Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Goonies 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

The Goonies 

Post The Goonies
The Goonies

Quote:
The Goonies is a 1985 American adventure-comedy film directed by Richard Donner. The screenplay was written by Chris Columbus from a story by executive producer Steven Spielberg. A band of children from the "Goon Docks" neighborhood of Astoria, Oregon, hoping to save their homes from demolition, go on an adventure to find the buried treasure of One-Eyed Willie, a legendary 17th-century pirate.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:40 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

A-

Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:56 am
Superman: The Movie

I'd say this was the most fun I've had watching a DVD in quite sometime, although it is a little too cornballish. The story is perfectly created by Spielberg. It's pretty much an Indiana Jones film with kids, minus the Nazis, with each booby-trapped room leading into the next. I also liked what Colombus did with screenplay. Some of the dialogue is a little too corny at times, but it's perfect for an '80s kids movie.

Finally there's Richard Donner. He just cannot direct a bad film and The Goonies another in that line (I haven't seen Timeline). I'd say he's pretty much my favorite director. That leads into my next point. The homage to a previous film of his and my favorite film - Superman - was absolutely perfect in the film and put a smile on my face.

A-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:03 am
Profile WWW
life begins now

B+

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:14 pm
Profile YIM
Aspiring Director

This was on TV (HD of course) recently and it plays just as well today as it did when I was a child.

Both my kids loved it and my wife and I were able to enjoy it all over again.

A+

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I grew up in the 80's. I feel that it is a generation of films that'sa little more pure than what we have today. There is a little more innocence in films like Raiders and Ghostbusters and Rambo and Back to the Future. But I guess if you were born in the 40's you would feel the same way about films in the 50's. It's all a matter of perspective. But watching a film like the Goonies brings me back to a time when my summers were spent not worrying about highschool, because I wasn't even there yet. But we spent time going to the movies, "sad risking", riding our bikes and playing tag at the park. It was a different time and a different feel. And watching the Goonies brings me back to that time. A time when friendship was different. Because when you hit a certain age, you have friends, but not the same way that you did when you were twelve or thirteen. When we were that young, we all had friends like the Goonies or like the guys in Stand By Me. And in a way, this film reminds me of Stand By Me. They deal with different issues but they both have friendship at the core of the film. And that is one of the reasons that makes it so enjoyable.

The Goonies is blessed with an all star production team. From the direction of a pre-Lethal Weapon and post Superman, we have Richard Donner. The producers are the Amblin team of Spielberg, Kennedy and Marshall and then you have the writing of Spielberg and Columbus ( Home Alone, Mrs. Doubtfire ). With a team like this, you know you are in for a good time. But what really makes this work in front of the camera is the great young actors of the 80's. My favourites are Corey Feldman as Mouth and of course Chunk. Who can forget when he gets caught by the Fratelli's and he has to tell them "everything". So he proceeds to gain their liking by telling them that he has pushed his sister down the stairs and blamed the dog and then making fake puke and dumping it over the balcony at the theater. It is a very funny sequence. Indiana Jones' Key Huy Quan is also priceless as Data, a James bond wannabe. The cast of young greats really makes the picture. The adventure the Goonies goes on is great for an audiene that enjoys an Indiana Jones adventure, and seeing that would be almost everyone, there are very few people that won't enjoy this film, although to be fair I think if you are under the age of 16 you will like it that much more.

I have nothing bad to say about The Goonies. It is funny, action packed, and has a lot to say about friendship. And if you are my age, it brings you back to a time when life wasn't so convoluted and strange. It brings you back to a time when going on an adventure that the Goonies go on would have been fathomable for you and your friends. So how can you not like a movie like this?

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

And if you are my age, it brings you back to a time when life wasn't so convoluted and strange. It brings you back to a time when going on an adventure that the Goonies go on would have been fathomable for you and your friends. So how can you not like a movie like this?

Excellently put. If i was still still 6 i'd give this an A, as it stands 22 years later (oh jesus that makes me feel really old) i'd give it a B+

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]