Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Double Indemnity 

What grade would you give this film?
A 89%  89%  [ 8 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Double Indemnity 
Extraordinary

Post Double Indemnity
Double Indemnity

Quote:
Double Indemnity is a 1944 American film noir, directed by Billy Wilder, co-written by Wilder and Raymond Chandler, and produced by Buddy DeSylva and Joseph Sistrom. The script was based on James M. Cain's 1935 novella of the same title which originally appeared as an eight-part serial in Liberty magazine.

The film stars Fred MacMurray as an insurance salesman, Barbara Stanwyck as a provocative housewife who wishes her husband were dead, and Edward G. Robinson as a claims adjuster whose job is to find phony claims. The term double indemnity refers to a clause in certain life insurance policies that doubles the payout in cases when death is caused by accidental means.

Praised by many critics when first released, Double Indemnity was nominated for seven Academy Awards but did not win any. Widely regarded as a classic, it is often cited as a paradigmatic film noir and as having set the standard for the films that followed in that genre.

Deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the U.S. Library of Congress in 1992, Double Indemnity was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry. In 1998, it was ranked #38 on the American Film Institute's list of the 100 best American films of the 20th century, and in 2007 it was 29th on their 10th Anniversary list.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:41 pm
loyalfromlondon

Exceptionally well-written and acted film noir that entertains and involves its viewer through the strength of its story, not its visuals. That's not to say that it isn't well-directed, because it is - the use of shadowy lighting and mise-en-scene is perfect - but the film thrives on the excellent script. Add in three great performances, and you've got a classic. Easily one of the best made films of its time.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:00 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Abolsutely one of my favorite films. I have never met anyone, of any age, who's seen this particular film and walked away unsatisfied.

I suppose that means the film still holds up for even the dullest, most brain-dead of modern movie-goers.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Double Indemnity
A+

Writes the book on murder and motivations behind it. Probably one of the, if not the, best murder movies ever made.

It's also a totally cracking character study and an oh so thrilling, twisting noir. It's much more about the 2 characters and their downfall than the crime itself, and of course that's what pushes it from fun to something much more.

The screenplay may be one of the best ever, the dialogue is so fast and so smart, it's pure finesse. All 3 performances are stunning, Barbara Stanwyick's probably being the best, followed by Robinson and then MacMurray, though the latter's character was the most interesting arc-wise.

Finally, impeccible directing and suspense. It's the best Hitchcock film Hitch never made.

Love it.

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:32 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Preach on, Shackie!

If you think Barbara Stanwyck was as incredible as I do, check out The Lady Eve next; it's her best performance and one of the most perfect romantic comedies ever made.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:19 am
Squee

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

That's what I think of this movie... when I want to piss Yoshue off.

But when I don't I'd say it is an excellent movie with a fantastic final act, not that the stuff before it was horrible or anything. My one qualm is how quickly and often that guy says the word "baby" :lol:

:glare:

Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:12 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I swear this film so demands a drinking game.

Each time the main fella says Baby you have to drink a shot. Guaranteed you'd be blitzed by the end of this film.

And the dialogue, oh my the dialogue. Let me attempt to talk the Double Indemnity way!!

The cinematic loop spooled out, its seductive curves impossible to resist. I tried to ignore its charms but like a smoky bar room dame it kept coming. Eventually I relented and it wove its spell, twisting my brain as I screamed for answers. What was this feeling I wondered would I be exposed..................aaah fuck I can't keep doing this its to difficult. And I suppose this is the highest compliment one can pay this film, the dialogue is that damn distinctive, that damn memorable and that damn hard to replicate.

Yeah its a great film indeed.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:42 pm
loyalfromlondon

It's written by Raymond Chandler (along with Wilder), so that would explain the stylish dialogue. I just finished The Big Sleep and that's gotta be one of the best-written novels I've read.

This film is due another watch from me. Probably over the break.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:46 am
The Lubitsch Touch

I am so proud of everyone in this thread. I mean it. :thumbsup:

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:27 pm
Extraordinary

baby baby baby baby baby

Now this is a movie with both substance and style. And Stanwyck.

A+

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:56 pm
The Wall

8/10 -> B

Pretty good. But Wilder has better aces in his sleeve. The femme fatale here wasn't as fatal. Stanwyck actually underwhelmed me.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:46 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Yep this film is great. It gets better and better at each turn. Though, maybe it could have used more Keyes.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]