Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mars Attacks! 

What grade would you give this film?
A 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10

Mars Attacks! 

Post Mars Attacks!
Mars Attacks!

Quote:
Mars Attacks! is a 1996 comic science fiction film directed by Tim Burton and based on the cult trading card series of the same name. The film uses elements of black comedy, surreal humour and political satire, and is also a parody of multiple science fiction B movies. Mars Attacks! stars an ensemble cast, which includes Jack Nicholson, Lukas Haas, Annette Bening, Jim Brown, Pierce Brosnan, Sarah Jessica Parker, Glenn Close, Martin Short, Michael J. Fox, Jack Black, Natalie Portman, Danny DeVito, and Christina Applegate.

Director Tim Burton and writer Jonathan Gems began development for Mars Attacks! in 1993, and Warner Bros. purchased the film rights to the trading card series on Burton's behalf. When Gems turned in his first draft in 1994, Warner Bros. commissioned rewrites from Gems, Burton, Martin Amis, Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski in an attempt to lower the budget to $60 million. The final production budget came to $80 million, while Warners spent another $20 million on the Mars Attacks! marketing campaign. Filming lasted from February to June 1996. It was made famous for the quirky alien laugh, which was created by reversing the sound ducks make when they quack.

The filmmakers hired Industrial Light & Magic to create the Martians using computer animation after their previous plan to use stop motion, supervised by Barry Purves, fell through because of budget limitations. Mars Attacks! was released on December 13, 1996 to mixed reviews from critics. The film grossed approximately $101 million in box office totals, which was seen as a disappointment. Mars Attacks! was nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation and earned multiple nominations at the Saturn Awards.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I'd say this is Burton's worst film, even worse than Planet of the Apes, which I actually think is kinda underrated. I read a quote from Ebert regarding this film which I think is quite true, something to the effect that his previous film, Ed Wood, was a tribute to the man, while this film is a tribute to the terrible films he made. He also said it's not good enough or bad enough to be a true tribute, it's just sorta mediocre. And I agree. There are spots of dark comedic brilliance (pretty much anything to do with the Martians), but also some truly terrible moments (most of the human characters and their inane subplots). The whole aspect of the Martians is terrifically executed, from the classic flying saucers to the 'ack ack' to their means of defeat. But the human cast is so universally terrible that it really drags the film down. Really only Jack Nicholson and Pierce Brosnan seem to understand the type of film that is being made; everyone else takes the whole thing so seriously. The subplot with Lukas Haas and his grandmother is unwatchable, the black family is laughable, and the Vegas stuff is cringe-worthy. Though it's a homage to the classic '50s B-movies, it is at once both better than and worse than those films, making for a very uneven and disappointing product.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:13 pm
Star Trek XI

I thought this was really funny when it came out, but it degrades on repeat viewings. One of Burton's weaker films, a start of his mediocre period between 1996 and 2003(when Big Fish brought him back to good filmmaking). C

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

D+

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:38 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Show me someone who thinks this movie is funny or clever or a worthwhile homage (other than a few visual cues) to any genre and I'll show you a poseur who knows jack about shit.

Yes, all of you who come wandering into the thread to sing the film's praises, I am talking about you!

I strongly suspect a certain bradley witherberry may like this film a lot. Just a hunch... :er:

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:46 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Mars Attacks BLOWS.

Show me someone who thinks this movie is funny or clever or a worthwhile homage (other than a few visual cues) to any genre and I'll show you a poseur who knows jack about shit.

Yes, all of you who come wandering into the thread to sing the film's praises, I am talking about you!

I strongly suspect a certain bradley witherberry may like this film a lot. Just a hunch... :er:

I enjoyed it sue me.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:49 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I am starting litigation procedures presently.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:51 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Mars Attacks BLOWS.

I actually loved it. Must've saw it about 5 times in the cinema when it was released (which is a lot for me). I thought it was funny, clever and a worthwhile homage. It also has one of my all-time favourite Danny Elfman scores, back when he actually wrote scores rather than inobtrusive background noise.

A?

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:03 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Five times? FIVE TIMES? Blows my mind, man. Blows it.

I think the war room sequence was the only time I wasn't in literal pain. And, even there, the final joke (a good one) was pissed away in execution.

Has such a great cast ever been so thoroughly wasted?

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:10 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Five times? FIVE TIMES? Blows my mind, man. Blows it.

I think the war room sequence was the only time I wasn't in literal pain. And, even there, the final joke (a good one) was pissed away in execution.

Has such a great cast ever been so thoroughly wasted?

What's your favourite film?

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:11 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I swear Yoshue would find fault in sexy time with Eva Mendes.

Yoshue: Never has such amazing breasts being wasted on such sloppy love making.

Oh Snrub go to the top 100 thread Yoshue has his complete list up there.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:14 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Singin' In The Rain. I liken it to injecting a happiness needle directly into my vein. Not a shared needle, of course.

Followed by Manhattan.

And while we're on the subject, Mr. Snrub...?

I just hope you don't say Mars Attacks!

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:15 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Gullimont, that made me laugh rather hard. :lol:

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:16 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Singin' In The Rain. I liken it to injecting a happiness needle directly into my vein. Not a shared needle, of course.

Pfft... Singing in the Rain? Pfft. Pfft!!

Ah crap. I can't foul mouth Singin' in the Rain. You would choose a bonafide classic as your number one. Why couldn't it have been Manhattan?

yoshue wrote:
Followed by Manhattan.

A ha! *rubs hands*

Manhattan? Man-CRAP-an, more like! Pwnzorss!!

yoshue wrote:
And while we're on the subject, Mr. Snrub...?

Probably either Edward Scissorhands or The Princess Bride. Admittedly two very girly choices, but both very dear to my heart. Children of Men's up there as well, but I'll have to let it settle in my tummy for a few years before I'll feel confident enough to call it one of my faves.

yoshue wrote:
I just hope you don't say Mars Attacks!

It's in my top 100.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:27 pm
Cream of the Crop

I thought this was really funny when it came out, but it degrades on repeat viewings. One of Burton's weaker films, a start of his mediocre period between 1996 and 2003(when Big Fish brought him back to good filmmaking). C

Sleepy Hollow?

Anyway, I agree with Gullimont and Snrub, this is a very underrated and funny film.

A-

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Stupid Manhattan and its stupid susceptibility to 'crap' puns.

Snrub wrote:
Probably either Edward Scissorhands or The Princess Bride. Admittedly two very girly choices, but both very dear to my heart. Children of Men's up there as well, but I'll have to let it settle in my tummy for a few years before I'll feel confident enough to call it one of my faves.

Methinks you got a bit of a Tim Burton fetish? Is it odd to think that Beetlejuice is far and away his best work?

Both of your choices are interesting to me as I totally understand their appeal. I understand why Edward Scissorhands can be so moving and beautiful. It's not my favorite, but it works. I understand why the whimsy and adventure of The Princess Bride can sweep people away.

And I know I look like a curmudgeon when I say I hate The Princess Bride but, damnit, I do. Yet I am willing to admit that may just be a fault within my own personality, since every person in the world loves it except for me.

But I'm right there with you on CoM and such. Something can't be a favorite until it's gestated for a while. Time reveals all.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:43 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Methinks you got a bit of a Tim Burton fetish? Is it odd to think that Beetlejuice is far and away his best work?

Not at all, it's certainly, probably, maybe my third favourite film of his. And yes, I do have a bit of a Burton fetish. Best of all, I've convinced my producer to try and book him for a documentary we're making. Just so I can meet him. Of course, the likelihood of him agreeing is slim, but still!

yoshue wrote:
Both of your choices are interesting to me as I totally understand their appeal. I understand why Edward Scissorhands can be so moving and beautiful. It's not my favorite, but it works. I understand why the whimsy and adventure of The Princess Bride can sweep people away.

And I know I look like a curmudgeon when I say I hate The Princess Bride but, damnit, I do. Yet I am willing to admit that may just be a fault within my own personality, since every person in the world loves it except for me.

My love of Princess Bride stems from watching at Christmas every year as a kid. I quote it more than any other film and to this day I can still watch it without getting bored. That you hate it makes me a little sad... :cry:

yoshue wrote:
But I'm right there with you on CoM and such. Something can't be a favorite until it's gestated for a while. Time reveals all.

Indeed, too many times I've proclaimed a film one of my all-time favourites only to have it slowly fade from memory and/or my favour (B.A.P.S, I'm looking at you). That said, the last time I felt as strongly about a film as I do Children of Men was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I'm almost certain that's going to be in my top ten for some time. So who knows?

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:56 pm
Squee

I wonder sometimes why Burton is considered an all time great director by some...

But then he makes movies like this and gets me to.... wonder still.

*1/2

:glare:

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:10 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Truly one of the most disappointed films I've ever seen. The cast was the best since JFK and was completely wasted to cameos with very little. I have seen it recently and its not as bad as I once thought. But still way to happy that its suppose to be a comedy when none of it is really funny, so its never serious either.

When Tom Jones gives the most entertaining of roles, you know your in trouble.

C

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:50 pm
Iron Man

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yow -- Tim Burton, even at his best has little respect for story, but here he discards it altogether, along with his usual artistic vision...

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:21 am
loyalfromlondon

bradley witherberry wrote:
Bad with a capital F!

Yow -- Tim Burton, even at his best has little respect for story, but here he discards it altogether, along with his usual artistic vision...

Wow... didn't see that coming. :tongue:

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:27 am
Extraordinary

yoshue wrote:

bradley witherberry wrote:
Bad with a capital F!

Wow... didn't see that coming. :tongue:

Actually, it seems Yosh is onto something in this particular case...

yoshue wrote:

I'm far from anti-Burton -- his PeeWee's Big Adventure is among the finest films of the 80's, but good gawd -- the guy couldn't tell a story if his life depended on it...

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:48 am
Teh Mexican

i really like this movie. Its been a while since ive seen it.

indeed very underrated film.

B+

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:17 am

Nicholson does nto make mistakes. This film was close to one, but he still was able to fit into his spot well as one said earlier. An underated film, but not by much.

B-

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next