Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Star Trek: The Motion Picture 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Post Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Quote:
Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a 1979 American science fiction film released by Paramount Pictures. It is the first film based on the Star Trek television series. The plot of the film is set in the twenty-third century, when a mysterious and immensely powerful alien cloud called V'Ger approaches the Earth, destroying everything in its path. Admiral James T. Kirk (William Shatner) assumes command of his old starship—the USS Enterprise—to lead it on a mission to save the planet and determine V'Ger's origins.

When the original television series was cancelled in 1969, Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry lobbied Paramount to continue the franchise through a film. The success of the series in syndication convinced the studio to begin work on a feature film in 1975. A series of writers attempted to craft a suitably epic script, but the attempts did not satisfy Paramount, so the studio scrapped the project in 1977. Paramount instead planned on returning the franchise to its roots with a new television series, Star Trek: Phase II. The box office success of Close Encounters of the Third Kind convinced Paramount that science fiction films other than Star Wars could do well at the box office, so the studio cancelled production of Phase II and resumed its attempts at making a Star Trek film. In 1978, Paramount assembled the largest press conference held at the studio since the 1950s to announce that double Academy Award–winning director Robert Wise would helm a $15 million film adaptation of the television series.

With the cancellation of the new television series, the writers rushed to adapt the planned pilot episode of Phase II, "In Thy Image," into a film script. Constant revisions to the story and shooting script continued, to the extent of hourly script updates on shooting dates. The Enterprise was modified inside and out; costume designer Robert Fletcher provided new uniforms and production designer Harold Michelson fabricated new sets. Jerry Goldsmith composed the score, beginning an association with Star Trek that would continue until 2002. When the original contractors for the optical effects proved unable to complete their tasks in time, effects supervisor Douglas Trumbull was given carte blanche to meet the December 1979 release date. The film came together only days before the premiere; Wise took the just-completed film to its Washington, D.C., opening, but always felt that the theatrical version was a rough cut of the film he wanted to make.

Released in North America on December 7, 1979, Star Trek: The Motion Picture received mixed reviews from critics, many of whom criticized the film for its lack of action and over-reliance on special effects. The final production cost ballooned to approximately $46 million. The film earned $139 million worldwide, falling short of studio expectations but enough for Paramount to propose a cheaper sequel. Roddenberry was forced out of creative control for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. In 2001, Wise created a director's cut for a special DVD release of the film; a team remastered the audio, tightened and added scenes, and used new computer-generated effects to, he said, complete his vision.

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

Not that good. Pretty boring actually.

Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:20 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: Star Trek: The Motion Picture
You know, it is pretty boring, but it does a good job of sustaining mystery for a while.

Why they thought 2001 was a better template for this than, say, Star Wars or Buck Rogers is anyone's guess. At least they got it right the second time.

Still, worth watching.

Last edited by Johnny Dollar on Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:43 am
Superman: The Movie

I haven't seen the film in a couple of years, but I've always liked it. It's not the best in the series (IV), and it runs on too long, but I thought the story was well constructed. This film does have one big advantage the second one doesn't have - Jerry Goldsmith's score. I've always preferred John Williams, but Goldsmith's score here is masterful. The music for Kirk's approach, when he sees the Enterprise for the first time, is simply beautiful.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:49 am
Profile WWW
htm

I've always been a fan of the atmosphere of this film - very cold and mysterious. In that sense, it's a departure from everything else Star Trek. The visuals and the score are arresting and haunting to the core. Unfortunately, the film often meanders and is perhaps a little bit self-indulgent. I think much of the spirit of Star Trek is here, but subdued, and the big three characters aren't given enough interaction. It's a flawed film, but an experience well worth exploring.

**.5/****

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:41 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I havent seen this one in a real long time, but I remember this being my least favorite after Final Frontier.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:05 pm
We had our time together

One of the most boring films I've ever seen. F

Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]