Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Disturbia 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 5 ]
B 56%  56%  [ 14 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 25

Disturbia 
Extraordinary

Post Disturbia
Disturbia

Quote:
Disturbia is a 2007 American thriller film directed by D. J. Caruso and executive produced by Ivan Reitman. It is an updated version of Alfred Hitchcock's classic film Rear Window. Disturbia stars Shia LaBeouf as a teenager who thinks he witnesses a murder when he was spying on his suspicious neighbor while serving house arrest.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:43 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

This was pretty riveting stuff. Made me jump quite a few times. La Dog is in every scene and really isn't that bad at all. Carrie Anne Moore and David Morse are very effective.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:55 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I loved Disturbia. Its riveting and great performances from the whole cast. It mixes suspense, humour and romance effectively and doesnt run out of steam like some of these thrillers tend to do. It reminded me of a strange mix of Rear Window and Monster House set in today's technology savvy teen world. Morse is quietly menacing and La Bouf is actually quite effective. Go see it!

Grade : A-

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:27 am
life begins now

I might be seeing this tomorrow...either it or Grindhouse. But, I think this deserves a sticky and it might get lost or replaced so I'm bumping it.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:10 am
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

Not too bad; saw this instead of A Perfect Stranger -- due to terrible word of mouth on that film.

B-

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

A genuinely creepy, tense little thriller. It's pretty predictable and borrows rather heavily from Rear Window, but with seeming love (and updates to 2007 technology, of course). Shia LaBeouf is appealing and charismatic, while his sidekick and girlfriend are also likeable. Carrie-Anne Moss is underused, but David Morse is terrifying as the villain. Fun. B

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:42 pm
Extraordinary

Those are two words ya don't wanna have to use to describe a thriller movie ya just got done seein', but sadly, they fit this turkey like a black enamel roasting pan...

And I had such high hopes, too. I'd checked out the movie's pedigree and saw that the director, DJ Caruso had made three straight movies that I thought were great under-rated gems (Salton Sea, Taking Lives, & Two for the Money). But here he's gone a made a flat out flopping dead fish of a plotline, and hey!, I tried to suspend my disbelief -- I freakin' tried to nail it to the top of my skull, but damnit if it wouldn't stay suspended... it kept comin' crashin' down to Earth, with every hopelessly unlikely plot twist in this mess.

Frankly, I blame Ivan Reitman and Steven Spielberg, whose names feature in the executive producer credits. My bet is that they paid off Caruso's clear talent and then watered it down with their own special Process for Restoring and Improving Commercial Kinesthetic Synthesis (or P.R.I.C.K.S. for short). Hooray for Hollywood! Another promising director down the sewer.

It's a shame because LaBeouf, Yoo, and Roemer are too darn cute as the ersatz Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, while David Morse makes a pleasantly creepy villain (at least till the plot turns him stupid). Any comparisons to Alfred Hitchcock and Rear Window are simply wishful thinking. Hitch woulda never sunk so low as to compromise the logic of his plot like this for no good psychological reason. The updated surveillance media don't disguise this particular fact in the least.

Save your time and go see what the the real thing looks like in Rear Window...

1 out of 5.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:30 am
Extraordinary

Not too bad; saw this instead of A Perfect Stranger -- due to terrible word of mouth on that film.

B-

I'm betting that Disturbia and Perfect Stranger are the exact same film, except targeted at different demographics.

And now having seen Disturbia, I'm wondering if Perfect Stranger might just end up being the better movie despite the critical drubbing it got...

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:34 am
Kypade

sometimes I wonder whether or not you are sane, bardley.

only sometimes tho.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:35 am
Extraordinary

sometimes I wonder whether or not you are sane, bardley.

only sometimes tho.

:nutso: :| :smile:

(...don't tell me ya liked it?!?)

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:43 am
College Boy Z

One of the more entertaining thrillers in recent memory and the first surprise of 2007. It succeeds whether other PG-13 "horror" movies fail in that it actually has a group of interesting characters played by effective actors, it manages to be really creepy sometimes, and it's always, always entertaining. Never a dull moment. Shia LaBeouf is very good in this lead role. The Asian friend is really funny, too. Not a bad choice for the girlfriend either. I really, really enjoyed it.

A-

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:32 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I have never seen any trailer or commercial for this, but I have a sudden urge to watch this movie.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:56 pm
Orphan

I have never seen any trailer or commercial for this

What planet are you from? :smile: ;)

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:19 pm
Star Trek XI

I quite enjoyed this. Shia LaBeouf continues to impress as he goes towards the A-list. At times rather creepy. An "update" of Rear Window that delivers its goods. B

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

(...don't tell me ya liked it?!?)
I'm as shocked as you, really. But I walked away pretty thrilled and can't quite understand how anyone could not enjoy this. I mean ok, yes I can - it's sort of hokey at times, and the last thirty minutes take a turn for the outrageous, but the first hour is charming and fun, the relationships and characters are all very believable, the acting is mostly strong and as crazy as the ending might be, it still has plenty of genuinely thrilling and creepy moments. I just found it very satisfying.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:04 am
Sbil

Having seen both Disturbia and Perfect Stranger:

I can safely attest they are not the same movie. Like, not even movies existing in the same realm or universe.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:15 am
Pure Phase

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:33 am
Extraordinary

F is so strong nowadays especially for this film. It's not like it was Wolf Crap or the Number 23. However, I found it interesting and pretty much had my attention throughout. Isn't it getting tiring though how car crashes seem to be used so frequently to get the plot moving in films. I'm recalled the Descent and Premonition, maybe there's another. It's not that I didn't enjoy that scene but I'm starting to lose interest with that plot device. The story is very believable up until the last 15-20 minutes when things really get haywire but even criminals can go loco and do stuff you just can't believe they would do. Those last 15-20 were very tense moments of the film. I also enjoyed all the characters though Carrie Ann didn't do much in the film. Btw, how can one even close an itunes account? If he was using paypal he could just open up another account. All in all I did enjoy it.

Grade - B

On a separate note, I've totally had it with bad movie etiquette. I ended missing the climax due to a wonderful mother who brought an INFANT to the damn film. To be fair the infant was quiet mostly but she did have to go outside the theatre once or twice but near that climax point her INFANT just didn't want to cooperate anymore and was driving me nuts. I tried to be civil with her but she had to be a witch about me confronting her and well next time there will be no Mr. Nice Moviegoer any freaking more. It's one warning from me and I'm off to bring in the manager. Enough is enough with the lack of respect for the movie audience!

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:13 am
---------

Btw, how can one even close an itunes account? If he was using paypal he could just open up another account. All in all I did enjoy it.

I assume since he didn't have a job, it was using his mother's debit card.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:23 am
Stanley Cup

nghtvsn wrote:
Btw, how can one even close an itunes account? If he was using paypal he could just open up another account. All in all I did enjoy it.

I assume since he didn't have a job, it was using his mother's debit card.

this really isnt a response to your opinion but i saw ur from olatha kansas, my cousin graudated there last year from olatha south.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:28 am
College Boy Z

You can't "close" an Xbox Live account either. I mean, you could stop paying for the online gameplay, but that doesn't mean that you can't play games period (well, until the cord on the TV is cut off... ouch).

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:17 am
Vagina Qwertyuiop

You can't "close" an Xbox Live account either. I mean, you could stop paying for the online gameplay, but that doesn't mean that you can't play games period (well, until the cord on the TV is cut off... ouch).

My god, if that's the kind of lax attention to detail this film has, then I'm glad I've avoided it!

And I thought Night At The Museum was full of plot holes!

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:05 pm
Extraordinary

Oh, don't avoid it just cuz a couple of us brought up the xbox and paypal thingy. I only mentioned it because I use Itunes and I didn't get how she could close his account to itunes. Besides, it doesn't get out of realm until the last 30 mins when the villain just goes loco.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:10 pm
Kypade

The point is, when he could play X-Box live, he wasn't as cut off. When you can't leave your yard and don't have anyone to visit or whatever, I doubt playing a game you've probably played hundreds of times is as fun as playing "with" someone. Yknow? It didn't bother me that he didn't play regular x-box...plus, I'm sure he did sometimes. Just not right after having his "real" game interrupted.

Unless that comment meant that the mother couldn't disallow him from playing with other people and talking and stuff, in which case I say x-box sucks.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:13 pm
---------

Lol and again, I thought the mom deactivated the internet, that's why he was never online on his computer during the movie.

Jayhawk wrote:
this really isnt a response to your opinion but i saw ur from olatha kansas, my cousin graudated there last year from olatha south.

Oh ya? I go to college here at MNU. Awesome city to say the least.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next