Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 The Kingdom 

What grade would you give this film?
A 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
B 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

The Kingdom 

Post The Kingdom
The Kingdom

Quote:
The Kingdom is a 2007 film directed by Peter Berg and starring Jamie Foxx, Chris Cooper, Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, Ashraf Barhom, with Kyle Chandler, Jeremy Piven and Ali Suliman.

The film is fictional, but inspired by bombings at the Riyadh compound on May 12, 2003 and the Khobar housing complex on June 26, 1996, in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The story follows a team of FBI agents who investigate the bombing of a foreign-workers facility in Saudi Arabia. Screenwriter Matthew Michael Carnahan has summarised the plot as "What would a murder investigation look like on Mars?”

The film was screened at the Edinburgh International Film Festival as its yearly 'Surprise Movie' on 22 August 2007.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:34 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: The Kingdom
The Kingdom is exhilirating and at times powerful. Some of it comes across as heavy-handed, but the parallels made between America and the Middle East are well-done (the last scene of the film is extremely effective at this). The violence is very brutal and not for the squeamish, and it feels like director Peter Berg filmed it without an intention of exploitation, but many viewers will still be obnoxious and "cheer" at the violence against the Muslims in the film, as some in my audience did. The actors (Jamie Foxx, Chris Cooper, Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman) are all solid, although The Kingdom isn't really an actors' piece and doesn't give them a whole lot to say. For instance, Garner gets an absolutely kickass action scene near the end of the movie, but probably doesn't say more than 40-50 lines the entire film. Overall, it was a very solid, timely picture that will likely resonate strongly with viewers. B+

Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:01 am
Where will you be?

My review from July: An awkward combination of CSI: Saudi Arabia and an ultraviolent action film, The Kingdom is confidently made but loses it's credibility as the action grows increasingly unrealistic. The four leads all have chemistry with one another, but the only character with any bit of real depth is the Saudi police chief helping them. Jamie Foxx is solid, but he's the heart of the film. I often have problems with how little of films are left to the imagination when it comes to studio marketing, and The Kingdom suffers worse than most films thanks to three trailers already having been released, the latter two of which have shown off a major plot point that only occurs during the last portion of the film. Many will probably be surprised at how little action there is for the first three quarters, only to be shocked at how violent and ludicrous the action scenes towards the end were. Ears are bitten off, heads are impaled, and of course the few Americans can hold off hordes of extras. Peter Berg stages these sequences with bravado, but it's hard to understand why he would have made so much of the procedural drama build up only to piss it all into the wind. The tacked on morale question mark shows that Berg's intentions were to make an intelligent political thriller, but even if it hadn't turned into a gung-ho Bruckheimer film it would've suffered from a lack of depth in what is a very difficult subject. That's not to say that The Kingdom isn't diverting enough, and what with the sky high ratings of shows like CSI I'm sure many on here will give it high marks for it's strong technical marks and generous helpings of carnage. But don't expect any sort of awards consideration for The Kingdom, and certainly don't expect anything out of the ordinary.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:50 pm
Devil's Advocate

Whoa. I felt like walking out halfway through, just a horrible horrible movie. Unwatchable, boring. One of the worst films of the year?

The first 3/4s of the film pretty much go nowhere. FBI team goes to Saudi Arabia to investigate a bombing, they hang around for an hour and a half and look at random parts of the crime scene and nearby city. Some angry Saudis hit each other. The characters have dialogues with each other to pass the time, except the screenplay is awful and dialogues aren't intriguing in the slightest. Again, the biggest problem with all of this is that its simply boring as all hell.

Then comes the climax, oh boy. The FBI team is on its way out of the city, having caved in without finding the evil boss bomb maker, they give up. The Saudis attack them and blow up their car because you know, muslims are evil. They take a member of the crew to make a beheading video, oops, here come the agents. Hey, guess who lives upstairs who the terrorists randomly led them to... The bomb maker! Well that's convienient. Maybe we should've let the FBI leave instead of attacking them and leading them straight to our headquarters. Or maybe we should've made a video in someplace that isn't the boss's house. Nah. Worst terrorists ever!

And yeah, it's pretty funny how 3 Americans kill probably 50 Saudis without getting hit once. Also, the boy that comes in with the gun, you'd think he'd shoot Foxx before a man of his own race (Frankly I think it would've been much more surprising and daring if he came into the room with a grenade in his hand, kaboom. Show the we all kill each other line. End of film. But that's just a pipe dream, they would never kill the heroes like that.)

Then comes the characters and dialogue... totally flat, boring, bland. Did we even get Jennifer Garner's name? I don't know why she was in the film, she didn't do anything at all except walk around scared, get told she's not allowed to come to a party, take a look at a fingerprint sample, and beat a guy up. No, really, that's all she does. Libs, I think 40-50 lines is giving way too much credit, it felt like she had about half of that. And every sentence had "fuck" in it for some reason, felt totally forced.

For for that matter, I don't know why Cooper or Batemen are in this either, they just kind of tagged around and looked at the crime scene. The entire crew were horrible at pulling off "governmental agent"... Batemen looked like a frat boy on a tour, Garner a scared little schoolgirl, Cooper a goofy southerner. They didn't have professionalism, at all, and they didn't fit into their roles whatsoever because of that. Finally, I'm hesitant to call those 3 characters whatsoever, they had NOTHING to them, no development, no traits, they were just stick figures walking around. Boring, in other words.

Foxx is by far the lead, but the character is still terribly bland. Though, they tried with the cliched son plot background. I love how they attempted to compensate for having everyone so one-noted in the film, by making the characters comfort kids at random points in the story. It's the oldest trick in the book, just make some kids cry, that'll bring up the emotion in them! Seriously, way way too many kids in this movie, it was overkill. Similarly, the Saudi policemen, let's have him go home and tuck in his old dad in bed, that'll get em. I'd call it manipulation if they actually succeeded in any manipulating. How about actually creating characters? Having them say nice things to a kid in a scene is not the same thing as depth.

Part of the problem with the 4 American leads by the way is the performances and delivery themselves, it just doesn't work. Jamie Foxx winning an Oscar, how that happened, I don't know. Has he gaven a performance that isn't shit and totally bland since his win? Even in Dreamgirls, he was just kind of there.

Apart from all that, Berg is totally mixed up on what movie he wants to make. Is it a political and socially aware statement film? Is it a crime scene procedural? Is it a ridiculous blow em up action movie? Not only does he fail at putting all three together smoothly, he doesn't put the three parts together at all. The first act is political. The second act is crime scene investigation. The third is action. Finally, the film ends on a line that tries to make a statement about humans and war that seems ambitious, but comes off like a sledgehammer to the face.

But again, the biggest sin the movie makes, or that a movie can make period, is that it's flat out BORING. Boring characters, boring screenplay, boring plot, it's a chore to watch. I felt like walking out, and that never happens to me... I had no interest in the characters or the story or anything in between. Even the action sequence third act, the ridiculousness of it all just puts a damper on it, and the scenes aren't particularily well shot. Just people shooting each other and things blowing up. No suspense.

I think I might put this as my worst film of the year ahead of Ghost Rider if only for the fact that it was my least enjoyable viewing this year, just bored to tears and then some.

F

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:10 am
Devil's Advocate

Ah, I even hate my review for this movie. I thought it'd be refreshing to crap on a film again, it's been a summer full of As, thought I was getting soft... Wasn't as fun as I wanted, the movie is too bland and trite. It's trite-ness has no bounds.

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:25 am
Forum General

C+

It was like TF....

It was amazing on the surface but once you looked deep in to a film, you realized how stupid and silly it was.

Man i haven't love a film this year yet...
I have been spending most of this year catching up on the classics...

Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I hate to use that CSI comparison every critic on earth seems to be using, but that's exactly what it was. That's not good enough for me though. I was at least expecting to care a little bit about these characters, and by the end of the film, I just didn't care about any of them. It's not the actors faults though. All five give extremely solid performances. I just feel that every character seemed to be underwritten. And what shocked me even more, was that the filmmakers had the time to expand upon the relationships. I was shocked when I looked at my watch, and saw that the film was just barely over 103 minutes. If they had played up the Fleury/Faris relationship, I would've liked the film more, but there was only one scene where the two really got to know one another and that's just not good enough.

So despite the fact that I thought it was decent, and the acting was very good along with the CSI like things, I can't really recommend the film because I didn't care about any of the characters.

C+

Just another quick complaint. What's with Elfman making the musical score almost identical to Friday Night Lights? It doesn't help that towards the middle of the film, Berg chose to shoot some scenes in the exact same manner he did with FNL, but the music just made it seem like we were watching FNL again, and that's not even close to what the audience should be thinking.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

awesome fuckin movie

A-

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:25 pm
Where will you be?

Jmart007 wrote:
Just another quick complaint. What's with Elfman making the musical score almost identical to Friday Night Lights? It doesn't help that towards the middle of the film, Berg chose to shoot some scenes in the exact same manner he did with FNL, but the music just made it seem like we were watching FNL again, and that's not even close to what the audience should be thinking.

I can respect Berg loving Explosions in the Sky just as much as me, but even though I'd probably want a song or two of theirs in all my movies too doesn't mean I'd actually do it.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:36 pm
Where will you be?

Shack wrote:
Ah, I even hate my review for this movie. I thought it'd be refreshing to crap on a film again, it's been a summer full of As, thought I was getting soft... Wasn't as fun as I wanted, the movie is too bland and trite. It's trite-ness has no bounds.

Y'know dude, maybe you hated your review because you were trying a bit too hard to bash it. I've been putting the film down since July but honestly bro, it sounds like you were having a really shitty week and took out all your frustration on the keyboard. Had you not slept for a few nights before you saw this? Maybe Jamie Foxx raped a member of your family? Or maybe like you said you were trying to make up for all the kind grades you've given films this year (and if so don't sweat it, it'd hardly be the first time this has happened :wink: ).
Whatever the case the film is hardly an out and out failure. The script may not know exactly what it wants to be, but you can't deny that Berg's direction is quite solid. The guy knows how to frame a scene, and is right up there with Greengrass and Mann for pulling some beautiful takes out of the "shaky cam" cinematography. This was never supposed to be a character heavy film, I think the chemistry the leads had with one another somewhat made up for the lack of personal motivations and desires they had beyond the bombing.

I could go on, but re-read your rant man, and it really does sound like you're venting about some other issues altogether. The Kingdom may be a flawed movie, but it's not flat out boring nor does it incite so many reasons to shake your fists into the air and scream bloody murder. I've had plenty of bad movie experiences due to personal bullshit, and this reads exactly like that to me. Give it some time, maybe rent it again when it comes out, and I bet your letter grade goes up at a letter and a half. :thumbsup:

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:24 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

The following is a fly on the wall transcript from the script room of The Kingdom.

Disclaimer: I loves Peter Berg, FNL was awesomely lovely and great!! However I needs Berg to be the mouthpiece for my feelings.

Script Writer 1: The story is coming along nicely
Script Writer 2: Yes, we have a chilling opening and some nice build-up play...............how far are we again?
Script Writer 1: To that bit where Foxx asks the prince for more freedom................how do you think we should proceed?
Script Writer 2: Lets have Jennifer Garner come in with her Electra outfit and seduce the Prince to obtain a whole Saudi armoured division to flatten Riyadh
Script Writer 1: Thats fucking stupid, we've set up a thoughful film here don't blow it on lunacy
Script Writer 2: Good Point

Berg enters on a throne of Gold carried by Glistening Man-Slaves!!!

Berg: I am Berg bow to me!!
Script Writers: Fuck Off
Berg's brow furrows but he continues............: Show me how far you are on this script.
Berg is shown script...........: Whats the 3rd act plan?
Script Writer 2: Well we think we should keep with the low-fi style of whats gone before, and maybe have a vague ending and keep silly shoot-out to a mimimum
Berg: Thats Crazy............................look I've already draw up these kick ass posters with the team carrying guns...................and this action packed trailer!!
Script Writer 1: How the fuck did you make that trailer we haven't even finished the script yet?............and why did
Berg: SILENCE, Berg works in mysterious ways. (Whips out papers) This is the last act I want
Script Writer 1: Are you kidding me!! Four FBI agents drive straight into a urban hellspot and decimate there enemies without losing a single man..................AND THE ENEMY IS IN AN ELEVATED POISTION!!
Script Writer 2: Yeah this makes no sense.......................(gets to part where terrorist mastermind is found) WHAT THE FUCK!!
Script Writer 1: Boss we writers love our convenient endings, but this is nutty...................and you have the cliched single foreign good guy death scene!!
Script Writer 2: Oh man im getting drunk now!
Berg: No drinking, writing!!

And so the great cavalcade of The Kingdom rolls on, with the odd postscript of somebody sneaking in afterwards and adding two last lines (well one repeated) which belongs in a much more profound film.

Is this film an F? Nope its quite competant and frequently interesting, and I actually enjoyed the Explosions in the Sky style interlude music. But hey!! Writing this was more fun : )

C

Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:05 pm
On autopilot for the summer

A- for me. I wouldnt take it so much as a factual film, if you take it for realistic fiction its a pretty entertaining.

Great acting, cinematography was trying to be a little too real at points, but the story is good then falls into a great fight at the end that is gripping and intense. I'll admit I was expecting a little more in that part, thinking perhaps at least one American would be hurt, Bateman was deeply underused though. Just try and enjoy it for what it is, not an award winning but certainly not a bad film.

B+/A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:18 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

C+

Great acting. Poor script.

Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:37 am
No Wire Tampons!

Strong B

In terms of my favourite actresses folio, this is the best project she's had so far. Her strongest performance in her career was of course Alias, followed by 13 Going on 30, but in this she shows promise as an actress with deeper capacity that I was aware she had but i believe mainstream audiences doubted. As Janet Mayes she is tough, sharp and real, and she has the best scene in the entire movie. But her role is not central to this films success, although anything with Jennifer Garner in it is instantly 100x likely to be better for it.

The film itself was quite amazing. Excellent action and incredible performances all round. It was a little slow at times but pacing aside this film was realistic, thought provoking and whilst never particularly deep or meaningful on an emotional level, it did touch on some issues that generally dont get the attention they deserve.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Michael. wrote:
Strong B

In terms of my favourite actresses folio, this is the best project she's had so far. Her strongest performance in her career was of course Alias, followed by 13 Going on 30, but in this she shows promise as an actress with deeper capacity that I was aware she had but i believe mainstream audiences doubted. As Janet Mayes she is tough, sharp and real, and she has the best scene in the entire movie. But her role is not central to this films success, although anything with Jennifer Garner in it is instantly 100x likely to be better for it.

The film itself was quite amazing. Excellent action and incredible performances all round. It was a little slow at times but pacing aside this film was realistic, thought provoking and whilst never particularly deep or meaningful on an emotional level, it did touch on some issues that generally dont get the attention they deserve.

Heh no surprise here, though to be fair I'm always very kind to movies starring people I'm crazy about, and your love for Jennifer Garner eclipses any interest I've ever had in an actor. But I'm curious, what issues did the film touch on that don't get enough attention in the media?

Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:30 am
College Boy Z

A powerful film that doesn't hold back in terms of action either. The actions scenes are fantastic, the performances are great (Jamie Foxx seriously takes care of business in this film), and the story itself is strong. I didn't find it disappointing at all.

B+

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:06 pm
No Wire Tampons!

MovieDude wrote:
Michael. wrote:
Strong B

Heh no surprise here, though to be fair I'm always very kind to movies starring people I'm crazy about, and your love for Jennifer Garner eclipses any interest I've ever had in an actor. But I'm curious, what issues did the film touch on that don't get enough attention in the media?

the way oil controls power between america and the middle east and motivates action is largely ignored when its the central core reason for nearly every interaction between the reigons.

also the other perspective from the terrorists side - the motives behind the attacks are never given, but we get to see how they are the same as us in many ways in terms of the way they work, the FBI agents in the film are driven by a fanatical urge to avenge and protect, whilst the terrorists are driven by a fanatical urge to destroy and martyr. They both have similarly devestating effects.

I think the movie did a great job at showing the reality of situations we dont get to see. We just hear about bombings etc every day now, but seeing the reality of what that would look like, and the effect on families and friends i think was well done and an important part of why this movie was pretty powerful. I know the people i went with are going back for a repeat view this week.

People who say "it was silly how they didnt even get shot once!" are not being sensible. This is a hollywood film, there are conventions in place here every major actioner has. Its clearly a stab at the genre of action rather than the movie itself. i dont understand that. The kingdom isnt a top 50 all time movie for me or anything. But it was excellent and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

edit

totally changed my mind on the film

Last edited by Riggs on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:10 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Very, very underrated. The action sequences are phenomenal and the story is both interesting, thrilling and compelling. The final thirty minutes are especially great, and the ending is incredibly effective.

A-

Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:40 am
Profile YIM
Child Actor

Mannyisthebest wrote:
C+

It was like TF....

It was amazing on the surface but once you looked deep in to a film, you realized how stupid and silly it was.

Man i haven't love a film this year yet...
I have been spending most of this year catching up on the classics...

you're sig speaks volumes about your classy trend.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:59 am
ef star star kay

As someone who is a Muslim, and happened to live in an Arab country (not Saudi, though) for a quite long time (5 years).

I'm glad to say; 'The Kingdom' is not as bad as I expected. Actually, it's very good.

The action is great. Although, I don't think I would describe it -the action part- with the word 'awesome'.

But it's great. Confused?

Let me put it this way; the action in films like Bourne (Die Hard, M:I etc.) is awesome. But in 'The Kingdom', none of its action sequences left me that kind of feeling, the 'awe' feeling. It's more of frustration and pressure. And that's a good thing. It's almost like we're watching the real thing there on the screen, and those are people, humans like us who are dying and getting hurt. The opening sequence is really painful to watch. Even in the final action sequence with the amount of gunshots not less than in Die Hard 4, it still didn't feel the same.

Once I thought about how would it be if these action sequences were done carelessly. Of course, due to the subject and the right-now situation, no one would dare and made movie about this to be some kind of 'awesome-ness enjoyable action flick'. It's not something to watch with joy and 'wow' feeling. But that doesn't mean anyone would be capable to pull off a job. But Peter Berg could and he did.

(Or maybe I get the word 'awesome' wrong in the first place, but every time someone says 'awesome', it always comes with the feeling of 'Oh wow!'.. and watching bomb took place of the crowd or witness people got shot.. is not something to 'wow' about)

I'm not Arab (I just live here, see my user name for more information). So, I don't know how correct my following words would be (but I think I live here long enough to say). I think the film got many things right. Many little details were 'spot on'. How incapable the Saudi police men were (maybe not 'incapable' but rather want to leave the sh!t alone). And the scene when the prince asked if the FBI team want him to arrange some kind of 'Safari trip'. Ha! that's so priceless. Pathetic but true.

I've heard many people say; this movie is nothing but another movie with American being hero. I don't think they have seen the film (or saw it but with extremely biased thought). What this movie has done with the image of FBI is more like a satire of the cliche' image of America that has been seen in most movies. The scene near the ending in a plane reveals this intention of this film. When we get to see through the eyes of each members of FBI team. Apparently, they didn't feel like they won or anything. Instead, it's nothing. It felt so empty inside them.

The scene about how FBI team liked to say the 'F' word is one of the 'rather hilarious' scenes in this movie. Another scene to weigh out my point about how I think this movie is more like a satire to the cliche' image of American heroes.

The Arab side was very well-done. Both of the two Saudi police men and Abu Hamzah's part. Otherwise, I wouldn't be so touched with the scene at the end when Jamie Fox's character speaks to Faris's son. I'm pretty sure both characters were added to balance the Arab part. Cheesy? Cliche? I don't know. But I liked it this way. Don't judge something from a part of it.

Even Abu Hamzah and his organization. IMHO, it was respectfully done. I never felt that the film tries to portray them as bad guys, honestly. Like someone has mention; despite that the motives behind the attacks were never given, but we get to see how they are the same as FBI team in many ways in terms of the way they work. They are a group of people who try to resolve what THEY think it's wrong in the way which THEY think it should be. This is how I feel for the way this film tried to portray them, and this is what they really are. And if some of them watch this movie, I don't think anyone would be offended (but yes, I might be wrong).

The actors, all did really solid jobs. I've also heard some complaints about what is it about Jennifer Garner's characters. Well, IMO, I don't think her character was such a waste at all. Actually, her character, Janet Mayes, is like reflection to woman's status in Arab's tradition which once again, was respectfully done. It's so easy to play with this issue and fail with the offensive result. But this movie did not.

But I have to admit, while watching the film, I was thinking about what is the point of making this movie in situation in these days. Sure, it didn't offend anyone (not from my point of view, at least), but it didn't help anything either. Do we really need this film?

Fortunately, the filmmakers know this. And the point is right at the final scene when Ronald Fleury (Fox's character) was asked about what he told Janet (Garner) to calm her down. When the film reveals that his answer was the same one what Abu Hamzah told his grandson; we're gonna kill them all. It's shocking. Eventually, it comes to the truth; when each sides comes with the hatred. And when devastation and lost of innocence souls are the result...

No side is better than the other.

**** out of ***** (A-)

It's kind of odd (I don't know, maybe not) how some movies (like this one) I walked in with full biased point of view and already judged it to be a pro-American movie, but it turned out to be 'not at all'. And how some movies I walked in fully expected it to -for once- give a fair image of Muslim, but it disappointed me. A picture of those guys praying at dawn before getting on the plane in an universally acclaimed 'United 93' is nothing short of a slap to our faces saying; 'You did it, I know you bastard or one of your people did it' (when actually no one knows). It might not be intended that way, but to be honestly frank, I did feel that way (Ok, I'm confused what film I'm writing about now :D ).

Whoo! never wrote anything in English this long!! :lol:

(actually, I was going to post my long comment -I wouldn't dare call it a review- many times.. but then when it's the time to press the button 'Submit'.. I was like.. are you sure? that you did not post something people will laugh about -not in content, but in grammar, word and stuffs- then me, answering myself 'I think there are some mistakes.. don't post it!' and I didn't :oops: )

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:29 pm
ef star star kay

My friend read my above (long) comment..

he says 'you're reading this film way too deep'

am I?? :ninja:

what I'm trying to say is I know this movie is supposed to be taken as action flick.. and it delivered..

and it did not just the action..

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:51 pm
loyalfromlondon

So sue me, I enjoyed it. I thought the over-the-top action climax worked better than it should have, even if it's completely illogical in both a narrative or thematic sense. It's pretty exhilarating, even if it succumbs to way too many clichés. As expected, the one foreigner lead among the Hollywood stars gives the best performance, but none of the movie stars are really terrible, just not overly memorable. The direction and style is impressive, the story is fairly interesting, and the action feels pretty restrained until that shoot 'em up climax. It's not a great film, but it is a fairly exciting one, and it seems smarter than most of the action films we're getting these days.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:29 pm
He didn't look busy?!

considering there's a lot of talking and a very serious ending, it's quite an unpolitical film. But it's entertaining enough, even if the action goes a little overboard at the end.

B-

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]