Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Troy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Troy 
College Boy Z

Post Troy
Troy

Quote:
Troy is a 2004 epic war film written by David Benioff and directed by Wolfgang Petersen based on the events of the Trojan War. Its cast includes Brad Pitt as Achilles, Eric Bana as Hector, Orlando Bloom as Paris, Diane Kruger as Helen, Sean Bean as Odysseus, Brian Cox as Agamemnon, Rose Byrne as Briseis, Garrett Hedlund as Patroclus, Peter O'Toole as Priam, Brendan Gleeson as Menelaus, and Tyler Mane as Greater Ajax.

It was nominated for the Academy Award for Costume Design.

Love this movie to death.

Right behind Gladiator for my favorite epic film. It's just awesome in every way possible. A+

Last edited by zingy on Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:59 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I thought this movie was awesome! I have no idea why anyone didn't enjoy it. Brad Pitt rocked as did Eric Bana. and orlando.. duh! we were supposed to think he is a sissy.

but besides that, the fact that it had so many badasses was just amazing. come on! one of the main characters gets dragged behing a chariot!! that should be enough.

Absolutely brilliant!

A-

score was a little anticlimatic as was the ending, but these are minor things relatively speaking.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:11 pm
We had our time together

I know it's not a perfect movie with many flaws. But it's really good entertainment. High rewatchability for me (saw it about 5 or 6 times till now). A-

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

very very entertaining great battles

A-

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:11 pm
Hot Fuss

I have no comments.

Just. B-ish.

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Good movie, even if it is occasionally unfaithful to its source. However, it's an awesome epic, and the fight scene between Hector and Achilles is fantastic!!! Truly the highlight of the film. Brad Pitt is completely believable as Achilles, and gives, in my opinion, one of the best performances of the year. I gotta go buy it this week, if only because I love Greek/Roman historical epics.

A-

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

this movie rocks! I wish I had seen it in the theater. A+ I had a blast watching the whole film and I'm gonna buy it soon.

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:09 am
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

Let me down though, i was expecting too much.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Aslan Reigns Supreme

I just finished this movie and I must say this was way better than Gladiator. It is the best epic ever since Ben-Hur imo. I really enjoy every minute even when Bloom was a wussy. :lol:Some of time i actually thought that it was real thats how good it was. Grade: A+

3.Click
4.Over the Hedge
5.See No Evil

Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:38 am
now we know

I just finished this movie and I must say this was way better than Gladiator. It is the best epic ever since Ben-Hur imo. I really enjoy every minute even when Bloom was a wussy. :lol:Some of time i actually thought that it was real thats how good it was. Grade: A+

I must i agree, Gladiator, what with all the mistakes (more and worse than a normal film) isnt very good now, so Troy is far superior, also a better age that im more interested in.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:58 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

I watched it last night, and while I didn't come off it shaking my head in amazement, it's still a damn good movie.

The Good: Good battles. Good acting all around. More than I expected form Bloom, though he still sucked. I liked how both sides were shown, so you must decide for yourself who is right, and who is wrong. I empathize fully for both sies, and I loathe fully for both sides, and it works brilliantly. It leaves a torn feeling with you, which leaves you thinking about it. What the movie had to say really got to me: death, love, war, and honor.

The Bad: Mostly minor things. The most important thing is the pacing, and the overload of characters made it hard to flesh out some of the characters that deserved it. And even the main characters, like Achilles and Hector, weren't fleshed out as much as I would have liked. In addition (minor quibble) the movie makes the war out to have last about two weeks, whereas it actually spanned more than a year. But that doesn't bother me much. Oh, and let's not forget Orlando Bloom's acting. Seriously, who casted him as freaking Paris?

I give it an A. Top ten this year.

Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:00 pm
You must have big rats

I watched it last night, and while I didn't come off it shaking my head in amazement, it's still a damn good movie.

The Good: Good battles. Good acting all around. More than I expected form Bloom, though he still sucked. I liked how both sides were shown, so you must decide for yourself who is right, and who is wrong. I empathize fully for both sies, and I loathe fully for both sides, and it works brilliantly. It leaves a torn feeling with you, which leaves you thinking about it. What the movie had to say really got to me: death, love, war, and honor.

The Bad: Mostly minor things. The most important thing is the pacing, and the overload of characters made it hard to flesh out some of the characters that deserved it. And even the main characters, like Achilles and Hector, weren't fleshed out as much as I would have liked. In addition (minor quibble) the movie makes the war out to have last about two weeks, whereas it actually spanned more than a year. But that doesn't bother me much. Oh, and let's not forget Orlando Bloom's acting. Seriously, who casted him as freaking Paris?

I give it an A. Top ten this year.

Actually the war lasted for 10 years, hehe.

Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I thought the movie was pretty good. No way in hell it was better than Gladiator but I liked it. Brad Pitt and Eric Bana are both great, the Achilles/Hector fight was excellent. Orlando Bloom... I just don't like him period. I didn't really have any expectations but I did like it.

- B

Last edited by publicenemy#1 on Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:50 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:06 pm
Veteran

hehe. i saw brad's ass. :wink:

and it was GREAT :D

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:29 am
Profile YIM WWW
Draughty

Seeing it again on DVD it becomes clearer to me what the problem was. It appears that the story was centered around Hector as the hero, and Eric Bana did a great job, he was perfect in the part. But Pitt's production company Plan B has a before-the-title producer credit and I wager what happened is the script got altered to make Achilles the central character instead of the villain which he should have been. It messed up the story bad and made it incoherent.

Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

Good movie but a lot of wasted potential.
](*,)
Nearer to the book, more epic, perhaps some mystical god stuff I guess it would have been better.
I give 6,5/10

Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:20 pm
I just lost the game

insomniacdude wrote:
...the movie makes the war out to have last about two weeks, whereas it actually spanned more than a year...

Actually the war lasted for 10 years, hehe.

That's still more than a year, isn't it?

Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:55 pm
Where will you be?

I should see it again, I only saw it once in theaters. Looking back for now, I'd say it's very entertaining and well made but somewhat flawed.

Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:06 am
Veteran

While it was technically great, the story itself seemed to be lacking some emotion - compare it to LOTR, BenHur, Braveheart, Gladiator,etc. Pitt was decent but a little miscast. Bana, Cox, Gleeson, O'Toole, Bean, even Bloom were all good. A decent popcorn flick that I grade a B/B-.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

I actually agree with you guys about an action-oriented movie for once (kinda).

The acting was not bad, some ridiculous accents by Orlando Bloom and Brad Pitt, but accents are not the same thing as acting.

On the other hand, while I thought Eric bana was good...very good, I thought he was overrated. I mean, I actually heard talk about a best supporting actor nomination? Come on!!

It's nota particularly strong movie, but it works and its really entertaining. And it makes me wish there were more movie like it, like Ben Hur and such (but no Gladiator 2, please :P).

It somehow just works.

B

Best Actress 2008

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

I agree with pretty much everyone's sentiments, good and bad. It had its momments of brilliance, yes, but much of it remained disjointed and rather lame. :(

I would give it a B.

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

:The arguement between Algren and zach has been deleted. That's what PM, AIM, MSN, and other such things are for.:

Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:06 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I think that the film was good, but I'm really not into History films, I think it was a C+ movie.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I won't deny that Troy is a heavily flawed movie because it is. As the pure adaptation of Homer's Ilias with some of the Odyssey mixed into it, it is pretty bad with tons of inaccuraacies. The absence of the Gods aside, it bothered me that the filmmakers changed other important points of the storyline to make this flow better as a movie. The fact that Olrando Bloom's Paris surivives was probably the worst of it because I was despereately waiting for Paris to be killed. It didn't help that Orlando Bloom's acting was terrible as well. Moreover, the movie made it seem as if the whole Trojan War lasted for some weeks, whereas in fact it took 10 years.

But these complainst aside, the movie is perfect entertainment at its best with some glances of depth here and there. The overall cast, with the notable exceptions of Diane Kruger and Orlando Bloom, was perfect. I can't imagine anyone better for Achilles than Brad Pitt, but the true highlights of the movie are Peter O'Toole as Priam and Eric Bana as Hector. O'Toole deserved his 8th Oscar nomination for this movie. The scene between him and Pitt in the tent, after Hector's death, was one of the best in the movie.

The production values were great. Art direction, costumes, editing and cinematography were brilliant. The battle scenes were sadly a bit shorter than expected, but still very well-done. The highlight of the movie, the duel between Hector and Achilles was every bit as well-choreographed and exciting as I had expected. It is not a masterpiece, but it is still truly great Hollywood entertainment that is very much rewatchable. It is not on par with Gladiator, but it's good on its own.

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next