Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Breakfast at Tiffany's 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Breakfast at Tiffany's 
Extraordinary

Post Breakfast at Tiffany's
Breakfast at Tiffany's

Quote:
Breakfast at Tiffany's is a 1961 American film starring Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard, and featuring Patricia Neal, Buddy Ebsen, Martin Balsam, and Mickey Rooney. The film was directed by Blake Edwards and released by Paramount Pictures. It was loosely based on the novella of the same name by Truman Capote.

Hepburn's portrayal of Holly Golightly as the naïve, eccentric gold digger is generally considered to be the actress's most memorable and identifiable role. She herself regarded it as one of her most challenging roles, since she was an introvert required to play an extrovert. Hepburn's performance of "Moon River" helped composer Henry Mancini and lyricist Johnny Mercer win an Oscar for Best Song.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:48 pm
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

It may be a chick flick, but it was very interesting to see this movie.

For starters, it stars the A-Team's Hannibal Smith (George Peppard) before he had grey hair and hung out with Mr. T.

Secondly, Audrey Hepburn was pretty hot (although a little too skinny), and I imagine I would have dug her had I been alive in the 60's.

Thirdly, Mickey Rooney's portrayal of an Asian who lives upstairs from Holly Golightly is one of the most racist things I have ever seen on film. It had me laughing and wincing at the same time.

Lastly, I imagine this had to be an envelope pushing movie for 1961... a lot of implied loose sex and both Peppard and Hepburn essentially play gigolos that sleep around for money.

Anyhow, the movie has a nice feel to it, is well acted, and for all the points above made it worthwhile to watch. It wasn't perfect - it is dated and a little too chick flick-ish for my taste - but all in all, I'd give it a B+

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:13 pm
Kypade

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:43 am
Forum General

Post Re: Breakfast at Tiffany's
hmm this is seen as a classic film even though the storyline is a tad boring and the other actors are decent at best.

However the sheer beauty of Audrey Hepburn and the Song "moon river" keeps this film popular even today.

Heck, even my friends were just knocked out by seeing Audrey Hepburn.

Such natural beauty and the film is the most influential ever for the fashion industry.

Like the whole sun glasses and black dress is even tredy for today. How so, its timeless. :funny:

B+
Decent overall, however Audrey is the show...

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

A-

Breakfast at Tiffany's has definitely confirmed my appreciation for Audrey Hepburn. I loved her in Roman Holiday, found her enchanting in Sabrina and now, in Breakfast for Tiffany's, her darkest role I've seen thus far, she conviced me once again that she was one of her generation's best actresses. I've read a lot of mixed thing on Breakfast at Tiffany's and I must say that I throughly enjoyed this movie. In fact, I'd say that it'll likely end up as one of my all-time favorite romcoms, though it has a somewhat dramatic/heavy tough to it too (which is one of the aspects that made me like it so much).

I understand the criticism of Mickey Rooney's character and I also agree that the movie would have been better off without him (though he still made me laugh once or twice in a very politically incorrect way). Moreover, I found George Peppard to be an overly bland lead, especially when playing opposite someone as magnificent as Audrey Hepburn. However, many other aspects of the films made up for the few of its flaws that I mentioned.

First of all, it's Hepburn's movie. She carries it and pulls it off very well. I haven't seen Sophia Loren's performance that she won the Oscar for in the same year, but Hepburn was definitely Oscar-worthy too. While I loved her in Roman Holiday and Sabrina, Holly Golighlty is her most memorable role ad most remarkable performance. I think what I really loved about this movie was that despite having been made in the early 60s, it never felt this way. It felt modern and I'm sure it pushed some of the boundaries back in the days as Holly is essentially a slut and Paul is a quasi-gigolo. Not your usual romcom leads, even moreso not in the 1960s. The screenplay, however, makes it work and makes sure both have some wonderful chemistry and fully developed, flawed, yet likeable characters (even though Peppard is a bit blad, as I said).

On the whole, I think it's a movie that is hard not to enjoy. It's witty, well-written, has a wonderful leading actress and can definitely stand the test of time. Oh and that score (an Oscar-wining one too) is one of the best and most memorable movie scores I have ever heard. Even the people who are usually aversed by movies like this one should find their enjoyment here.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

If it wasn't for Mickey and if there only was a more charismatic male lead the movie wold rock. But basically Audrey did it for me. While this may not be her best performance, it's certainly her most iconic one.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:57 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I always found this really off-putting. I don't like it, and I've never been able to get through it in a single sitting.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:25 pm
You must have big rats

Be.redy, you basically have the same complaints as I do, only I liked the film more.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Now that I've read it ( :oops: ), yeah pretty much.

Though I don't find the score to be THE score - it's more of a musical background, considering it's almost Moon River and its various incarnations with somewhat tweaked notes. For itself - Moon River is absolutely beautiful and phenomenal and it fits perfectly and never gets boring, but I can't call it a score. It would be like if Guns'n'Roses put out an album with 15 versions of Don't Cry and it would be proclaimed as a greatest album ever, but it's actually just one song, not an album.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:29 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It's definitely Hepburn's film from the beginning to the end, although I didn't enjoy the story as much as Roman Holiday. The party segment was great, but I felt it dragged some toward the end. Still, as long as it has Hepburn... B+.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]