprise endings because then that defeats the whole purpose of them. In fact, for people that haven't seen the movie and ask if they should and what the twist is i tell them that there isn't one.
Bryce Dallas Howard does a FANTASTIC job in her first role. As Ivy she is so astounding, that was a twist that i did not see coming.
I think that the most surprising thing that happened in the movie was the stabbing of Lucious. That was genius. He was the main character leading up to that, and then he was stabbed and in stepped Ivy as the "hero".
I remember the theater i was in gasped when Lucious looked down and saw the knife being pulled out of him, and then there was an even bigger gasp when Noah stabbed him again.
People really should see this movie and judge it on its own merits, not sit there and try and figure out the twist to what they thought was a horror movie.
A-

Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:54 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Best movie of 2004. Reached a level of emotion no other film last year could reach.

A+

Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

This is my 3rd favorite Shyamalan movie behind Signs and Sixth Sense.

i really enjoyed the movie, The twist was awsome!...i got to buy this movie!

B+

Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:42 pm
New Server, Same X

Count this as one of the movies I need to re-watch. I gave it a C, but I think I need to see it again. Bryce Dallas Howard was phenomenal in her role. Adrien Brody was not a favorite of mine in the film, so we'll leave it at that. I felt the on-camera presence, off-camera voice of Shyamalan was a little bit much at the end, but I think I should just watch this again, and see if my opinion changes.

Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:52 pm
Extraordinary

I haven't seen Signs but this is definatly a better film than The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. I enjoyed it a lot, very underrated. Bryce Dallas Howard is fantastic in this role.

- A-

Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:26 pm
You must have big rats

I'm a big fan of The Sixth Sense and I loved Signs. Unbreakable wasn't great, but I still though it was okay. This movie, however, I heavily disliked. Bryce Dallas Howard's performance was brilliant, but probably pretty much the only really good thing about the entire movie. The twist was horrible and the movie is the best example of false marketing ever.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I thought that the film got worse WOM than it deserved. I give it a B.

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

B- I thought it was slow and way too boring.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:27 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

I watched this a 2nd time and I loved it even more, fantastic film. I'm a little bit close to giving it a perfect A but I'll stick with my A-. The whole cast is excellent IMO. Yes... even Adrien Brody. I think he handled the character just fine. The only thing keeping me from giving it an A were the obvious flaws. I could care less about a "big twist" but I thought that other than Ivy, none of the other characters were fleshed out very well but maybe that was the purpose. I hope Bryce Dallas Howard gets to be in many more films in the next few years. :smile:

Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:17 am
Extraordinary

I won't comment on the predictability of the twist in the end, for that has been done to death. The problem many people have with this movie is that they always expect a knock-your-socks-off twist from M. Night to the exclusion of being able to appreciate anything else about his films. This film for the most part holds its own, both because of and in spite of the twist at the end.

Ultimately, this is not a horror film, mildly a suspense film, but mostly a drama about the extent to which people will go to protect those they love from the world outside and how, ultimately, such protection is hopeless and life must be lived. That is a message each of us grapples with whether explicitly or implicitly and one that's brought to beautiful life by Shyamalan.

Perfect cinematography and amazing score, as usual. One great cast, though they are very wasted, when you have such a great cast yet barely get any screentime it's pretty dissapointing. I'm giving this movie an 8/10, but its message is so pure and well-meaning that even without the twist it made me smile.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:24 am
now we know

Good movie. I liked it alot.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:45 am
Profile WWW
life begins now

I think I originally gave it a C+, but I might have to change that because it actually wasn't that bad. The twist was good; I mean, I wasn't expecting that, and the acting was alright. The new grade is a B.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:01 pm
Profile YIM
We had our time together

I'm surprised that nearly all of you liked the movie. Thought it would get much more hate.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:53 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I'm surprised that nearly all of you liked the movie. Thought it would get much more hate.

It got a lot of hate from the general public, and I'm not surprised. They saw it the way I saw in my first viewing. The problem is though, 99% of those who hated it would never give it a second try. I did. :razz: The twist was too smart and basically turned the movie in a whole other direction. Plus the fact that there was no horror. That's why it was hated.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:25 pm
Teh Mexican

Riggs wrote:

It got a lot of hate from the general public, and I'm not surprised. They saw it the way I saw in my first viewing. The problem is though, 99% of those who hated it would never give it a second try. I did. :razz: The twist was too smart and basically turned the movie in a whole other direction. Plus the fact that there was no horror. That's why it was hated.

the movie was never classified "horror"

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:35 pm
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:
Riggs wrote:

It was advertised as a horror movie. I remember seeing things like "The Scariest Movie of the year...".

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:36 pm
Teh Mexican

matatonio wrote:
Zingaling wrote:
Riggs wrote:

It was advertised as a horror movie. I remember seeing things like "The Scariest Movie of the year...".

really?!?!?! :-k hmmm, never saw that!

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?id=1808488393&d=hv&cf=info
http://movies.go.com/moviesdynamic/movies/movie?id=633300
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368447/
http://www.hollywood.com/movies/detail/movie/1731034

none of this site say is horror, but whatever, doesnt matter!..........but i did founded kinda scary :oops: just when the girl is inthe woods

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:42 pm
College Boy Z

The sites don't say horror, because they obviously know. People don't usually go on those sites, though. They false advertised that the movie would be scary, and when people go to a movie expecting scary things, that's what they want. However, I can't say that their plan to do that wasn't successful. $50 million weekend! :razz:

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:45 pm
Teh Mexican

The sites don't say horror, because they obviously know. People don't usually go on those sites, though. They false advertised that the movie would be scary, and when people go to a movie expecting scary things, that's what they want. However, I can't say that their plan to do that wasn't successful. $50 million weekend! :razz:

well yeah, it all went well for them! :smile:

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:48 pm
Golfaholic

50 good minutes but then it is all downhill. From the moment the secret is revealed the movie gets dumber with every second. Adrien Brody should be stripped of his Oscar for his retarded performance. Bryce Dallas Howard was wonderful and that's one of the few positive things I can find. The monster attack in the forest is soo stupid and the whole premise (keyword: "tHerapy group") is the dumbest thing I could have imagined. Shyamalan has totally lost it. He is good in creating atmosphere which is why the movie works in the beginning, but he quickly is out of ideas. (C)

Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next