Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 No Reservations 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

No Reservations 

Post No Reservations
No Reservations

Quote:
No Reservations is a 2007 American romantic drama film directed by Scott Hicks. The screenplay by Carol Fuchs is an adaptation of an original script by Sandra Nettelbeck, which served as the basis for the 2001 German film Mostly Martha.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:44 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

What an absolutely adorable, irresistible movie! Never in a million years would I expect to like this film as much as I did. The whole cast does a great job but a big kudos to Catherine Zeta Jones. She took an average, ordinary character and turned it into something more. Her performance was marvelous and shocked the hell out of me. I don't have many bad things to say about the film, except that it does have it's cliche moments (most of which, are featured in the trailer) and the score, which would have been good if you were just listening to it on a CD player, came off as melodramatic throughout the course of the film. I can't recommend this enough. It's definitely one of the big surprises of 2007. It's a wonderful little film that pulls at your heartstrings and honestly, I smiled the whole way through.

8/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

Post Re: No Reservations
No Reservations is fairly cliched and unoriginal (which should probably be expected for a remake), but it's a warm, appealing concoction. Catherine Zeta-Jones is impressive, bringing depth and humanity to a character that could have easily come across as a one-dimensional shrew in the hands of a lesser actress. Aaron Eckhart (who is building a solid resume) and Abigail Breslin are also very good, with Eckhart being consistently charming and Breslin having no trouble with her arc. It won't linger in your memory long, but it's a solid picture overall. B

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:56 pm
Extraordinary

I can't find even a tiny bit of motivation inside of me to see this movie right now, even though there's an outside chance I'd like it... Oh well, maybe when I'm desperate in early September...

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:26 pm
Pure Phase

I'd give this an A-. It was a huge surprise. Yes, there are a handful of corny lines, but overall it's extremely well-made and almost has an arthouse feel. Everyone was good in the cast, but Catherine Zeta-Jones was the standout. This is her best performance since Traffic.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:55 pm

My girlfriend really liked this film. Then again she likes any film that is what they could call a chick flick, except Knocked Up.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:22 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

B-

It was cute. It would of been better if the film concentrated a bit more on Kate and her struggles. The romance felt awkward. Very cliche but I enjoyed it anyway.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:35 am
All Star Poster

I wanted more cheese! He could've stolen her recipe or something... It was an okay movie, but I went into it expecting more cheesiness and didn't get it.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:44 am
Profile WWW

getluv wrote:
B-

It was cute. It would of been better if the film concentrated a bit more on Kate and her struggles. The romance felt awkward. Very cliche but I enjoyed it anyway.

Getluv, you have stated you like chick flicks right? Random question, it just bubbled to my brain for some reason, but what is your opinion on The Notebook?

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:05 am
Extraordinary

Well due to a number of circumstances within and outside of my control, I ended up seeing No Reservations after all, tonight.

And darned if it isn't the loveliest little bit of melodramatic implausability ya ever did happen to see...

I shoulda known that Michael Douglas, though not an official producer on this film, woulda never let his beautiful talented, young wife suffer through unworthy material - - they bought the best from Germany and hand-tailored it to fit Catherine Zeta like a magenta leather bodysuit...

Super pro's Eckhart and Breslin provide support for her brittle showcase portrayal of another unconsciously damaged professional. The food and the story are mere set pieces framing her unravelling...

Yup - - it's really quite good. (What's bad is the frakin' marketing! It really made me not want to see this. They really didn't sell the true product in this case, and wadda they got to hide? Nothing. It's a perfectly good little romantic tear-jerker.)

6 out of 5.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:38 am

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
getluv wrote:
B-

Getluv, you have stated you like chick flicks right? Random question, it just bubbled to my brain for some reason, but what is your opinion on The Notebook?

C - average. i know. thats pretty bad.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:32 am
Teenage Dream

Average. C+

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:02 am

getting-luv wrote:
getluv wrote:
B-

What chick flicks do you like?

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:31 pm
Forum General

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Well due to a number of circumstances within and outside of my control, I ended up seeing No Reservations after all, tonight.

And darned if it isn't the loveliest little bit of melodramatic implausability ya ever did happen to see...

I shoulda known that Michael Douglas, though not an official producer on this film, woulda never let his beautiful talented, young wife suffer through unworthy material - - they bought the best from Germany and hand-tailored it to fit Catherine Zeta like a magenta leather bodysuit...

Super pro's Eckhart and Breslin provide support for her brittle showcase portrayal of another unconsciously damaged professional. The food and the story are mere set pieces framing her unravelling...

Yup - - it's really quite good. (What's bad is the frakin' marketing! It really made me not want to see this. They really didn't sell the true product in this case, and wadda they got to hide? Nothing. It's a perfectly good little romantic tear-jerker.)

6 out of 5.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!! I was pleasantly surprised by it as well.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW

getting-luv wrote:
getluv wrote:
B-

What chick flicks do you like?

Sandra Bullock ones.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:25 pm

Ya Ya Sisterhood? That one was pretty good.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:32 pm

yes it was despite the hippie theme.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:36 pm
Forum General

I hated that movie. :wink: I really enjoyed The Lake House though.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:51 am
Profile YIM WWW

i thought the lake house was average, but i enjoyed Sandra. i hate it when she cries, i usually cry in sync.

back to No Reservations: also did anyone else find Catherine's crying in the cold room, goosebumpy. Seriously, my heart nearly collapsed.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:00 pm
Wallflower

movies35 wrote:
I hated that movie. :wink: I really enjoyed The Lake House though.

YA-YA wasn't very good, but it was better than THE LAKE HOUSE, which sucked.

NO RESERVATIONS - 8/10 (B+)

I really enjoyed this. I liked Catherine Zeta Jones in it. I just felt bad for her nice neighbor that liked her also. I wouldn't have minded her ending up with him. Anyway, it was much better than it looked.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:02 am
You must have big rats

It's a more or less average effort. I must say thatI was surprised to find out that the film is actually much more of a drama than a romcom. Well, the dramatic parts worked well most of the time and Catherine Zeta-Jones was quite good in the leading role. The comcom-parts, though felt forced and actually rather out of place. Maybe that's because Eckhart (who I wasn't impressed by in this film) and Zeta-Jones just had zero chemistry with each other. Abigail Breslin is solid here, though isn't given much to do.

The movie flies by pretty fast without ever being boring or too overly interesting. It's just there. The one thing that keeps it from being below average is Zeta-Jones performance and her interaction with Breslin which pretty much builds the best moments of the entire film. Oh and I thought the humor was a bit lacking too, except for the scene of Zeta-Jones and the "rare" steak, heh.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]