Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Coach Carter 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Coach Carter 
College Boy Z

Post Coach Carter
Coach Carter

Quote:
Coach Carter is a 2005 American film directed by Thomas Carter. It is based on a true story, in which Richmond High School basketball coach Ken Carter (no relation) made headlines in 1999 for benching his MVP and undefeated team due to poor academic results.

The screenplay was co-written by Mark Schwahn, who created the TV series One Tree Hill. The movie also recycles a handful of plot-lines from another TV series, The White Shadow, which director Thomas Carter co-starred in.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:50 pm
Forum General

Wow...I love this movie. It was great. Samual as well as the teenager actors were great, and ashanti gave a suprisingly good performance.

It was a 2 1/2 hour movie, which I liked because it took its time to get it's "message" across. Don't be fooled...its not just a basketball movie...its more than that. There is humor, drama...everything

A must see

A

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:39 am
College Boy Z

Of all the sports movies I’ve seen in my years of movie watching, Coach Carter sits at the top of the list. And the funny part is that I never planned to see it anyways. I had heard that it was an excellent movie; supposedly, it was better than my old favorite sports movie, Friday Night Lights. Because of that, I had to check it out, and that’s not something I usually do. I usually do not listen to others opinions and go see a movie, but go because I want to. But this is one time that I am thankful for listening to the word of mouth, because it was an amazing experience. Coach Carter tells the amazing story of a high school basketball coach who wanted his team to do more than win state championships. After the old basketball coach of Richmond High School decides to retire, Coach Carter (played by Samuel L. Jackson) decides to take over in hopes of making a change in the lives of a team of high school “boys”. However, his controversial ways of doing so lead to the problems between Carter and the whole town. Carter believes that even though it’s good to win a game, you’re nothing without a good education. The people of Richmond disagree, and it’s Carter’s new task to change the thought process of the whole town, plus change the lives of his team.

What I really loved about Coach Carter was how it blended a lot of issues that everyday teenagers go through into the mix. Not only does Coach Carter set out to teach his team a lesson, but also it ends up having the audience leaving the theater thinking. The movie sends a very positive message; education is the key to the future. To be honest, in real life, high school coaches to not put much pressure on the players to succeed in school because for a lot of people, sports is all they have in life. Coach Carter shows you how even the poorest, uneducated students can be successful in life if someone is there to make them. With its powerful story and heart-warming message, Coach Carter also gives us some exceptional acting skills by not only Samuel L. Jackson, but the younger cast as well. A lot were first time actors, but I can see a few going somewhere in the future if they continue rolls like they had in Coach Carter. Of course, Samuel L. Jackson steals the show with his top-notch performance as the one and only, Coach Carter. The movie also throws some comedy in, and is successful in doing so. Likeable characters, hilarious moments, a nice minor love story; this movie has it all. Along with the main story, Coach Carter goes above and beyond and has its individual stories on each of the star players of the movie. From drug dealing on the streets to a pregnant wife who has no idea what she’s dong in life, Coach Carter includes everything you could ask for.

Coach Carter sets a new standard in the long line of sports movies. I enjoyed every minute of Coach Carter, and as I walked out of the theater, there was a smile on my face that I decided to see it after all. I would recommend Coach Carter to anyone. I think that it’s got a little something for everybody, and whether the message of the movie applies to you or not, it’s certainly inspiring, and definitely what Hollywood needed to do.

A-

Last edited by zingy on Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:19 pm
Superman: The Movie

Coach Carter is very good movie and is very well acted, but the movie's running length is 130 minutes. If it was 10-20 minutes shorter, the film would've been perfect, but it kind of drags toward the end of the movie. That aside though, Jackson's performance is great and the message the film gives is also great for teenagers.

A-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Coach Carter is one of the best movis I have seen comparing it to last year.
It deserves a solid A- from me. It succeeds on every level it tries to tackle.

It's one of those movies where you don't expect to be quality film, but good teenage drama, but this one seriously surprised me on a large scale. Very well acted by the entire ensemble cast.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:40 am
Where will you be?

Wow, why so few reviews? This was a great movie, in my opinion better then Friday Night Lights, even in identifying the lifestyle of these type of characters. The cast was great, it hit just the right chords, and had a great message. Oh, and Samuel L. Jackson is a great high school sports coach, mine is a LOT like him (especially the way he messed with the players, hehe). A-

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:41 am
I just lost the game

Wonderful movie. Even in spite of some of the odd acting from the basketball players, the wonderful message and tone of the film instantly makes up for it. It deals with more issues than I expected, including many problems faced with a poor black teenage in the ghetto: teen pregnancy, gunfights, drugs. When the climax passes, you are definitely dissappointed, but Sam Jacson's speech at the end is such an awesome way to end the movie that you cannot accept any other ending to the movie. I give it an A-

Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:12 am
New Server, Same X

There's an old saying... well, maybe not old. I'm not even sure how many would agree. But, it goes without saying that if you've seen one sports film, you've seen them all. Now, I'm not talking about characters or actors or even the outcome of "the big game" that every sports film has. I'm talking about the basic structure: down and out team gets a new beginning with a new coach. They struggle to succeed. They suffer failures, and they succeed with victories. Someone dies (in this case, someone close to a team member dies). They seem invincible. They play the big game. They win, or they lose.

Coach Carter takes all of those sports movie cliches, but it still passes as a good film. In fact, I think the film itself follows its own plotline very well. At the beginning, it fails, just like the players in their classes. It showed me that improvement was needed, but I wasn't getting it immediately. It took time (the running time is fairly good, for a 2+ hour movie), and it got itself up there. It wasn't perfect, nor was it great. But it was good enough. And, along with the film, much of the success lands on the lead. That lead in the film is Ken "Coach" Carter. For the film itself, the lead is Samuel L. Jackson. Samuel saves this film from being run-of-the-mill, and he really deserves some recognition for a job well done. High kudos from me, and I look forward to more excellent film roles from him like this, and less like last year's PAINFULLY bad "Twisted".

Grade: B-/C+ (Not great, not terrible)

Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:50 pm
Golfaholic

Look! It's Dead Basketballer's Society! It is a nice movie, full of clichés, but it doesn't matter. What does matter though is that it goes way too long. I don't know the runtime, but it should have been about half an hour shorter. It delivered its message, but it just wennt on and on. So it is only a (B-)

Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:16 am
Forum General

Coach Cater was a good movie to watch, nothing more, nothing less. It has a couple good performances, but it was full of cliche's! I'll still buy it, though it's a bit overrated.

7/10 (B-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

I am not really into sports films, but this certainly was a good one and far better than Friday Night Lights that I have seen recently as well. It is an interesting watch and the most interesting thing about it is that its main focus is really not on basketball itself and not on the games. Those play a rather secondary role in the film. This movie is about the players, their lives and their coach. That was executed pretty well. There are typical sports film clichés, sure, but it still works well.

As mentioned above, however, the running time doesn't work very well. There was just no need to stretch it out into a 130+ minutes film. It could have easily done without at least 10-15 minutes and would have still delivered its message just as well. My second complaint is that the whole story seems way too overdramatised at times. Somehow, I find it hard to believe that all of those things happened back then exactly the same way. It all looks a bit too polished at times. Even the games which are seemingly all won/lost in the very last seconds.

Speaking of the games, though...they were put in scene splendidly. Nice basketball choreography there and overall very engaging games. I must admit despite knowing the outcome several games still had me quite tense throughout. Good job at making them work!

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]