Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Balls of Fury 

What grade would you give this film?
A 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
C 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
D 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Balls of Fury 

Post Balls of Fury
Balls of Fury

Quote:
Balls of Fury is a 2007 American sports comedy film starring Dan Fogler and Christopher Walken. It was directed by Ben Garant and was released on August 29, 2007.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Balls of Fury
Consistent in being midly funny, but never uproarious. I'll write more later, but outside of Christopher Walken, there's no reason to see this film in theaters. It'll make a decent rental.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I apologize for fufilling so many people's expectations, but Balls of Fury is yet another brilliant low comedy within the sub-genre of faux-sports-underdog movies.

This one is so freakin' good that I've got to stop using English to describe it, and switch to an entirely symbolic coded language:

"%(#*#^#&)($&(›‡‰·›‡‰ˇÁ›°¨Y*U#@©ß∂∑©ƒ∂¥∂ƒ©¨¥∂ƒ£˚´∂ƒ©ˆ¬¬ˆ¨ƒç©ƒ¬ˆ©£®¨"

The acting on the part of Maggie Q was revelatory. After her memorable blip in Die Hard 4 earlier this summer, she gets to really show her stuff this time! The main guy is good, like Black Jack, but less irritating. And actors like Christopher Walken, George Lopez (miraculously underplaying it, for the first time ever in his career), James Hong, Robert Patrick, and Jason Scott Lee round out the cast to create a fantastic old school B-movie vibe, that is amply supported by the retro settings and direction. The low rent Chinese language jokes are just too darn hilarious.

This is in fact so good, that it displaces the other great mid-summer's low comedy dream Hot Rod from my top ten, and immediately gains a lock position on my best of 2007 list!

17 out of 5.

(This is a future all-time comedy classic.)

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:27 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Are you the Big 10 or something? How can you have a top 10 list with 11 movies...

Does Christopher Walken have a big part? He and the old trainer guy look like the only "funny" characters.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:54 pm
On autopilot for the summer

hmm, some funny parts throughout that werent in the trailer, but not overly satisfying. You'll wish it was funnier. Its most likely with the lead, who if there was a better one perhaps would have given the film more power.

Walken is Walken, and the bit players in the film are great, especially Lennon and Patton Oswalt, and many of the others, but the main characters have too many jokes that fall flat.

C+/B- Not terrible, but more of a rental then a theater viewing.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:23 pm
---------

Yeah, basically what you expect here. Really nothing special. The ending is a bit slow sadly, with it trying to be too dramatic. The main guy is actually pretty funny, I think I enjoyed his character the most, followed by the German guy, the guy from Drew Carey, and BLAAAAZER (in his cameo appearance).

Grade: C+

Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:49 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

It was a decent laugh, nothing memorable, but it was fun while it lasted

B- grade.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

MG Casey wrote:
Yeah, basically what you expect here. Really nothing special. The ending is a bit slow sadly, with it trying to be too dramatic. The main guy is actually pretty funny, I think I enjoyed his character the most, followed by the German guy, the guy from Drew Carey, and BLAAAAZER (in his cameo appearance).

Your avatar winks!

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Corpse wrote:
MG Casey wrote:

Your avatar winks!

?? Pretty sure it's just a picture of me.

Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:21 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

MG Casey wrote:
Corpse wrote:
MG Casey wrote:

Your avatar winks!

?? Pretty sure it's just a picture of me.

Well, if it's a picture of you, you are still winking in it!

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

^ Holy crap, I never noticed that! :whaa:

Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:23 pm
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

For a ping pong movie there was surprisingly little actual ping pong being played. There really wasn't one good match shown the entire movie... just a couple points of one and they'd move onto something else.

It was mildly funny at times in the first half, but it really fall apart by the end. I never really liked the lead character (Fogler) either... he looked like he wanted to be the next Sam Kinison, but just never clicked. I also never bought that the semi hot Asian chick would fall for him, or why she did.

Christopher Walken was good (as always), as was that guy from Reno 911. It had potential to be a Dodgeball type movie and there was glimpses of what it could have been, but they really dropped the ball and in the end it was just a mess. D+

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:13 am
He didn't look busy?!

disposable as can be. Christopher Walken held my attention, that's about it.

C-

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Christopher Walken is the only star in this film. Has its fun parts at times where other parts are very boring. Plus, Maggie Q was hot in this.

B-

Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:27 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

TonyMontana wrote:
It had potential to be a Dodgeball type movie and there was glimpses of what it could have been, but they really dropped the ball and in the end it was just a mess. D+

:yes: Agreed. There were a few borderline great comedic moments, but all of the jokes were either great or flat for me. Most of them fell flat, and there just weren't enough jokes to begin with even if the jokes did work.

Thomas Lennon as the German player was definitely the best part of the movie. He looked like he was having fun and his his scenes were the only ones where I wasn't wondering how much time was left in the movie.

D+

Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:11 am
now we know

It's a mildly humouros movie, with one or two big laughs. It's just overly silly, I suppose. But I enjoyed my time watching it. It's time-wasting fun.

C-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]