Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Shrek the Third 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 22 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 14 ]
D 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 49

Shrek the Third 
Extraordinary

Post Shrek the Third
Shrek the Third

Quote:
Shrek the Third (also known as Shrek 3) is a 2007 American animated film, and the third film in the Shrek series. It was produced by Jeffrey Katzenberg for DreamWorks Animation, and is distributed by Paramount Pictures. It was released in U.S. theaters on May 18, 2007 (exactly six years after the first film). Although the film received mixed reviews from critics, it grossed $798,958,162, making it a commercial success.

It was produced with the working title of Shrek 3, the name being changed to avoid potential confusion with Shrek 3-D. Like the first two Shrek films, the film is based on fairy tale themes. It was nominated for Best Animated Movie at the 2008 Kids' Choice Awards and was also nominated for the BAFTA Award for Best Animated Film at the 61st British Academy Film Awards. This film also pairs former Monty Python members Eric Idle & John Cleese for the first time since 1993's Splitting Heirs (Idle plays Merlin, Cleese plays King Harold).

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri May 18, 2007 2:04 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

:D a second sequel that DIDN'T disapoint. on par with the first film but not as funny as the 2nd.

Fri May 18, 2007 9:50 am
Commander and Chef

hit and miss all over. some parts extremely funny (pinnochio) and some parts absolute duds (too much use of Led Zep)

Fri May 18, 2007 10:46 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I found this movie to be very funny, unlike the 2nd one where I thought the only real redeeming thing was Antonio Bandares. A lot of the jokes you may have seen before, but thats the point, and theres enough spin on them to make them work.

Donkey is not really as annoying anymore but is now actually funny, and him and puss and boots are hysterical when on screen together. The gingerbread man and the king's small roles are hysterical, if short. The women are good at times, but not amazing, but they are there more for women and they should like it more. Eric Idle as Merlin is quite funny too. The only real misfire is Artie (Justin Timberlake) who tries to give the film depth or heart, but he is so dam annoying. Almost all of his lines are motivational speeches. I was sick from him.

Overall families will love this film, and there are more then enough jokes for parents to like this time around more then the others (Though a royally fucked and pot smoking joke might be a little too much, as they get more obvious this time)

Shrek B+
Shrek 2- B-/C+
Shrek 3- B+

Its almost completely forgettable, but the short run time and lots of solid laughs make it work.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 18, 2007 12:16 pm
Forum General

I don't remember being this bored in a 90 minute movie in a long time. Almost none of the jokes work and they're completely stolen from the second film (Donkey and Puss even trade bodies, just like characters traded bodies in the second film). Justin Timberlake's character was incredibly annoying and sounded like a little girl. Even the scene with the Gingerbread man wasn't that great, though he had a couple cute little one liners at the beginning. It's going to be a big hit and kids are going to love it but really, skip it. It's nothing you haven't seen before and it's pretty boring on top of that. Bring on Pirates.

5/10 ( C )

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri May 18, 2007 7:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Kramer

It was entertaining enough so it didn't completely suck. It was much better than Spider-Man 3, which I only bring up because this is the May battle of the threequels. I'll be very dissapointed if Pirates doesn't crush both of them.

The movie needed to be about 10 minutes longer. Puss In Boots didn't have enough scenes, and he's my favorite character. They made the Gingerbread Man steal the show this time. It all passed by too quickly with not enough histerical moments. I did like some of the more subtle humor, two lines come to mind. The whole Shrek using ebonics didn't work but when Artie runs away screaming "I've been kidnapped by a monster who's trying to relate to me" I laughed. The other was when Merlin was saying that sending them on their way without having them settle their differences would be "comically irresponsible". Besides that, and of course the Gingerbread Man's life flashing before his eyes, I really don't remember a lot, and I just got back from it.

Solid B, and a decent enough addition to the franchise.

Fri May 18, 2007 7:54 pm
Team Kris

This was is no way as great as the previous two movies, but it was still fun. The Gingerbread Man was by far and away the best character as he steals every scene he is in. Him and Pinnochino should have their own movie. But the main thing that I didn't like was Artie. He was so damn annoying I wanted Shrek to smash him like a bug. I wanted more banter between Shrek and Donkey and more Gingerbread Man. I wanted the Giant Gingerbread Man from the 2nd movie to make an appearance, that would have awesome.

B-

Fri May 18, 2007 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

This was is no way as great as the previous two movies, but it was still fun. The Gingerbread Man was by far and away the best character as he steals every scene he is in. Him and Pinnochino should have their own movie. But the main thing that I didn't like was Artie. He was so damn annoying I wanted Shrek to smash him like a bug. I wanted more banter between Shrek and Donkey and more Gingerbread Man. I wanted the Giant Gingerbread Man from the 2nd movie to make an appearance, that would have awesome.

B-

Am I the only one who hated the giant Gingerbread man, such a terrible creation. I thoguht the 2nd was really bad compared to this.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 18, 2007 8:37 pm
Star Trek XI

Sometimes, you just have to wonder why critics are so hard on a movie. Yes, Shrek The Third is the weakest in the series, but it's still very cute and funny. Mike Meyers is as loveable as ever as everyone's favorite ogre, even if he is a bit soft this time around. Cameron Diaz provides her usual spunk and sweetness as Fiona. Eddie Murphy and Antonio Banderas are as funny as usual. Solid supporting effort comes from Julie Andrews(who even gets sing a part of My Favorite Things), Rupert Evert(as the hopeless Prince Charming), John Cleese(even though he is only in the film for five minutes), Eric Idle(another Monty Python member, as the voice of Merlin), and the princess gang of Snow White(Amy Poehler), Cinderella(Amy Sedaris), Cheri Oteri(Sleeping Beauty), and Rapunzel(Maya Rudolph). Justin Timberlake is weak as King Arthur/Artie, but that has more to do with his character than his vocal performance. The visuals are the most beautiful yet, and while there are some hit and miss gags, there are always ones that work. Really cute, and a worthy addition to the series. B+

Fri May 18, 2007 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

revolutions wrote:
B+

:D a second sequel that DIDN'T disapoint. on par with the first film but not as funny as the 2nd.

Isn't the Gingerbread Man's scene the only reason to see the film.

Just say it.

which scenes? they're all hillarious :hahaha: especially when he pooped.

KC wrote:
This was is no way as great as the previous two movies, but it was still fun. The Gingerbread Man was by far and away the best character as he steals every scene he is in. Him and Pinnochino should have their own movie.

:D that'd be freaking AWWWSOME!!

Fri May 18, 2007 9:12 pm

I agree the flashback is histarical, easily the best scene in the entire flm series, easily.

B/B+

To put it short:

Hilarious but extremely hollow.

Fri May 18, 2007 11:53 pm
Sbil

Pretty much agree with what everyone else said.

It's not as much fun as the previous two (which are among my all-time favorites), but it's still cute and entertaining. I think it was probably a more worthwhile threequel than Spidey3 was.

B

Fri May 18, 2007 11:56 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Yeah, not the best. but def enjoyed seeing it. C+ for me. low grade i know. but that's because i expected more. i hope it does well.

Sat May 19, 2007 12:48 am
I just lost the game

If you thought Shrek 2 was bad, it's freaking Godfather in comparison to this. There were a handful of great moments (I really liked Merlin personally). Aside from them, an extremely dull movie.

D+

Sat May 19, 2007 1:04 am
Devil's Advocate

Good stuff, can't really add much that hasn't been said. Artie is the low point, but Puss, Donkey, Gingerbread, Pinocchio, Shrek, Prince Charming, etc. are as good as they've ever been. I didn't really mind the length, it went by nicely.

I'm shocked a lot of the reviews are saying it has a lack of moral and emotional depth... Did they even see the movie? I thought it had easily more motivational and moral-heavy moments and themes than the other two. Responsibility, fatherhood, the villains turning their lives around. Sometimes I don't get critics.

Sat May 19, 2007 5:18 pm
College Boy Z

It felt like a three hour long film. Honestly.

I laughed a few times here and there, but overall, not that good.

C

Sat May 19, 2007 10:47 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

It felt like a three hour long film. Honestly.

I laughed a few times here and there, but overall, not that good.

C

When Zing doesn't enjoy a movie I know its in serious trouble.

Sat May 19, 2007 11:17 pm
College Boy Z

Ehhhhh. I'm not a reliable source for kids flicks. I didn't expect much from this, anyways, but it just felt so fucking long for a film that's 81 minutes.

Shrek - B+
Shrek 2 - B-
Shrek the Third - C

Sat May 19, 2007 11:20 pm
Romosexual!

I'm shocked a lot of the reviews are saying it has a lack of moral and emotional depth... Did they even see the movie? I thought it had easily more motivational and moral-heavy moments and themes than the other two. Responsibility, fatherhood, the villains turning their lives around. Sometimes I don't get critics.

yep :D and also the whole being happy with who u are no matter what others think.

*sings*
thank you for helping me be myself. :happy:

Sat May 19, 2007 11:32 pm
Teenage Dream

Sat May 19, 2007 11:44 pm

I was dragged to this by my boyfriend and his best friend, we were all so bored we left when Arthur starting crying to Merlin, I felt like I had been in the theater for 2 hours.

I am about ready to give up on movies, seriously, I have seen one enjoyable film all year.

Sun May 20, 2007 1:00 am
Extraordinary

A sequel made just to be sequel to a 400 million dollar film. There isn't much that is special or even that memorable in Shrek 3. It's nowhere near as interesting or as good as Shrek and I think it's a step down from Shrek 2. I did laugh intermittently throughout but nothing really gut busting that I can recall. The best laugh was a scene with the ginger man that appeared in the trailer. A couple things that annoyed me were the two ugly sisters who had extremely deep voices and the joke in the "high school" that dealt with incense and mur as a take on marijuana. The latter was a highly unnecessary joke. In the end, it's nothing special and I think the big blockbusters are now 0 for 2 in substance vs style. Hopefully Pirates can turn this tide.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun May 20, 2007 1:48 am
Extraordinary

Sounds like the Gingerbread Man needs a spinoff.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun May 20, 2007 1:51 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Sounds like the Gingerbread Man needs a spinoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KzjWZfyH9g

Sun May 20, 2007 1:58 am
I just lost the game

As much as I dislike the movie, I agree with this. The movie's strongpoint was the theme(s) - in particular, Artie's little speech to the villains. I was actually a little refreshing to see a kid's movie theme to be something a bit more practical than "love everyone, don't be bad, don't be greedy, don't be selfish." Only you can define who you are.

In fact, I thought Shrek's issued with fatherhood had too much screentime and attention.

Sun May 20, 2007 5:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next