Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 City Lights 

What grade would you give this film?
A 88%  88%  [ 7 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

City Lights 

Post City Lights
City Lights

Quote:
City Lights is a 1931 American silent film, a romantic comedy written and directed by Charlie Chaplin, who is the star. It also has the leads Virginia Cherrill and Harry Myers. Although "talking" pictures were on the rise since 1928, City Lights was immediately popular. Today it is thought of as one of the highest accomplishments of Chaplin's prolific career. Although classified as a comedy, City Lights has an ending widely regarded as one of the most moving in cinema history.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

"Perfect" is definitely the right adjective to describe this masterpiece. This and Before Sunrise/Sunset are definitely my two all time favorite romances. Just...too perfect for words. In my all time Top 10 easily. The ending is also up there with Sunset as one of my all time favorites...:cry:

Ugh, perfect.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

Im not a film student, so Im not particularly concerned with history of film.

I just don't find Charlie Chaplin in any way funny. And don't particularly like silent movies in general. But it was a different time.

:glare:

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:18 pm
Begging Naked

Im not a film student, so Im not particularly concerned with history of film.

I just don't find Charlie Chaplin in any way funny. And don't particularly like silent movies in general. But it was a different time.

He's definitely not as funny as he probably was back in the day (Most agree that Keaton has grown to be the better, fresher Silent Clown), but there's a certain irresistible charm about the films that just make me smile. And of course, the heart of the film is the key here, and why it's grown to be his masterpiece. :wub:

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
The Antichrist

Chaplin is still great after 70 days, unless modern blockbusters has completely damaged your sense of the cinema. His movies make you laugh, cry and think at the same time, and that's something very difficult to achieve.
City Lights is one of his masterpieces, though not the one I prefer. The rich man who is generous only when he's drunk is unforgettable and the ending is extremely touching (that alone is worth the 15 dollars I spent for the DVD).
A+ or a full 10/10

Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:42 am
Extraordinary

Absolute classic. Perfect in many ways. One of my favorite films.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Has any artist ever functioned at such a high level as Chaplin did for such a sustained period of time? The Kid, Gold Rush, Circus, City Lights, Modern Times, Great Dictator...each and every one belonging on a short list of the greatest films ever made. And that's not even considering the great shorts he made prior to The Kid, and Verdoux and Limelight after.

Over a 40-year period, he made not a single disposable work.

And City Lights is my favorite, too. The simplicity is what gets me every time.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:52 pm
Top Poster

A+, an essential viewing for everybody who watches movies primarily for entertainment.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Post Re: City Lights
Tomorrow is Chaplin's 120th Birthday.

I highly recommend this to anyone that has yet to have seen Chaplin's work. I'd also recommend it to those that have, but still need to see this.

And of course, those that have seen it, because one viewing isn't enough.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:00 pm
Profile WWW