Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Good Shepherd 

What grade would you give this film?
A 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
B 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17

The Good Shepherd 

Post The Good Shepherd
The Good Shepherd

Quote:
The Good Shepherd is a 2006 spy film directed by Robert De Niro and starring Matt Damon and Angelina Jolie, with an extensive supporting cast. Although it is a fictional film loosely based on real events, it is advertised as telling the untold story of the birth of counter-intelligence in the Central Intelligence Agency. The film's main character, Edward Wilson (portrayed by Matt Damon), is loosely based on James Jesus Angleton and Richard M. Bissell. This was Joe Pesci's first film appearance after his six year hiatus from acting between 1999 and 2005.

Last edited by Nebs on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

:zzz:

Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:57 am
Pure Phase

The year's best film!

Robert De Niro's compelling, erudite exploration of the birth of the Central Intelligence Agency is a film of endless fascination. Matt Damon is brilliant, conveying his character's inner nature without sacrificing the stone-cold stoicism we expect from a veteran spy of the Cold War era. His is, without a doubt, the best performance in a film this year. The supporting cast is across-the-board terrific, with the (yes, sentimental) highlight being a sizzling cameo by Joe Pesci.

De Niro outdoes himself behind the camera, especially in regards to capturing the small details which are oh-so important in the world of espionage. And Eric Roth further cements himself as a master screenwriter, as if Forrest Gump, The Insider, and Munich weren't proof enough.

I honestly can't recommend this film enough and can't wait to see it again. It's an incredible, incredible accomplishment all involved should be extremely proud of.

A+.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:14 am
Orphan

Best film of the year? Pfft. Blood Diamond is a hell of a lot better than this.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:43 am
Extraordinary

It's interesting how some people throw out "the year's best film" willynillily. Also, I saw the runtime was 160 minutes???? Holy cow. I was looking forward to seeing it and my dad wants to see it too but this runtime sounds a bit excessive.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:57 pm
College Boy Z

I did want to see this film, honestly, but yesterday, I was having second thoughts and my dad forced me to go. In the end, he was only up for about half the film (and not because he was tired), the guy sitting down the row snored like there was no tomorrow, and I glanced at the time on my cell phone about 385 times. NO LIE.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:14 pm
Pure Phase

It's interesting how some people throw out "the year's best film" willynillily. Also, I saw the runtime was 160 minutes???? Holy cow. I was looking forward to seeing it and my dad wants to see it too but this runtime sounds a bit excessive.

Some people = 99.9% of critics and many movie fans as well. Most everyone does a top ten list and one film, every year, is #1.

And the long running time is, IMO, necessary. It's the first three decades of the Central Intelligence Agency, a very long story. I can understand being nervous when a giant ape movie is three hours long, but the length is entirely justified here.

P.S.: Joe, Blood Diamond is a close runner-up. It is a brilliant film as well. Very moving.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:10 pm
Extraordinary

I did end up doing double duty today seeing Good Shepherd and Blood Diamond. The Good Shepherd turned out to be quite interesting although very meticulous and it had a split story going on at the same time with a breach of intelligence taking place in 1961 and Damon's story being told throughout the course of the film. The length of time turned out to be a small issue although I still think it could have been cut down further. I agree with a critic who brought up that the makeup dept did a poor job of aging Damon because he was one of the most youthful old person you'd ever see in the movies. Overall, I enjoyed the film and thought the acting and stories were fine.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:09 pm
Motherfuckin' sexual

A+

Every part flowed well. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Well done Damon and De Niro.

Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
life begins now

This was a fantastic movie. Going in I was a little put off because of the running time, but it did not seem as long as it actually was. De Niro made one compelling movie.

A-

Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:09 pm
Profile YIM
College Boy Z

Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:21 pm
life begins now

Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:29 pm
Profile YIM
College Boy Z

I'm not surprised to see the great reception here, though.

Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:33 pm
Sbil

I was considering seeing this, but I have encountered at least eight people who have told me how dull they found it.

I am very iffy.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:19 am
Pure Phase

Did you enjoy Munich and/or Syriana? Those are similar films.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:24 am
Devil's Advocate

I'm still vastly anticipating this. I'm one of the few people who thought this looked great from the start, the trailer was one of my favorite of the year, and these reactions only up my anticipation.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:29 am
College Boy Z

Libs, I don't think we agree on anything when it comes to film, but those eight people are right.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:29 am
Where will you be?

Yeah reviews have been better then I expected but WOM is prett nasty from what I've heard. I think I'll rent it on DVD, where I can take a stretch break or two in between.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:51 am
Mod Team Leader

The first half of the film is quite slow and rather boring. There is no other way to say it. But since the film is about espionage, covert politics and the birth of the CIA, it is impossible to wtay boring for the entire film. The biggest problem i had with the film is that it is so esoteric, so in depth, that it does go over your, well, I won't speak for anyone else, but for me, it went over my head a bit, and in several scenes as well. Being in bed with the Russians, the spies from Russia, the Bay of Pigs fiasco, much of that was confusing. But the characters are interesting and thoroughly well written but you really need to pay attention to understand it all. I might see it again to try and understand it better. It is a good film, and i honestly thought for a minute that Francis Coppola was behind the camera.

7.5/10

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:08 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I liked it, and the running time didnt really hurt me at all, I thought maybe it was two hours after I left, and to my suprise it was closer to three.

I agree that Damon had the worst makeup job I ever saw. That was my first comment just that. It jumped from 1961 to 1939 and Damon looks exactly the same. But most characters were like that as well.

The cast was good, and while the film was interesting, I would have rathered it was a film about the CIA, or a film about being a neglected father and husband with some CIA interludes. They meld a very awkward film in the end with a great cast and a lot of great moments. A final edit could have made this great, but for De Niro I think the film is a very good first effort by him.

The cast was great to watch and I wasn't bored throughout most of it, I just feel with the amount of talent involved, its a missed opportunity at a masterpiece. B+/A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:23 am
Top Poster

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:31 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Well im going to watch this tomorrow. I think I'll like it (bit of a 20th Century history and spy genre buff) - but im worried about all these "zzzz" remarks aswell as the running time.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 am
We had our time together

Despite it's long running time I wasn't bored for a second. The film was sometimes a bit confusing but not as much as I thought it would be. Damon gives one of his best performances ever and Jolie wasn't bad either (tough i wished she would have been more in the movie). B+

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:11 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

It is very long, and it definitely feels it, but I didn't feel like this was a terrible movie. It's just too ambitious. The cast is great and there are really no weak links performance-wise - Damon is the weakest, as he really doesn't do anything but stay quiet and stone-faced - and there are some interesting scenes, but everything is so stretched out that the film is as long as possible. The layered and intriguing screenplay would be a lot better if it didn't take half an hour to tell a single important plot point. It's very similar to Syriana, in that it takes the longest possible route to tell a story, perhaps intending to appeal to adults but really just turning off everyone. Also, because it tries to tell the entire story of the CIA, there's no sense of a singular story or a climax. The direction is mostly solid, but the film is entirely too dull and dreary to really be that appealing. It's well-acted and well-written, but terribly paced.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:52 pm

It had incredible acting though, maybe the best of the year in realism wise.

B-/B

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next