Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Norbit 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10

Norbit 
Extraordinary

Post Norbit
Norbit

Quote:
Norbit is a 2007 American romantic comedy film directed by Brian Robbins and starring Eddie Murphy and Thandie Newton. Produced by Davis Entertainment and Tollin/Robbins Productions, the film also stars Terry Crews, Clifton Powell, Lester "Rasta" Speight, Eddie Griffin, Katt Williams, Marlon Wayans, and Cuba Gooding, Jr.. It was released by DreamWorks on February 9, 2007.

The film received an Academy Award nomination for makeup, though the film also received multiple "wins" at the 2007 Golden Raspberry Awards. Although it was negatively reviewed by critics, the movie was a commercial success.

Last edited by Joker's Thug #3 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:03 pm
Top Poster

Delivers exactly what it advertises. Murphy's performance is more Oscar-worthy for his comedic transformations here than in Dreamgirls, imo, though the makeup job is more spectacular. Otherwise, a very fluff film with expectedly stupid humor. B

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:16 am
Profile WWW
College Boy T

I'm seeing this tonight, I'm soooooooo excited.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:03 pm
Some days I'm a super bitch

I might be seeing it this week.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:46 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

I'm seeing this tonight, I'm soooooooo excited.

Guh-ross.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:53 am
Superman: The Movie

Wow, Murphy has hit a brand new low. If you thought Pluto Nash was bad - well let's just say this makes Nash look like Beverly Hills Cop. Murphy should be ashamed of himself after this. It's not just that it's bad, it's lazy. There is not one attempt at a joke throughout the entire movie. All of the jokes come from stereotypes, and surprisingly enough, not from fat people. It's biggest shot is at the black community. Let's see, we have two pimps, three muscle men who cry like babies, and one overweight woman who talks in that stereotype we all know and love. Did I mention she watches Maury? Speaking of Rasputa, Murphy puts no effort behind that character. He doesn't even attempt to make any vocal changes. It's pathetic.

And what are Cuba Gooding Jr. and Thandie Newton doing in this film? I know Gooding has been down on his luck as of late, but he's too good for this. Same goes for Newton ten times over.

Then there's the makeup work. It's no better than in The Nutty Professor. Whatever improvements they've made, Rick Baker didn't even bother applying them to here.

And it's just laughable that this film takes place in Tennessee. Anyone else notice the Hollywood Hills in the background on the Universal Lot (I was looking for the clock tower from Back to the Future). The town square and the streets look like they just came out of Hollywood. They didn't even bother to dress them up in any way.

The film is just flat out lazy and only a couple of laughs keep it from becoming a complete failure.

D-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:41 pm

I walked out. It was excruciating.

Which part? :biggrin:

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

MovieDude wrote:

When Norbit was getting chased by his wife for calling her a whore after he caught her cheating on him. My friend wanted to the moment he heard that fucking lisp narrarating.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:04 pm

jmart007 wrote:
MovieDude wrote:

When Norbit was getting chased by his wife for calling her a whore after he caught her cheating on him. My friend wanted to the moment he heard that fucking lisp narrarating.

:funny:

Comedy gold, I say.

Once Eddie got the Oscar nomination, how badly do you think he wanted Dreamworks to push this back just a tincy bit? You know, to like a day after the ceremony?

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

MovieDude wrote:
jmart007 wrote:
MovieDude wrote:

Comedy gold, I say.

Once Eddie got the Oscar nomination, how badly do you think he wanted Dreamworks to push this back just a tincy bit? You know, to like a day after the ceremony?

I loved him in Dreamgirls, but he really no longer deserves to win.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:12 pm

jmart007 wrote:
MovieDude wrote:
jmart007 wrote:
MovieDude wrote:

Comedy gold, I say.

I loved him in Dreamgirls, but he really no longer deserves to win.

Agreed except on the loving part. I thought he was good in Dreamgirls, but I also thought he was playing a version of himself which made the part easier.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

This movie's funny as hell, y'all don't know what you're talking about.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:41 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

From the moment the guy when this employee tried ripping me off at the box office, I knew I was in for a lifetime of boredom. I have only myself to blame. Jesus Christ! Thandie Newton why!!!???

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:44 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

Wow, Murphy has hit a brand new low. If you thought Pluto Nash was bad - well let's just say this makes Nash look like Beverly Hills Cop. Murphy should be ashamed of himself after this. It's not just that it's bad, it's lazy. There is not one attempt at a joke throughout the entire movie. All of the jokes come from stereotypes, and surprisingly enough, not from fat people. It's biggest shot is at the black community. Let's see, we have two pimps, three muscle men who cry like babies, and one overweight woman who talks in that stereotype we all know and love. Did I mention she watches Maury? Speaking of Rasputa, Murphy puts no effort behind that character. He doesn't even attempt to make any vocal changes. It's pathetic.

And what are Cuba Gooding Jr. and Thandie Newton doing in this film? I know Gooding has been down on his luck as of late, but he's too good for this. Same goes for Newton ten times over.

Then there's the makeup work. It's no better than in The Nutty Professor. Whatever improvements they've made, Rick Baker didn't even bother applying them to here.

And it's just laughable that this film takes place in Tennessee. Anyone else notice the Hollywood Hills in the background on the Universal Lot (I was looking for the clock tower from Back to the Future). The town square and the streets look like they just came out of Hollywood. They didn't even bother to dress them up in any way.

The film is just flat out lazy and only a couple of laughs keep it from becoming a complete failure.

D-

The town set looks very similar to the Gilmore Girls don't you think.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:46 pm
We had our time together

Truly one of the worst movies ever. Hated every second. F

Sun May 27, 2007 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Its bad... very bad. Annoying at most times but i laughed once or twice..

D+

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:05 am

jmart007 wrote:

D-

The town set looks very similar to the Gilmore Girls don't you think.

I haven't seen Gilmore Girls, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were lazy (Cheap) enough to use the same sets from the show.

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:15 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Contains a few funny bits, but mostly lame and repetitive. C-

Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:30 am
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Norbit
I found myself laughing a lot, but most of jokes are one timers, its forgettable with all the cliches, but gets you through one viewing unscathed.

First Time- Solid B
Overall- most likely a C

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:57 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

D-

Very, very stupid. Pretty much all the "funny" moments were just too stupid to be funny. I actually though I'd enjoy it some since I like Big Momma's House (B), Big Momma's House 2 (C+), and the Nutty Professors (B and C+), but this is just not funny.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
INRI

I have not seen this yet.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:31 pm
Horror Hound

I rented it afew months ago.

F.

Seriously bad.

I turned it off after 6-7 minutes because i did not have a clue what the characters where talking about.

Really unclear.

Awful shit.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]