Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Wild Bunch 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Wild Bunch 

Post The Wild Bunch
The Wild Bunch

Quote:
The Wild Bunch is a 1969 American Western film directed by Sam Peckinpah about an aging outlaw gang on the Texas-Mexico border, trying to exist in the changing "modern" world of 1913. The film was controversial because of its graphic violence and its portrayal of crude men attempting to survive by any available means.

It stars William Holden, Robert Ryan, Ernest Borgnine, Ben Johnson and Warren Oates. The screenplay was by Peckinpah and Walon Green.

The Wild Bunch is noted for intricate, multi-angle editing, using normal and slow motion images, a revolutionary cinema technique in 1969. The writing of Green, Peckinpah, and Roy N. Sickner was nominated for a best-screenplay Academy Award; Jerry Fielding's music was nominated for Best Original Score; Peckinpah was nominated for an Outstanding Directorial Achievement award by the Directors Guild of America; and cinematographer Lucien Ballard won the National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Cinematography.

In 1999, the U.S. National Film Registry selected it for preservation in the Library of Congress as culturally, historically, and aesthetically significant. The film was ranked 80th in the American Film Institute's 100 best American films, and the 69th most thrilling film. In 2008, the AFI revealed its "10 Top 10" of the best ten films in ten genres: The Wild Bunch ranked as the sixth-best western.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: The Wild Bunch
Peckinpah's best? I think So.

Best Ending sequence ever? Pretty Close.

This film lives down in the dirty like its main players, its a ugly and yet fasinating affair, and like all Peckinpah unashamedly violent. Likely the best Western I've see outside of The Good The Bad and the Ugly

Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:05 pm
Where will you be?

Peckinpah displays a real eye for squib-laden action. The rest of the movie is pretty sterling too. As Gulli said, the ending is truly inspired. That's fitting - the film is one big summation of the final years of the Wild West. What better way to find closure then for the surviving characters to go off and fight the last fight, the Mexican Revolution?

Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:54 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Even more than the ending I like the beginning. - 10/10.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:01 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

The death of the West, as bloody and gruesome and grim as it was. The violence is truly remarkable, and I'll admit to being more titillated than disgusted, but when it's pulled off with this amount of skill, does it really matter? Peckinpah shoots gunfights like no other director I've seen.

It's not as elegiac or mournful as Ride the High Country (not nearly), but I think it's an even better sign off for the classic Western. At the very least, it's supremely more enjoyable.

And Argos is right, the beginning is even better than the ending. From those brilliant opening credits to the slow-burn build-up to the magnificent shoot-out, it's a truly memorable and incredible sequence. Not to say the ending isn't brilliant, too, but...

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:40 pm
now we know

I'm downloading this now. Peckinpah has intrigued me with Straw Dogs (which I watched years ago) and so I am catching up on his other movies too. The Getaway is next. I've just got around to them.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:30 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Long, boring and unexciting. Badly filmed action, awfully macho dialogue (so macho it's silly). Not nearly as good as a movie filmed 3, 4 and 5 years prior; The Good The Bad and the Ugly, For a Few Dollars More and A Fistful of Dollars. The gunfights and battles are incoherent messes with bad editing. The group breaks out into laughter at the most unfunny things. It's very strange, and this goes on and on until fade out.

Peckinpah pales to Leone. The violence is unremarkable and sporadic. It does have a good ending, though, and the "manliness" of the group is something missing from most of today's films.

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]