Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 White Noise 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12

White Noise 
College Boy Z

Post White Noise
White Noise

Quote:
White Noise is a 2005 supernatural horror film, directed by Geoffrey Sax. The title refers to electronic voice phenomena (EVP), where voices, which some believe to be from the "other side," can be heard on audio recordings. The film is not related to the postmodern novel White Noise by Don DeLillo.

Last edited by zingy on Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:43 pm
MISSING IN ACTION

hehe..Ill just post my review everywhere on the forums :lol:

Sadly, I must say, this film had the PERFECT premise, backed by a PERFECT ad campaign, only to be ruined by a sometimes laughable, unbelievable, on-going, storyline that tries to pull out the stupidest of scares. The ending was horrible and there were no answers to any questions asked through out the whole film. The ending drew together points in the film that made no sense, and failed horribly at trying to make the ending dark but joyful(i.e. The Sixth Sense showing Bruce Willis accepting that he is dead, or In the Ring where Naomi Watts and her son accept that the girl can't be stopped, but are saved). In my opinion, the film is at best, a mediocre thriller, taking a cue from other mediocre thillers like Darkness Falls or Suspect Zero. Also, I think this review is influenced by the lack of interest from the audience. I feel that Micheal Keaton was a horrible mistake on the casting part, he really didn't "bring it", and looked more bored then sympathetic. The movie tries too hard to be too serious.....making the film boring, dull and dumb.

Im sorry, I give this film a D.

Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

What an absolutely ghastly little bitch of a motion picture. I might review it later, but for now, D-. Talk about an awful way to start the year.

Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:25 am
College Boy Z

Undecided. I loved it up till the last 20 minutes, and then I became completely lost. I need to find out what happened in that movie before giving a review and grade for it. It's ... odd.

Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:43 am
Where will you be?

White Noise is an absolutely awful movie in an endless amount of ways. Aside from two good, albeit predictable, jump scares, it's completely empty, and the ending is not only ridiculously bad, confusing and over-the-top, it tries to be more then it is. Instead of coming off as enlightening, it comes off as cheesy and obsequious. Michael Keaton tries, but really just seems tired and sad that he's starring in this dreck. The rest of the supporting cast isn't much better. Ian McNiece is decent with the small role he has, though I got to say that double chin of his is scarier then anything else in White Noise. And honestly, why would this movie, that's essentially a big advertiesement for EVP, suggest that anyone who researches it will be attacked by ghosts that look alarmingly similar to Bat Boy from The Weekly World News. D-

Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:56 am
You must have big rats

Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

So much for the WoM :lol:

:lol:

My friend called me and said it sucked ass. He said he would have rather seen The Polar Express over this crap. Haha

Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Ok I admit when I was going to see the movie, I had a pretty closed mind that it would suck as badly as the Grudge and it would be The Ring rip off. My opinion now is that it didnt suck as badly as the Grudge and it was no Ring rip off. However, it was more in tune as a Sixth Sense rip off and the movie was alright but not that good. I would of given in a B- if they didnt have such a sloppy climax towards the end. I dont want to give too much of the spoiler but its not so much what happens to Keatons character at the end but they way they tried to present the incident of supernaturals coming in contact with him.Best pretend the last 15minutes never happened. I would rate it as a C+ because of the crappy ending not because I choose sappy endings. What pisses me off is that there was no closure for the character at the end, it really seemed like he did all the actions for nothing and then some weird ass ending happened and poof

Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:44 pm
Forum General

Wow...I was very dissapointed in this movie. I was so pumped and excited when I saw the previews and trailers. I really though we had a good horror movie on our hands, however I couldnt have been more wrong. I feel duped...almost as much as I did for village(although village is 10 times better than this piece of shit) In the previews it made it seem like there were alot of scares and the line" some movies are so disturbing...ect" made it seem like you had a real good horror movie on your hands. The scares suck, the story is interesting but lacking in effort. It seemed as if the studio just said fuck it and threw this piece of trash to the market. The ending made me want to to urinate all over the theater screen. Michael was alright in it, and I hope the moderate success of this movie gets him back in the game, but this was a bad choice for him.

Don't waste your time on this movie...interesting premise, great trailers...awful movie

D-(and thats only because I like the star of the movie)

Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:48 pm
College Boy Z

http://www.worldofkj.com/Zingaling-WhiteNoise.php

Quote:
What a world we live in. The simplest technology always impressed me. First, we had telephones. Then, we had cellular phones. Then, we went a little advanced with those cellular phones, and slapped a nice colored screen on it, put a handy little camera in the back, and made it the size of your everyday credit card. That's technology for you. Never fails to impress. White Noise presents a new type of technology to the general public. It's really quite interesting; the concept of EVP. EVP stands for Electronic Voice Phenomenon, and it enables us to hear and even see dead people (no, not The Sixth Sense style...).

White Noise's premise is what attracted me more than anything else. Yes, I'm a horror fanatic, but unlike White Noise, most horror movies don't have good stories. White Noise pulled that off with ease, and definitely attracted a lot of attention. It also marks the long awaited return of Michael Keaton (Batman, Desperate Measures). He plays Jonathan Rivers, a man whose world has turned completely around when his wife mysteriously dies. He meets a man who presents the crazy idea of Jonathan being able to talk to his dead wife via a machine. Jonathan eventually decides to try this out, and see what it's all about, and it turns out to be 100% true. Of course, though, it can't be a horror movie without having a twist. Well, it's not like if you're communicating with dead people, all of the dead people will be nice! Evil can easily come through, and that's what happens in White Noise. It's hard to review a movie like this because I've said all I can about the story without giving it away.

I'm actually very surprised at how long the movie kept my attention. White Noise never really tries that hard to scare you, or even make you jump. For those expecting a scare-a-minute kind of movie, or even a scare-an-hour, forget it. The movie is too concentrated on it's own story to give the audience a scare. There are so many things to watch out for when you make a movie about contacting or seeing dead people, and this is where White Noise begins to lose its electricity. The story is filled with plot holes; especially in the last 20 minutes of the movie. There are tons of horror movies that have this problem, but White Noise got too weird and unusual with it. Similar to White Noise, it's an ending you can never expect. But, unlike Saw, White Noise's ending is a love or hate ending, and will probably decide the way you feel about the whole movie. It's also going to have the audience thinking at the same time, for its ending is quite unsure of itself. It's a bit unexpected what happens, and not in the best way. The ending disappointed me, but the rest of the movie sure made up for it. It's smart, intriguing, suspenseful, and most of all... entertaining. I had a fun time watching this movie, and though it had its flaws with the ending, I can't say that I didn't like it without lying to myself.

C+

Last edited by zingy on Tue May 17, 2005 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:52 pm
Veteran

Decent movie. A good effort by the director. He has tried to make the best he could without trying to add scares or thrills that are irrelevant. Michael Keaton and the intriguing plot bring a lot of credibilty to this venture. Ending is abrupt and set for a sequel.

Grade B+

Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Decent movie. A little predictable, and the ending was not as good as it could have been. Great performance by Keaton however. Not the best horror film of late, but certainly far from the worst. B

Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:58 pm
Veteran

B+ it was a pretty good movie. it made me jump in parts and it had a good story line.

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:28 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

I saw it. Snuck in after Phantom last night.

And, I watched it with an open mind :D

It got a standing ovation from me!

Yup, I walked out right about when that girl jumped off the balcony. After cracking up with the rest of the audiance, a few of us decided to leave this horrible stinker.

Wow. I didn't know such crap was legal.

F

Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Yup, I walked out right about when that girl jumped off the balcony. After cracking up with the rest of the audiance, a few of us decided to leave this horrible stinker.

F

They made it legal right after supercrap like The Phantom of the Stupid was allowed to be made and released :wink:

Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

zach wrote:

F

They made it legal right after supercrap like The Phantom of the Stupid was allowed to be made and released :wink:

How nice. This is what makes you look like an asshole. You can't except the fact that people don't like movies you like. I am long over the fact that you are too ignorant to try and enjoy the Phantom, that's fine. But don't go off being such a fuckface by bashing people for not liking movies you like. It's old, honestly...

Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

jb007 wrote:
zach wrote:

F

How nice. This is what makes you look like an asshole. You can't except the fact that people don't like movies you like. I am long over the fact that you are too ignorant to try and enjoy the Phantom, that's fine. But don't go off being such a fuckface by bashing people for not liking movies you like. It's old, honestly...

Moron, I wasn't bashing you but the movie you liked. You are too thick in the head to realize that you jerkoff. Go and play with your gay buddies on your stupid thread.

Some of you gay assholes think the internet gives the cover to insult people. Buttbuddy of many, If you want to settle it outside, any place, anytime.

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

jb007 and zach, I agree. White Noise did have it's good and bad. :wink:

Let's continue on with the White Noise discussion! Woo hoo! \:D/

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:14 pm
Veteran

jb007 and zach, I agree. White Noise did have it's good and bad. :wink:

Let's continue on with the White Noise discussion! Woo hoo! \:D/

:lol:

I don't care if somebody makes fun of a movie I like. I make fun of the movies they like.

Since these people can only dish it but cannot take it, they get down to hurling personal insults. That is the second phantom lover to do it.

These people are showing class alright, very low class that is :wink:

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Why the HELL would you bring sexuality into this? Why?

Sorry, but that's really fucking rude. There is no need for that. I thought you were more immature than that.

I still don't see why you think I can't take your crit. Why? Cuz I said fuck? Does that mean I'm insecure? I don't get where your comming from, and I really don't give a shit if you liked the movie or not. Because I thought it sucked. Get over it.

I'll be talking to Eagle about your problems with sexuality, since you are too imature to leave that out of things.

Just my luck. Algren and you, in one week.

Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Why the HELL would you bring sexuality into this? Why?

Sorry, but that's really fucking rude. There is no need for that. I thought you were more immature than that.

I still don't see why you think I can't take your crit. Why? Cuz I said fuck? Does that mean I'm insecure? I don't get where your comming from, and I really don't give a shit if you liked the movie or not. Because I thought it sucked. Get over it.

I'll be talking to Eagle about your problems with sexuality, since you are too imature to leave that out of things.

Just my luck. Algren and you, in one week.

I agree...the anti homosexual comments were not needed

Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:52 am
Christian's #1 Fan

I am now officially angry with Joel Schumacher for attempting to release a movie based on The Phantom of the Opera. It seems that it has created a rift here and whenever somebody doesn't agree they simply bring in the argument about The Phantom, relevant or not.

Please people. How immature do we have to be around here?

Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:00 am
New Server, Same X

I'm a bit undecided. I'm like Zing, I thought everything up to the last 20 minutes worked well. But, those last 20 minutes left a sour taste in my mouth. It got confusing for no reason, after being a fairly simple plot (nothing to really be ashamed of, a confusing plot throughout would have fucked up more than intended). A few scares came out of nowhere and worked well, there were a few that were seen coming and STILL made me jump, but near the end, any scares weren't scary at all. I don't know where the film wanted to go, or where it went really, but I just didn't like it all that much. I don't know, I would recommend it, but barely.

Grade: B-

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:36 pm
We had our time together

Wasn't too impressed with White Noise either. I enjoyed it pretty much the whole time, except for the ending. Liked Keaton here. C+

Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next