Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Rest Stop 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 3

Rest Stop 

Post Rest Stop
Rest Stop

Quote:
Rest Stop: Dead Ahead is the first direct-to-video horror film released by Warner Studios' "Raw Feed" imprint on October 17, 2006.

The plot involves a girl who is terrorized by a deranged serial killer while on a cross country road trip to California.

Thu May 10, 2007 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Now I'm a patient man, I can tolerate alot of stupidity when it comes to characters in Horror movies. I mean without the stupidity how on earth will all the gore and killing occur? But with Rest Stop I found there was a line I refused to cross. Yes this movie features the single dumbest heroine in cinema history.

The basic story itself is a rip-off of Wolf Creek crossed with The Hitcher. Young couple head off for Hollywood but along the way thru redneck country (have these people ever heard of the motorway) they run into a psycho in an old Ford pick-up truck. Boyfriend goes missing and the rest of the movie is the girlfriend playing a game of cat an mouse with the lunatic while holed up for large parts in the Rest Stop in the movie name.

Oh but this girl is extra extra stupid, the catalog of shame...

She breaks into an old ranger station and uses the radio to call for help, this would be ok if she did polish off an ENTIRE bottle of whiskey that had been left laying there. Seriously the last thing on your mind when getting chased by a lunatic is getting smashed. So so stupid

She takes to hiding in the rest stop when there was acres of woodland to serve the same purpose! Congratulations Women you've made the nut jobs task so much more easy.

She fails to pick up a gun close to her until specifically told to by a state trooper she meets along the way. Clearly she wants to defeat the madman with her fists and to hell with lead!

Of course there is plenty of blood lying around in this movie, including a pretty gory Hostel style bit where a guy gets his tongue snipped off with what looks like a grip wrench and for good measure has a person draw grooves on him with a Stanley knife. And we get extra extra extra looooonnngggg talking scenes where we have the characters spout dialogue a team of trained monkeys would have difficulty considering smart. Oh and the Wolf Creek style supernatural inserts fail miserably to entertain or interest.

Still its pretty funny to watch the blatant use of a body double in the obligatory sex scene (either that or the actresses breasts increased in size massively for the lovemaking before shrinking for the rest of the movie). But otherwise avoid this shambles of a film, hell its almost as bad as The Hitcher re-make if that was possible.

F

Fri May 11, 2007 2:23 pm
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Rest Stop
It's hilarious that this has a review page.

I picked up the two-pack (Rest Stop 1 and 2) and thought I was getting a genuinely good small-time horror movie. WB name on it. John Shiban (X-Files) wrote and directed. Hey, Joey Lawrence is in it! Can't be all bad if Joey's there.

But it so is. It's as if someone (Shiban) watched a bunch of horror movies, loved them, tried to make his own but didn't know what kind of horror movie he wanted. It's simultaneously referencing so many (superior!) films without distinguishing itself properly. When it does, it comes across as so, so stupid. The clincher is when the girl escapes the crazy family, makes it back to solitude and says aloud something about the midget freak. To no one. At all.

Part 2 isn't any better really. I feel like when you introduce shit humor (as in humor revolved around feces) or shit in general, you're treading into unnecessary territory. I can guarantee you that there is no good movie ever made to heavily feature human feces in any way, shape or form, whether talked about (it is!) or thrown about (it is!!). Once the second movie kind of better explains certain events in the first movie, that's the only genuinely interesting part, but the movie is so far gone by that point, it'd be best to forget about it.

John Shiban wasn't that good on The X-Files anyway.

Rest Stop 1: */****
Rest Stop 2: */****

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:15 am
Wallflower

I thought the first was OK. The second was terrible.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:27 pm
New Server, Same X

Mike wrote:
I thought the first was OK. The second was terrible.

There were so many good, pure, creepy moments in the first. But I found they were almost always ruined by something really stupid.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:23 am
now we know

Rest Stop

Pure garbage. Every single scene is unoriginal and crap. It does feature some eerie family in a camper van, and I'm sure there are nutters out there that will love this shit, probably the same people that enjoyed The Hills Have Eyes remake, but I think of Rest Stop as the lower-class of cinema, the bottom feeder, the beggar, that disgusting person that repulses everybody who they meet. Don't get me wrong, this is not some ultra-sick movie that gory fans should see, it's just crap. A guy has been killing people since the 70s, and apparently he's been driving the same yellow truck since that time, or at least the same plates anyway. So, he must be at least 60 years old by now...laughable.

You do get to see the perfectly shaped breasts of Jaimie Alexander early on, though. It's quick, so for all of you perverts out there; get your finger ready on pause button. She's in Thor, which I'm sure you're all aware of.

F

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:58 am
Profile WWW
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

F

As everyone prior has said, this is trash. It's hard to imagine a horror film worse than Hatchet, but Rest Stop is.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]