Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Blood and Chocolate 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Blood and Chocolate 
Extraordinary

Post Blood and Chocolate
Blood and Chocolate

Quote:
Blood & Chocolate is a 2007 film directed by Katja von Garnier, produced by Lakeshore Entertainment and distributed by MGM. It is very loosely based on the young-adult novel of the same name by Annette Curtis Klause, which was adapted into a screenplay by Ehren Kruger. The movie was released on DVD on June 13, 2007 in the USA.

Last edited by Joker's Thug #3 on Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:06 pm
Mod Team Leader

The movie looks terrible, and has a laughable name, but dammit it's actually pretty good. The story is well told and the acting is very nice as well. And Bruckner is very hot in the film. All in all it was much better than I thought and it was a fun film.

7.5/10

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

What is with that name anyways? I mean I just saw a decent TV spot for it that was ruined at the end when the voiceover guy had to say the idiotic name.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:50 pm
Mod Team Leader

I think it probbaly explains it a bit better in the book, but in the movie, they werewolves run a chocolate store and a very successful one. So maybe it is a contrast...you know the sweetness of chocolate and the bitterness of blood...it's a dichotomy of sorts i guess.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I am truly shocked more haven't seen this film. ;)

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I actually quite enjoyed it. It was fun, entertaining and had a cool little twist on teen romance. Much better than I thought it would be.

7/10 ( B )

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

Not the abomination I was expecting it to be from the trailer. I thought the book was great and when I saw the trailer it was clear that they'd changed pretty much everything about it, so much that it hardly had anything in common with the book. While I rather they had been faithful to the book I will admit that the story translated well to this setting and there were changes I liked about it better, such as the ending. Agnes Bruckner was good and Hugh Dancy was cute and charming. I actually liked his character, which is mostly because he reminded me of someone.

Overall it was entertaining and the changes didn't bother me as much as I was expecting. It was better than Underworld and especially The Covenant, which was just atrocious.

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:56 am
On autopilot for the summer

What is with that name anyways? I mean I just saw a decent TV spot for it that was ruined at the end when the voiceover guy had to say the idiotic name.

Apparently its what blood looks like in the moonlight, or some shit like that

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:00 am
Extraordinary

I think it probbaly explains it a bit better in the book, but in the movie, they werewolves run a chocolate store and a very successful one. So maybe it is a contrast...you know the sweetness of chocolate and the bitterness of blood...it's a dichotomy of sorts i guess.

Err... chocolate is bitter and blood is sweet/salty...

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:25 pm
College Boy Z

Yeah, surprisingly, it's not as awful as the marketing suggested, though I wouldn't give it high praise, either. It's just a decent, "been there, done that" kind of film.

C+

Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:20 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Not as good as Underworld/Underworld: Evolution, but better than The Covenant. I'm really glad the movie is just over 90 minutes. I was afraid there'd be too much talking and everything that would make the movie overlong, but thankfully it wasn't. I felt it was pretty average for the first half, but the second half got alot better. I somewhat wish Vivian would have die saving dammit..what was his name...oh hell, the character Hugh Dancy plays. He is hot by the way. I've liked him since Ella Enchanted. The only real grip I have with the film is that it's not as raw as I would have liked. I think if they took some chances, chances that would have given it an R rating, it could have been a bit better. Also, Gabriel (sp?) wasn't a great villian, imo. Or misunderstood character if you will. But overall it's a solid film that unfortunately bombed badly.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:34 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Well, as far as compliments go, let me just say that it is much better than Skinwalkers. That, however, doesn't really say much because it's not a stretch to me better than that pile of crap. While I agree that Blood and Chocolate isn't as terrible as the teaser/trailer suggested, I would also disagree with the positive reviews in this thread. The movie is a very generic Rome and Juliet-like love story that really took no chances and got stuck in its own predictability and clichés. The werewolves here didn't really seem like "actual werewolves" you see depicted in most films, but much rather like normal wolves. But at least, they didn't have to bother with horrible effects like Skinwalkers did. I also think that the lack of action hurt it a bit, though there are a couple of nice scenes towards the end. I can understand that, though, since it's primarily a love story.

The reason why I don't give the movie a worse grade is that the both leads, Agnes Bruckner and Hugh Dancy had pretty good chemistry with each other which is needed for a film like this. Moreover, I thought that Agnes Bruckner did a pretty good acting job in this one (I generally think she's underrated, especially after her great turn in Blue Car). The movie is never boring or tedious with the things going on at a steady pace, but it simply lacks anything that would raise it above average.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re: Blood and Chocolate
I wonder if this had been released after Twilight if it would have performed better. I'd say yes personally.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]