Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Wicker Park 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Wicker Park 
College Boy Z

Post Wicker Park
Wicker Park

Quote:
Wicker Park is a 2004 psychological drama/romantic mystery film directed by Paul McGuigan and starring Josh Hartnett. The movie is a remake of the 1996 French movie L'Appartement. It was nominated for the Grand Prix at the Montreal Film Festival, the city in which the movie was partially filmed.

Definently one of the worst movies of the year. The so called "twists" in the movie didn't even make sense. Horrible acting. Terrible story. I didn't expect a whole lot from this movie, but it was worse.

D+

Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:44 pm
We had our time together

I expected this to be bad bad bad. I got pleasently surprised. It wasn't the best thriller ever made but it was good. I liked the actors and the story did it for me. B-

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I was very surprised I ended up liking this but I did. Yes the story is a bit of a mess and some of the contrivances needed for Hartnett and Krueger to not cross paths borders on ridiculous but somehow I still ended up caring a great deal about the characters even Rose Byrne's mentally unbalanced roommate, and I would have be less then pleased if I didn't get my happy ending.

B+

Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:50 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I actually thought it was quite intriguing and compelling. The storyline was quite interesting and the performances were mostly great. Very underrated. B+.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:45 am
Profile YIM
---------

Post Re: Wicker Park
Ah, if only the main characters had cellphones or even e-mail, this movie would have never existed.

It was decent I guess. Josh Hartnett is super creepy.

C+

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:53 am
Wallflower

Really good film. Great atmosphere. Terrific soundtrack. Solid performances. An underrated mystery/drama.

8/10 (B+)

Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:15 am
now we know

Very good. It's the sort of film that, while technically great, starts out and you're not sure whether it's going to be a winner, but if you stick with it, it totally pays off. Creatively edited, with a sensational soundtrack by Cliff Martinez, Wicker Park is an intense Shakespearean-esque drama of a man and woman's desire to find each other after a 2-year hiatus. In their way is misfortune, new love, their professions, and a crazy, obsessed best friend, which McGuigan perfectly blends together to create a master-tapestry. Wicker Park shows the heartbreak from the male perspective, which Hartnett captures so well, while Kruger doesn't impress with her limited acting range. Rose Byrne, however, is very solid, but Matthew Lillard is not.

This is up there with The Notebook and Love Actually as some of the best romantic dramas ever made. However, I'm ignoring the fact that it was made in 2004 -- a time when mobile phones and email were widely being used by 18-30 year olds, and thus this film's problems would never have happened. For that remake blunder, it cannot reach the upper echelons of the genre, so...

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I am a fan of this one. It is undervalued, definitely. It is very stylish and heartfelt. It was rather betrayed at the time by advertising positioning it as a Swimfan-type programmer.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:02 pm
Wallflower

I wish this would come to Blu-ray. I need to watch it again. Such a good movie.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]