Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Armageddon 

What grade would you give this film?
A 31%  31%  [ 10 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
D 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 32

Armageddon 
College Boy Z

Post Armageddon
Armageddon

Quote:
Armageddon is a 1998 American disaster/science fiction-action film directed by Michael Bay, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, and released on Disney's Touchstone Pictures label. The movie tells of a group of blue-collar deep-core drillers sent by NASA to stop an asteroid on a collision course with Earth. It featured an all-star cast including Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Billy Bob Thornton, Liv Tyler, Will Patton, Peter Stormare, Michael Clarke Duncan and Steve Buscemi. It is now released on Blu-ray.

Armageddon opened in theaters only two-and-a-half months after a similar impact-based movie, Deep Impact, which starred Morgan Freeman. Astronomers described Deep Impact as being more scientifically accurate, but Armageddon fared better at the box office. They were about equally received by critics (Armageddon scoring 41% and Deep Impact scoring 46% on the 'Tomatometer'). The film was an international box-office smash, despite the mixed to negative reviews from the critics. The film became, worldwide, the highest-grossing film of that year, surpassing the Steven Spielberg war epic Saving Private Ryan.

Fun disaster flick. Lots of undeserved hate for this film. It's the definition of a summer popcorn flick. A-

Last edited by zingy on Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:41 pm
Hot Fuss

Guilty-pleasure-cheese-fuuuuun

Last edited by Maximus on Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
We had our time together

A movie I totally love. Definately in my Top 20 or even Top 10 ever. Everything about this movie is great.

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

El crapo. I never been so bored with a movie and rolled more eyes more than watching Armageddon. I'm glad back then I only rented this piece of crap

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:26 pm
now we know

Good movie. I like it alot, i own it. BUt the only thing that irritates me is Ben Affleck and the "love" in it. Annoys me alot. But Brucey Bonus is brilliant!!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Disgusting patriotic movie. An american flag every two seconds, terrible acting across the boards, clichéd and whoever cried when Bruce Willis says goodbye has a real problem (E)

Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:58 am
Cream of the Crop

lol its crap! its a clear F! zero stars for this huge steaming pile!

Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:54 pm
Profile ICQ
We had our time together

Disgusting patriotic movie. An american flag every two seconds, terrible acting across the boards, clichéd and whoever cried when Bruce Willis says goodbye has a real problem (E)

Who exactly was acting terrible?

Surely Ben Affleck right? It's always Affleck.

Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

it was fun!.............yep fun.... :neutral:

B-

Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:31 pm
You must have big rats

Much much better than the utterly boring Deep Impact. The movie has amazing cisual effects, a lot of humor and enough Action. Who cares if the story is completely implausible?

Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Levy wrote:

Who exactly was acting terrible?

Surely Ben Affleck right? It's always Affleck.

Riggs, its an excuse because he doesnt want to admit that he cried when Liv and Bruce had there moment.....

:razz:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

The characters make this film what it is., 16 August 2001

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

May be spoilers

I think people become delusional after they have seen a film one to many times. How this film rates a 5.8 on the IMDB is beyond me. Armageddon was probably the best summer film in 98 and it holds that lofty opinion in my mind because it was as entertaining as they come. Jerry Bruckheimer has been making hits since the 80's when he gave us Beverly Hills Cop and he just keeps churning them out.

When an asteroid is about to hit Earth, NASA calls on the best deep core drilling team in the world. This is comprised of Harry Stamper, Bear, Rockhound, AJ, Max and Chick and a few others that die early in the film. But what we have here is a colorful assortment of characters. But what these colorful assortment of characters bring to the table is perhaps what makes this film a few notches better than many other films that are similar to it, either with an asteroid plot or as a disaster film. Armageddon is head and shoulders above similar offerings like Deep Impact and the much inferior Canadian film, Last Night.

I think the writers of this film deserve much of the credit for writing some very emotionally galvanized scenes that range from global despair, young love, family love, love lost that may rekindle and plenty of humour. Much of the humour is provided by two actors that have really come into their own since doing this film. Those actors are Steve Buscemi and Michael Clarke Duncan. Buscemi was quite famous before this film but his impeccable timing and perfect delivery of lines like, "Yea, I've seen this one. Isn't this when the coyote sat his ass down in the ACME rocket and chased the coyote? No really, isn't it? Because it didn't turn out too good for the coyote." And "Isn't it nice to know that if the space program fails, you'll always have a job at Helga's house of pain?" And Bear is played perfectly by Duncan. His best scenes are when he shows his vulnerability. Duncan is a massive man, about 6'5 and over 300 pounds so when you see him crying and asking for hugs, it accomplishes perfectly what the writers and director were aiming for. There are many seemingly flawless scenes in this film and sandwiched somewhere in between the humour and the action are some very powerful scenes with Harry and his daughter Grace and even with Chick and his former wife and son that doesn't know him. Bruckheimer and Bay wisely included a wide pallette of emotions to keep everyone interested and it worked as Armageddon grossed about 500 million dollars on a world wide scale.

Armageddon is a perfect summer film and it is one worth owning. Every once in a while throw the film into your VCR or DVD player and sit back and be entertained. There are few films that are better at pure entertainment. This is a grand movie on the scale of a Titanic. It is not quite as good as the sinking ship saga but it is certainly not as bad as many asinine critics will have you believe. There is enough action to please those from the Raiders of the Lost school, enough comedy to accommodate those from the Beverly Hills Cop school and enough romance and tear jerking situations to please those from the Pretty Woman school. There is really very little wrong with this film and if you haven't seen it, you have no idea what you are missing.

9.5 out of 10-- The best summer film of 98!

Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

An insanely bad movie, but entertaining nonetheless. C

Oh, also. Ben Affleck is hysterically awful here. If you already think he's bad and haven't seen Armageddon, you're in for a treat.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:48 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Tremendous entertainment! High adventure, engaging characters, and a wicked sense of humor, and damnit, I tear up at Bruce Willis' cheesy "goodbye" to Liv Tyler. I can't get enough of this film.

"Yeah, officer, we're all astronauts" :lol:

A

FULL REVIEW ON PAGE 2.

Last edited by Maverikk on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:03 am
I'm Batman

Bruce Willis is cool. But not in this movie.

D+

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:06 am
Veteran

This movie is fun at times but as dumb as they come. The collective IQ of the filmmakers is less than Forrest Gump's (people praying at the Taj Mahal. For god's sake it is a memorial to an emperor's wife not a place of worship)

C-

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:15 am
Profile WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

I actually prefered Deep Impact over this movie, but this was okay fun at the best. Seemed a little unbelievable and acting was so-so. Effects were great and so was the action. Pretty thrilling. At best, a fun popcorn flick.

B-

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:22 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

This movie is a shit-barometer and an exercise in how not to make an action movie. The worst editing in a major motion picture...........EVER.

F

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Very entertaining and funny, if incredibly cliched and cheesy. A lot of fun to watch, if you ignore the obvious flaws with it (things like plot and character). At least it doesn't pretend to be more than it is, unlike some other disaster flicks. Just a summer popcorn flick.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:16 am
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Talks about suspension of disbelief: my disbelief is suspended by a noose, broken in three different ways and livid with rage.

A premise this stupid hasn't been invented since the 1950's. A moldy cotton swab "asteroid" and Buck Rogers shuttles? Star Trek was a bit more convincing in its realism and scientific accuracy.

Solid F as they actually tried - at least Eddie Murphy in Pluto Nash was smart enough to realize it ain't worth trying. Oh, and Ben Affleck trying? If the movie was better, that would qualify as humor.

Last edited by Anita Hussein Briem on Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:35 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

I gave ARMEGEDDON a "D" for such Cowboy antics and a far fetched storyline that makes one shake their head in astonishment that a ship trying to land on an Asteroid somehow, someway manages to not get pulverized and explode into pieces with debris the size of a freaking house flying around this thing, not to mention the fact NASA would'vbe known about it well in advance and training a crew would've taken at the least a year to prepare for something like this, unlike a week that Willis and Co. had.. It had cool FX but the whole thing was simply hard to digest and I think DEEP IMPACT was much more realistic in terms of grimness..

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:45 am
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Thank you, BKB. I didn't feel like writing all that.

If the thing is "the size of Texas," we would spot it months in advance, and nukes wouldn't do jack shit to it, or we'd have blown up the Earth already.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:48 am
Homo Dperious

So bad it's good and so good it's good. I was entertained as I was supposed to by Bay and Bruckhiemer's incredible popcorn machine, and as I wasn't supposed to by it's incredible stupidity. I don't think I ever had more fun in a movie. If I were to base it just on enjoyment it would be higher, but I can't reward it for the stupidity.

6.9/10 (5.5 = average)

B

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:16 am
Profile ICQ
Golfaholic

I don't wanna miss a thing? I wish I had missed this sucker. F

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:44 am
Indiana Jones IV

One of my favorite movies...I love the mixture of everything in it, with humor, drama, action, romance. Rockhound is hilarious in my opinion. I give it a A. This movie deserves more justice then what it gets.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next