Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Dogma 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Dogma 
College Boy Z

Post Dogma
Dogma

Quote:
Dogma is a 1999 American fantasy comedy film written and directed by Kevin Smith, who also stars in the film as Silent Bob along with an ensemble cast that includes Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Linda Fiorentino, Alan Rickman, Bud Cort, Salma Hayek, Chris Rock, Jason Lee, Jason Mewes, George Carlin, Janeane Garofalo, and Alanis Morissette.

Brian O'Halloran and Jeff Anderson, the stars of Smith's debut film Clerks, have cameo roles, as do Smith regulars Scott Mosier, Dwight Ewell, Walt Flanagan, and Bryan Johnson.

The 4th film set in the View Askewniverse is a hypothetical-scenario film revolving around the Catholic Church and Catholic belief, which caused organized protests and much controversy in many countries, delaying release of the film and leading to at least two death threats against Smith. The film follows two fallen angels, Loki and Bartleby, who, through a loophole in Catholic Dogma, find a way to get back into Heaven after being cast out by God. However, as existence is founded on the principle that God is infallible, their success would prove God wrong and thus undo all creation. The last scion and two prophets are sent by the Voice of God to stop them.

Aside from some scenes filmed on the New Jersey shore, most of the film was shot in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

By now, I've realized something about these types of movies. I use this math formula.

Jay + Silent Bob + Movie = Good Movie

\:D/

B+

Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:06 pm
Cream of the Crop

George Carlin + Buddy Jesus = Better movie

I give it an A-

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Love this movie. Many great actors (Affleck too) and awesome dialogues. A-

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This is by far and away the best Kevin Smith film I ever saw (and miles better than his most recent outings). The cast is great and the humor works very well. This must be one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Kevin Smith is a genius, 14 November 1999

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

Warning: does contain spoilers

I was completely blown away by Clerks, Mallrats was good but a bit of a disappointment and Chasing Amy is one of the most honest films I have ever seen. Dogma is one of the most intelligent and daring and it is incredibly funny and very, very entertaining. Dogma is a triumph and I am glad there are guys like Smith who have the brains to make a film like this.

One of the great strenghts of this film is the witty references to 80's films and films in general. And to quickly rebut what a previous reviewer commented about Smith's small speaking role, yes I agree that he had nothing witty to say in this film but the two lines that he did have were great, especially when he tosses somebody out of the train and he says to a frightened passenger " NO TICKET " as he points out the window. That is one of the funniest parts of the movie as it parodies or pays homage to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. So to say that his lines are stupid in this film is to not be paying attention to what he is saying and where those lines of dialogue come from. There are also some great lines about John Hughes' fictitious city of Shermer Illinois and of a debate about what was going to be the bigger film, E.T. or some other small movie that disappeared faster than Tom Selleck's film Ffolks. Kevin Smith's wit and knowledge of film is on par with Tarantino and Kevin Williams and he is to be applauded for that.

This film is very wordy and I can see how some people would think that it takes away from the film's enjoyment, I feel the opposite. Kevin Smith's strength has been always been his mind and what he writes. His directing skills are average at best, after all, he has no training with the camera. He only films what he knows how to. But it is his script that has been the best part of all of his films. To say that this film is too wordy is to critisize Smith for doing what he does best, and that is writing witty and smart dialogue for us. He is obviously very well versed in Catholisism and other religions and he gets it out on paper for all of us to love and laugh at. I really enjoyed everything that he had to say about religion. But now to get to what I think the best part of the film is, and that is to look no further than the two male leads.

Damon and Affleck are priceless in here. They work so well together and they feed off of one another. Affleck has been in all of Smith's films except Clerks and Damon and Smith also go way back as he too had a small cameo in Chasing Amy. Friendship probably got them to look at the script, but the strength of the script probably got them to do it, and for that I am thankful. Damon and Affleck work the screen like a pianist works the keys. A perfect example of this (and my favourite part of the script and the film) is when they are at the movie studio and they are patronizing the execs for breaking the ten commandments. Your eyes are glued to the screen when Damon lays into each and every one of them and even Affleck with his subtle nods and expressions of exasperation are perfect. I am really pleased that these two played Bartleby and Loki. Their friendship in real life really helped define their friendship in the film.

Dogma is an intelligent film about religion, it is gut bustingly funny in many parts, it has a wonderful cast that play their parts beautifully and it is a Kevin Smith film. I love it. This film, while witty and smart, is really one of the funnier films to come out this year. What's not to like about it? Thanks Kevin Smith for being loyal to your fans and friends and making this movie and the three others before it. You really are a genius and I look forward to your next film, whatever that may be.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Sheer comedy brilliance. Smiths best effort.

A

Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:00 am
Indiana Jones IV

I thought a little over rated, but had a few laugh out loud parts and I was expecting more. George Carlin as a bishop was just great casting though. B/B+

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Where will you be?

Wow, this was much, much better then I was expecting it to be. A-

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:00 am
You must have big rats

Still stands as one of the best comedies I have ever seen.

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

My favourite of Kevin Smith's films and the most entertaining one. The banter and interplay between Affleck and Damon is, to me, what makes this film works so well. It's absolutely hilarious at times. The story is pretty interesting, too, and the acting is mostly solid - Alan Rickman is a highlight. Delves into stupidity every once in a while, and the lead actress is wholly unlikeable, but the film is still, overall, pretty good.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:03 pm

Post Re: Dogma
Finally watched this straight through. Great film with some of the best moments in 90s cinema.

A

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:32 pm
You must have big rats

Post Re: Dogma
Yup. Instant cult classic.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]