Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 End of Days 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
B 88%  88%  [ 7 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

End of Days 

Post End of Days
End of Days

Quote:
End of Days is a 1999 American horror thriller film directed by Peter Hyams starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Robin Tunney, Rod Steiger, Kevin Pollak, CCH Pounder, Udo Kier and Gabriel Byrne as Satan. Schwarzenegger received a salary of $25 million for his lead role in the film.

Wed May 09, 2007 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Ok, as being pegged as this huge return to Schwarzenegger after Batman, and his hiatus from his heart surgery, its a big letdown.

However, the film is not throw away at all. Especially if you saw this before the Millenium, it was a very cool thriller with some very interesting ideas. Arnie is probably the darkest he's ever been and sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. Gabriel Byrne is pretty good as the devil and Pollack is all right as the sidekick. Some good action, effects and good liners, but there are enough problems from it never getting beyond allright.

It does have a great one liner from Schwarzenegger to the Devil

"Oh you want to fuck with me? You think you no bad, huh. Your a fucking Choir buy compared to me! A CHOIR BOY!"

B+ It gets points for being the most ballsy film Schwarzenegger has ever done.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu May 10, 2007 9:58 am
We had our time together

Most underrated Arnie movie EVER. When I first saw it in theaters I was blown away. It lost some of it's impact but I still love it and, to be true, don't get all the hate for it. A/A-

Thu May 10, 2007 10:59 am
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

B-

Thu May 10, 2007 8:47 pm
You must have big rats

I am in the camp of this being one of Schwarzenegger's most underrated films. In fact, I think this is the last very good film he produced. After that came the mediocre Collateral Damage, The Sixth Day and the slightly disappointing T3. End of Days is certainly not breaking new grounds, but it is absolutely throughly entertaining, doesn't rely too much on Arnie's funny one-liners and delivers some excellent and entertaining action scenes with a very fitting ending. Sure, some of it is silly and a lot is predictable, but it is great fun and probably my favorite Schwazenegger since True Lies.

Wed May 16, 2007 10:29 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: End of Days
Hadn't seen this film in a while, probably since 99. Holds up pretty well actually. I think it's better than average but the final third act while action packed is kind of lackluster, and doesn't do the rest of the film justice. Still Arnold is trying something different, and for the most part he succeeds, and still delivers the goods. Kevin Pollack was great, and Gabriel Byrne has a lot of fun.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:59 am
Pure Phase

Decent movie with a few great scenes and one of my favorite Arnold lines ever ("A CHOIR BOY!"). Gabriel Byrne needs a great film role again.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 am
now we know

It is an underrated Arnold movie, for sure. Arnold is good and Gabriel Byrne is too. I like how Arnold isn't the strongest man in the world in this film, yet he still manages to beat the Devil, so I love the contradiction. The soundtrack is pretty good too. If I had one major issue it's that the film is too dark, now I don't mean thematically (one would expect a Devil picture to be dark), but every scene is at night time apart from the ludicrious chopper swinging. I do, though, love the pizza in the food blender scene.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Another insanely underrated Arnold movie that still holds up quite well IMO. Just like Eraser I never got the hate for this movie and it easily has one of Schwarzenegger's best performances. I love how he plays a different and more vulnerable character here, but still kicks plenty of ass when he needs too. Gabriel Byrne is so damn entertaining in this as Satan too and I loved every interaction between Schwarzenegger's and Kevin Pollak's characters. Robin Tunney is really the only weak link in the cast, but I could deal with her and as ridiculous as the helicopter and the subway set pieces are Peter Hyams directs the action really well. The guy has always been a pretty underrated director though.

B

Mon May 11, 2020 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]