Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Where will you be?

Post Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Quote:
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon is a 2006 film/mockumentary directed by Scott Glosserman. It stars Nathan Baesel, Angela Goethals and Robert Englund. The film is a homage to the slasher film genre. It follows a film crew that documents an aspiring serial killer who models himself according to slasher film conventions. It was released in theaters on March 16, 2007.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:44 am
Where will you be?

I'm automatically inclined to love films made in Portland, but even beyond the local hype, this is an absolute gem. This is a really, really inspired nod to the slasher classics genre fans have grown up with. Like Shaun of the Dead it's completely respectful to the source material while making countless clever nods and references that only true fans will get. A mix of the mockumentary and slasher genres, it manages to be quite possibly my very favorite of both respective genres. Major props to Nathan Baesal, who completely carries the film on his shoulders, nailing both the deadpan documentary humor and the serial killer menace. Just look at how easily he can switch from one to another. Also, look for Robert Englund, Zelda Rubinstein, Kane Hodder, and other funny cameos.

Dark Shape, makeshift, baumer, this movie was made for you. See it NOW.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:59 am
You must have big rats

I saw this at a festival back in August and can just reflect MovieDude's sentiments on this. The movie was MADE for horror fans like myself and some others here. Simply astounding. The screenplay is easily the best screenplay for a horror flick since Scream. I never found myself sitting through the entire film with a huge wide grin on my face until this. The way it deals with horror film clichés, the way it references other films and brings in its own touch...absolutely hilarious. Loved every minute of it and so did the audiences I saw it with. One of the best horror films I have ever seen.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

BEHIND THE MASK: THE RISE OF LESLIE VERNON - 9/10 (A-)

Brilliant! A very creative, original horror movie gem. I never expected it to be this good and was impressed by how well everything played out. It's truly a gift to horror fans. The last half hour consistently delivers the thrills and surprises. This has a great shot at being the year's best horror movie and it's a must see for anyone who considers themselves a true horror fan. People who aren't big on the genre might even be able to appreciate it. I wish it could have found more success at the Box Office and can only hope it will find many more viewers on DVD.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:17 pm
College Boy Z

It's kind of brilliant. Like, seriously, this is a real treat for horror fans. The first half is great fun watching the killing spree take form, and the last half hour (during the actual spree) is greatttttt.

A-

makeshift? Dark Shape? baumer? ASAP.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:42 am
Orphan

Is this like a mockumentary? I really hope not because I absolutely hate those.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:51 am
Where will you be?

Is this like a mockumentary? I really hope not because I absolutely hate those.

It is but trust me Joe, you WILL like this one if you're a slasher fan.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:45 pm
loyalfromlondon

I thought this was just some cheap DTV slasher flick. Guess I'll have to give it a watch now.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:57 pm
You must have big rats

Seriously, every self-respecting horror fan NEEDS to see this.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

This movie is in serious jeopardy of being terribly overrated. Malevolence, another Anchor Bay horror movie, was widely praised and then I saw it and was like, "That's it?"

I don't like going in with high expectations because then it's very difficult for a movie to deliver and not be seen as a disappointment. Plus, the trailer makes it look cheap. Saw was cheap but never looked it.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:19 pm
Where will you be?

Dr. Lecter wrote:

This movie is in serious jeopardy of being terribly overrated. Malevolence, another Anchor Bay horror movie, was widely praised and then I saw it and was like, "That's it?"

I don't like going in with high expectations because then it's very difficult for a movie to deliver and not be seen as a disappointment. Plus, the trailer makes it look cheap. Saw was cheap but never looked it.

It looks cheap because it's supposed to look like real life during the documentary bits. But it's beautifully filmed with a .35 MM during the "movie" scenes. I'm looking forward to seeing if you're clever enough to get this Joe, but I don't see how you won't enjoy it.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:08 pm
Orphan

Joe wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing if you're clever enough to get this Joe, but I don't see how you won't enjoy it.

Could you be anymore pretentious :roll:

As it looks, the idea has already been done with the Scream trilogy, and a while ago at that.

But this time it's like a documentary, you say. Oh joy. That means there'll be people taking into the camera because that's just so fun and visually interesting...

Plus, some reviews have complained that it makes fun of horror films but refuses to go all the way with it in some aspects, such as shying away from gore, etc.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:57 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Actually, I never heard much praise about Malevolence (whoich I own, but still haven't seen).

And trust me, Leslie Vernon is very much DIFFERENT from Scream (or anything else seen in the genre so far).

Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Malevolence sucked. It's got nothing on Behind the Mask.

Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:04 pm
On autopilot for the summer

B for me. Considering the other horror fans on here were raving I decided to rent it. The idea is sound and the writing is as well. But something just didnt click. I can't help but feel that the leads were just not engaging at all. Leslie Vernon kicked ass. And I felt some of the deleted scenes would have greatly added to the character of the film. I felt the main girl (Interviewer) was really terribly acted. And the huge twist was easy to see.

Its a great idea and a sometimes it even is very great onscreen. But for a comedy, theres hardly any laughs, and for a horror film, theres hardly any gore. But overall, its hardly a "Masterpiece"

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:10 pm
Where will you be?

B for me. Considering the other horror fans on here were raving I decided to rent it. The idea is sound and the writing is as well. But something just didnt click. I can't help but feel that the leads were just not engaging at all. Leslie Vernon kicked ass. And I felt some of the deleted scenes would have greatly added to the character of the film. I felt the main girl (Interviewer) was really terribly acted. And the huge twist was easy to see.

Its a great idea and a sometimes it even is very great onscreen. But for a comedy, theres hardly any laughs, and for a horror film, theres hardly any gore. But overall, its hardly a "Masterpiece"

It doesn't have significantly less gore than Halloween, the best serious slasher film ever made.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:59 pm

Thegun wrote:

It doesn't have significantly less gore than Halloween, the best serious slasher film ever made.

Halloween is my 2nd favorite horror film of all time, so you don't need to lecture me less is more philosophy. The only problem is, your shown the killer from the getgo here, so there really is no buildup of suspense or anything like that. I mean, Im fine with little gore, but the Librarian wasn't even shown getting hit with the blade, she just fell over when the Dr. shot at him.

I know horror, I was the so called horror board here that never really came to fruition. It just didnt click with me. The script itself is one of the best for a horror film in at least 5 years. Doesnt mean it wasn't executed weakly.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Where will you be?

MovieDude wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Halloween is my 2nd favorite horror film of all time, so you don't need to lecture me less is more philosophy. The only problem is, your shown the killer from the getgo here, so there really is no buildup of suspense or anything like that. I mean, Im fine with little gore, but the Librarian wasn't even shown getting hit with the blade, she just fell over when the Dr. shot at him.

I know horror, I was the so called horror board here that never really came to fruition. It just didnt click with me. The script itself is one of the best for a horror film in at least 5 years. Doesnt mean it wasn't executed weakly.

Yeah the librarian's death was rather weak, but even without name dropping connections to the film I can tell you that it was a low budget film and yes, the script is really where it shines over the gore effects. I'm not trying to come off as pretensious to those who doubt the film, I for one just thought it was pretty wicked.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:34 pm

Thegun wrote:
MovieDude wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Yeah the librarian's death was rather weak, but even without name dropping connections to the film I can tell you that it was a low budget film and yes, the script is really where it shines over the gore effects. I'm not trying to come off as pretensious to those who doubt the film, I for one just thought it was pretty wicked.

And thats Why I gave it a solid B. Its A+ in idea and script, but almost C in execution.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:52 am
You must have big rats

I wouldn't call the execution perfect, but it is certainly miles above most horror films released nowadays and the screenplay is simply top notch. I also didn't find the acting to be lacking, Leslie Vernon in particular is excellent.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

BEHIND THE MASK: THE RISE OF LESLIE VERNON - 8/10 (A-)

Simply put, any horror fan has to see this. The script is absolutely brilliant, alternating from being laugh-out-loud hilarious to incredibly suspenseful. The opening hour, which is filmed mostly documentary-style, is incredibly entertaining - filled with many tongue-in-cheek references to famous slasher films and also developing an incredibly twisted storyline as well. And then in the final half-hour, this film actually becomes a true horror film - high on suspense, gore and visual imagery. It reminded me why I love and miss the slasher films in the first place, movies developed in an age before watching torture was considered "entertaining." I know a lot of people criticize this portion of the film, but I thought it was an excellent move. It took you out of the documentary style that was almost humanizing Leslie and reminded you immediately that he was the villain of the picture. The only downside is that the acting really isn't very good aside from the lead. While Nathan Baesel does a phenomenal job at crafting a unique horror movie villain, the rest of the cast barely registers. But given that this is an independent film, it is definitely understandable. Anyways, my grade is very close to a 9/10 (A-) and will likely go up on a second viewing. But this is one of the best films of the year so far and is really one of the most well-written horror films since the original Scream. Highly recommended!

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:00 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]