Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Poltergeist II: The Other Side 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Post Poltergeist II: The Other Side

Quote:
Poltergeist II: The Other Side is a 1986 horror film. A sequel to Poltergeist, it features the return of the original's family and once again sees a spirit trying to harm their daughter, Carol Anne. It received mixed reviews from critics (41% on Rotten Tomatoes) and did not gross as much at the box office as its predecessor, but was still financially successful. It ended up making over $40 million against a $19 million (estimated) production budget and was nominated for the Academy Award for Visual Effects. It was followed in 1988 by Poltergeist III.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

The scene where the priest guy strolls up to the house -- singing in the rain (?) -- creeped me out. As a whole, the movie was very flat, but the priest guy was effective.

So many years since I saw it, so I could be off about the scene.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:28 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Yea, its basically a tired followup with the genuinely creepy preist guy, who ironically died a few days after he filmed the scene. A big step down without Speilberg and Hooper involved, but still watchable.

B-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:31 am
George A. Romero

i actually think the sequel is a bit better than the original. Kane the Priest is fucking SCARY.

A

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:34 pm
now we know

This is a huge improvement over the dire F-level first film. I dislike all the "light of the family" nonsense, and that Indian chief and his black magic is also kind of tiresome (and he steals their damn car at the end, lol), but this movie excels because of Kane, the chilling preacher. It was a fantastic decision for this franchise to give its threat a face, and what a face they chose! I watched all three films when I was younger with my mum and only a few scenes I remembered until this day (both of which featured the preacher; one scene in this film and another in part III). That just shows how monumental he is as a horror icon even with such a small stint on screen.

One thing I noticed about the film is how similar the score is at times to the Rambo First Blood Part II and First Blood soundtracks. I am sure that Goldsmith reused and altered parts from those films. Oh, and I thought the inclusion of Zelda Rubinstein was pointless, and she only existed in the film for the filmmakers to have another link to the first film. She added absolutely nothing to proceedings. I liked how they connected the mythology to the first film, actually. I thought it was nicely done.

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Poltergeist II: The Other Side
I remember that I liked this line:

"I'm a warrior. A warrior would rather be defeated and die, than act against his nature. That is the path you have chosen to take, whether you know it or not. You should assume full responsibility."

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]