Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 War 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
D 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

War 

Post War
War

Quote:
War is a 2007 American action thriller film, directed by Phillip G. Atwell who makes his film debut, with fight choreography by Corey Yuen. The film was released in North America on August 24, 2007 and stars action film actors Jet Li and Jason Statham, making their second collaboration after the 2001 film The One. Statham plays an FBI agent determined to take down a mysterious assassin known as Rogue (who is played by Li), after his partner is murdered.

War's working title was Rogue; it was changed to avoid conflict with another film with the same name. It was re-titled as Rogue Assassin in New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, Australia, the Philippines, and several European countries.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
problem?

Post Re: War
I <3 Jason Statham, so when some guy friends wanted to see War, I put up no fight. I now wish I had. Horrible, horrible movie. The action was crap, Jason probably gave the worst performance in a movie he ever has, and the story takes a turn for the retarded near the end. And wtf, how racist to Asian people. There wasn't a single Asian person in the movie that wasn't kung fu fighting like they've had 30 years of training. Did I mention the action was boring? Cause it was.

Imageout of ImageImageImageImageImage

Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:11 pm
College Boy Z

Did anyone notice that, well, they didn't really "fight?" Like, barely at all. This movie lacked action sequences, frankly (unless I fell asleep or something). Kinda disappointed.

C

Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:10 am
Sbil

So this movie apparently blows. I cannot say I'm shocked.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:25 am
On autopilot for the summer

From what I recall, this film was put off for a while, at least a year. It was filmed before Fearless and Crank I think.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:37 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

The ending was idiotic. There wasnt enough action in the movie at all, and the final action scene sucked.

A forgettable movie.

Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
problem?

I don't even remember seeing this movie.

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:08 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

I was actually anticipating this movie, but wow was I dissapointed. The movie was just average and not even that entertaining but the ending was easily one of the worst of all time.

D+

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:21 pm
now we know

I don't remember it being this bad. Then again, I don't remember it much at all, perhaps that was why. The action and fight scenes were lazily edited and quite frankly boring. Statham had a terribly generic script to work with, and Jet Li was almost a supporting character. It's a real wasted opportunity for the big showdown between Jet Li and Jason Statham. It's another chapter in the Americans trying to make a half-decent Yakuza vs. Triad/Japanese action movie and failing.

And what's wrong with Devon Aoki in this? Her face is really wonky and fat. Looks very odd. I watched this also because of Sung Kang, to see what he's like in preparation for when I watch Bullet to the Head, but he's useless here. Luis Guzman is also wasted. He gives his best performances when he's allowed a certain humour, but here he plays it fairly seriously. The editing in War is just really, really bad. It shows us nothing. There was a lack of fights too; lots of hard talk and chases, but nothing really that would be classed as a worthwhile fight. And I don't understand the decision to turn Rogue, this feared and ruthless killer, into a caring killer (when he saves the mum and daughter). They should have left it as Tom Lone dying instead of trying to be unique and having him faked his own death. Weird and stupid plot reveal. It dilutes his character, and makes the whole premise of the movie (Statham vs. Li) non-existent. So instead, they tacked on that Statham was actually working for the Yakuza all along, which makes no sense whatsoever because all the way through the film he's shown no sign of being a villain. He shot Yakuza at the Teahouse and he's been such a nobel cop throughout.

Of the four Statham/Li match-ups, this has got to be the worst. The Expendables and its sequel are obviously the best, and The One is pretty watchable. But this stinks.

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:18 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Say it again.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]